The Administration Thread

Boycie

12 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Thanks for posting @RoyMac5.  What’s striking about this is that Appleby and Co totally rebuilt us with careful management over 6 years.  After throwing everything at trying to stay in the PL they became more prudent, trimmed the wage bill and looked for bargains in the transfer market.  Then, bringing in Mac who let the shackles off we got to Wembley in 2014.  In the same period from 2015 MM blew a load of cash when it needed evolution not revolution and we ended up in administration.

Personally, I’d take 6 years of a careful and steady rebuild.  Play the long game.

We've as empty a squad as it's ever likely to be bar a couple of players. Do you reckon 'a careful and steady rebuild' would suit Rooney? I reckon if he wants to stay he wouldn't settle for a slow rebuild. He wants 40 players in. So if he gets them it's got to be with the aim of promotion.

41 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We'd be foolish to pay off football creditors up front, considering a decent chunk of it will be if we win promotion to the PL over the next 2 seasons with Bielik.

Was thinking of the bits that have to be paid rather than the add ons.  I suspect that we will be loaning Bielik out to release wages and probably a loan fee to cover this years charge.  Or use the Knight fee-  we know he's off- to cover the bit that needs to be paid.

17 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Thanks for posting @RoyMac5.  What’s striking about this is that Appleby and Co totally rebuilt us with careful management over 6 years.  After throwing everything at trying to stay in the PL they became more prudent, trimmed the wage bill and looked for bargains in the transfer market.  Then, bringing in Mac who let the shackles off we got to Wembley in 2014.  In the same period from 2015 MM blew a load of cash when it needed evolution not revolution and we ended up in administration.

Personally, I’d take 6 years of a careful and steady rebuild.  Play the long game.

The new Alex Ferguson who lasted 6 months needed it. 

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We've as empty a squad as it's ever likely to be bar a couple of players. Do you reckon 'a careful and steady rebuild' would suit Rooney? I reckon if he wants to stay he wouldn't settle for a slow rebuild. He wants 40 players in. So if he gets them it's got to be with the aim of promotion.

Very true about the squad size.  Rooney does want 40 players but that’s at all levels.  We need to live within our means and in L1 there are caps.  I think clubs are limited to 70% of their turnover on salaries, not sure about fees, etc.  Appleby would run a club that worked within that as he and Glick were big advocates of FFP.  Would Rooney go with it?  The limits are already there so he’d have to work within in it anyway.  It’s not how much you have to spend, it’s what you do with it.  I think he’s up for it, at least for the next couple of years, and that doesn’t mean promotion is out of the question - providing the bid avoids a 15 point deduction. But we need to get through the next couple of weeks first ?.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

3 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

What do you mean by the Mandela effect ?

3 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

False memories 

3 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Never heard of the term ?

It's an offshoot of simulation theory (ie we're living in some sort of computer simulation) but it's not been reprogrammed properly, a bit like a glitch in the Matrix. The name comes about because, apparently, lots of people "remember" Nelson Mandela dying in prison when in our current Universe that didn't happen. Why do so many people think that? Did his death in captivity lead to too many problems so the simulation was reprogrammed to one where he was freed? Why do I remember Master Bates and Seaman Staines? Of course it's nonsense, but it's a fun idea to play around with.

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Aren't we going to be limited by a post admin business plan for a couple of seasons anyway? Whoever takes over won't be able to splash the cash so I suspect Rooney will have favours to call in.

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes that's probably the way Rooney was expecting things to go. It seems Kirchner promised something along those lines, but was unable to fund it. 

1 hour ago, Kuskus said:

In my opinion if we need to cut costs down then maybe we could do that with our academy and we could implement a similar system to Brentford as they have a B team.

I think that’s the one thing we still have going for us, so I’d be gutted if we did that.

Also in terms of P&S rules I’m sure the academy doesn’t count towards it, so if we got say Mike Ashley as owner and he was happy to fund the academy then I hope he does. Only got to look at the players who have come through in the last few years and the transfer fees we should have had from them. 

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's an offshoot of simulation theory (ie we're living in some sort of computer simulation) but it's not been reprogrammed properly, a bit like a glitch in the Matrix. The name comes about because, apparently, lots of people "remember" Nelson Mandela dying in prison when in our current Universe that didn't happen. Why do so many people think that? Did his death in captivity lead to too many problems so the simulation was reprogrammed to one where he was freed? Why do I remember Master Bates and Seaman Staines? Of course it's nonsense, but it's a fun idea to play around with.

This is why you drink in London Arts Club's before capital away days, while the rest of us are in Weatherspoons.

1 hour ago, downsouth said:

Haha - We call them scummers: I know a few of theirs reciprocate but their main term for us is 'skates': supposedly due to a method that naval folk found to gratify themselves when away at sea back in the distant past. 

So Portsmouth became a naval superpower because of its seaman's love of roller disco's, every day is a schoolday!

34 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think requiring 40 players is about right. this would include current players to sign new contracts and also bringing in youth to top up the U23's and U18's. A lot of these could be free agents. It's not going to be expensive to top up the youth and senior squads with the right deals.

20 minutes ago, Mckram said:

I think that’s the one thing we still have going for us, so I’d be gutted if we did that.

Also in terms of P&S rules I’m sure the academy doesn’t count towards it, so if we got say Mike Ashley as owner and he was happy to fund the academy then I hope he does. Only got to look at the players who have come through in the last few years and the transfer fees we should have had from them. 

Credit for our Academy goes down to Darren Wassall and in the 13 years he's produced a lot of talent through that academy.  It's got to be the best outside the premiership.