The Administration Thread

Boycie

1 hour ago, Charlotte Ram said:

Appleby's tenure was not a success and we were not run in a fiscally prudent way, here are the numbers

2008 a year when we received a parachute payment - Profit of £1.76million

2009  Loss of £14.9 million

2010 Loss of £2.16 million

2011 Loss of £7.67 million

2012 Loss of £7.93 million

2013 Loss of £7.06 million

2014 Loss of £7.04 million

2015 Loss of £10.06 million

So in total during Appleby's leadership there were cumulative losses of £55 million, how is that the best financial health of the Rams in the modern era?

GSE pulled out because they wouldn't or couldn't keep bank rolling the losses and if El Presidente Sam Rush, (who sacked the manager who reduced the payroll by over 60% and signed some outstanding players for peanuts) ever gets near the club again he would probably complete the destruction of the club.

History always repeats itself

Didn’t they take a mortgage out on the Stadium for some of that and then didn’t they sell the club for around £50m some boffin May know better than me but I’d say they more or less broke even.

4 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Agree but think this largely shows the near impossibility of running a competitive Championship sustainably. In the end Mel's biggest mistake was he was incredibly unlucky. Any promotion (which might have happened several times given our playoff campaigns and had we not sustained such critical injuries) and we'd have been fine and he'd continue to be lauded. 

Being lucky would have been just that, lucky.  A get out of jail free card. 

I think we can probably all agree the actual biggest mistake is signing the wrong players for too high prices (we've been through the list a million times on here already, so no need to do it again).  But I think the more subtle and interesting mistake is that we held on to players for too long.  We should never have convinced Bryson to stay when Burnley wanted him, for example.  The same with Keogh, Martin, and probably a lot more.  We ended up renewing their contracts and paying near-premier league salaries while we were in the championship.  And then most of them left for free.  If you look at Brentford, they do the opposite - they've moved on Watkins, Benrahma, Maupay and so on, and then use that money to go and get the next guy, while covering any overspend at the same time.

5 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I think we can probably all agree the actual biggest mistake is signing the wrong players for too high prices (we've been through the list a million times on here already, so no need to do it again).  But I think the more subtle and interesting mistake is that we held on to players for too long.  We should never have convinced Bryson to stay when Burnley wanted him, for example.  The same with Keogh, Martin, and probably a lot more.  We ended up renewing their contracts and paying near-premier league salaries while we were in the championship.  And then most of them left for free.  If you look at Brentford, they do the opposite - they've moved on Watkins, Benrahma, Maupay and so on, and then use that money to go and get the next guy, while covering any overspend at the same time.

We could have done a Brentford but the administrators gave they away for next to nothing 

5 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Very true. It was the wrong and expensive way to prove that we were a big and competitive club. Probably something to do with a rich man's vanity. 

Of course, the difference with Brentford is that they had rock solid confidence in their recruitment of the next guy...

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

So he was a jinx from day 1?

CB I don’t know if jinx is the right word or not. I’ve long thought of him as a fake or impostor from day one  ?

38 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Agree but think this largely shows the near impossibility of running a competitive Championship sustainably. In the end Mel's biggest mistake was he was incredibly unlucky. Any promotion (which might have happened several times given our playoff campaigns and had we not sustained such critical injuries) and we'd have been fine and he'd continue to be lauded. 

Appleby and GSE got out because they realized it was not sustainable unless the gamble on promotion paid off. For that reason I'm surprised Appleby is back, but as he doesn't have his own money to lose I would far rather Ashley or Morgan who want the club because they like being part of the football world and owning and club, and for that reason what they *really* want is for that club to be in the Premier League and will do everything to bring that about.

See villa!

2 hours ago, Oldben said:

MA bid, interests me, but I heard a rumour that he's waiting to be the last person at the bidding table in order to try and offer a low bid.

I don't think that's a rumour, so much as common knowledge

MA only wants us when we've got a yellow sticker on us, the store is closing and we're heading into the bin

27 minutes ago, De22Ram said:

The end of the day the whole football finicial system is broke! Clubs are encouraged to gamble and spend big to get into the prem, then if they go down get the parachute payments! I dont know how to fix it but i know for sure its broke! 

When the flesh is so rotten that it stinks, the only answer is amputation.

Let 30 clubs cut away into a ring-fenced circus of football consumption - the Big Ten in one league playing each other four times a year to keep the TV money spinning, and 20 contender wannabes just below. The rest of the football pyramid is then left without a golden goose's egg to chase.

If that means Derby can only be the 31st best team in England, but I get to see a decent standard of football with sporting integrity and a sense of belonging, then that is mighty fine with me.

Edited by StarterForTen