Alan Nixon Breaks Silence on American Billionaire Bid

Kernow

20 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Vydra did come good in his second season, but I think the point about strategy is valid.

The strategy was apparently "buy the best players in the division at whatever price" and everyone knew that was what Mel was doing.

I can agree with that point. All or most of the other big money signings didn’t work out.

19 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Hey @Norman Why the laughing emoji’s? You can laugh but there will be the usual Mel apologists on here later defending him (again). ‘It was Sam Rush’s fault’, ‘he was just supporting his manager’, ‘he’s one of our own’, ‘duck the EFL’, ‘everything was ok till COVID’. It boils my piss that the same posters will post any old rubbish to support their agenda. Rant over. 

Who are these people? Name and shame!

I can only really think of 2, maybe 3 posters who remotely fit your description and 1 of them might just be a duplicate account of another, conspicuous by their absence.

Mel Morris ultimately being at fault (/a massive <word that would get this post removed for personal abuse>)  doesn't just wipe out the negative contributions of other people and other factors that lead us here.

You seem to have designated a little tag of 'Mel apologists' to anyone who even dares mention anyone/anything else though, so your list is probably bigger than my list.

I'd suggest you're boiling your own piss far more than anyone else is.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

10 minutes ago, Coconut&#x27;s Beard said:

Who are these people? Name and shame!

I can only really think of 2, maybe 3 posters who remotely fit your description and 1 of them might just be a duplicate account of another, conspicuous by their absence.

Mel Morris ultimately being at fault (/a massive <word that would get this post removed for personal abuse>)  doesn't just wipe out the negative contributions of other people and other factors that lead us here.

You seem to have designated a little tag of 'Mel apologists' to anyone who even dares mention anyone/anything else though, so your list is probably bigger than my list.

I'd suggest you're boiling your own piss far more than anyone else is.

Just enjoying myself Coconut. Up the Rams.

21 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Hey @Norman Why the laughing emoji’s? You can laugh but there will be the usual Mel apologists on here later defending him (again). ‘It was Sam Rush’s fault’, ‘he was just supporting his manager’, ‘he’s one of our own’, ‘duck the EFL’, ‘everything was ok till COVID’. It boils my piss that the same posters will post any old rubbish to support their agenda. Rant over. 

That's a good question, and one I often find asking myself......*goes on to blame someone else*

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/mel-morris-Derby-county-crouch-6322990

In other news, Mel Morris was asked if he had made mistakes regarding the purchases of such players as Jacob Butterfield, Ikechi Anya and Nick Blackman, and the wages that were approved for them.

”That’s a good question. I have pondered this, and looking back it is clear to me that my Managers and Recruitment Team did not do a good job. But you have to remember that this is against the background that fans were demanding stellar purchases at the time. Then, you have to take into account the role of Huddersfield, Watford and Reading. They were clearly selling players at the top of their careers, at vastly inflated prices. The players agents also were responsible for forcing the salaries up to unbelievable levels, and of course the EFL ratified all the transfers. Even HMRC didn’t guide me that the fees/wages might be out of proportion. In truth only Stephen Pearce offered any constructive support saying we could write the costs down over a 10 year period. So no, I don’t think I made any mistakes personally”.

Well frankly that’s rubbish from Mel. 

I questioned the signing of butterfield at the time we had hendrick who I thought was better and younger. 

so that’s rubbish to say the fans were wanting the likes of butterfield signed.

10 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

Surely any Mel apologists here can only be one of three things…

1. Mel Morris. 
2.His relatives.
3.Wind up merchants. 

I think apologist is a bit derogatory. It ultimately went bad for Mel, he did all the right things to start with but at a certain point when he got caught in a perfect storm he handled it badly and clearly has done things that leave a sour taste. Reflecting generally over those plus and minus factors - understanding how he / we ended up like this without all the emotive finger pointing, isn’t being an apologist it’s being logical, factual and rational. 

16 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

I will crowdfund it if Wycombe get a penny from us. It would then be a dead cert that we get money from qpr or villa if that is the precedent.

Dead cert as long as there is still a club that exists to fight it and money for a legal case! Also, would there be a case against Villa? Thought they were found not to be compliant (just) although I may be wrong. 

12 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

We ought to sue Boro for selling us Mikel Beck in the late 1990’s; purportedly a striker, he demonstrated that he couldn’t hit a barn door from two yards. 
Whilst on the subject, I would also sue Charlton Athletic for selling us Derek Hales in 1976 - somebody who scored for fun whilst at Charlton but whilst here made the art of scoring as difficult as plaiting fog. 

Beck was a strange signing and a poor signing for a team with European ambition at that time- start of a decline. 

What might actually have stopped Mel taking Derby down the disastrous route to where we are now is if there'd been a regulator for football overall who had the power to enforce ffp sanctions across both the EFL and the PL. If QPR and Leicester had been prevented from taking up their places in the PL back in 2014 (like Swindon once were from the old Div 2 to Div 1), would MM had even chanced overspending or pulling a too-clever-by-half accounting trick? But the knowledge that you could get away with it if you succeeded, or do something advantageous and slip it past the wide-eyed novices of the EFL executive (ala Watford and Wolves) must emboldened him to the point of hubris. The problem with FFP has always been the unwillingness of the PL to support what the EFL were trying to do. Without that, it's always looked like a chancer's charter, and what egotist can resist such a challenge? 

I have about 1% sympathy with Mel here. We’re all hindsight merchants. No one was really complaining when he spent the money. He backed a promotion bid and showed ambition you cannot fault him for that. He didn’t interfere massively with the recruitment strategy just backed his team and his managers (of which there were too many he did get that wrong) to get it right. They got it wrong and badly wrong, so I think it would be harsh to lay all that at Mel’s door.

The disparity of parachute payments meant we needed to spend money to compete, with better regulation and a more even playing field would we have avoided the situation we’re in - quite possibly. 

The financial position we are in is no different to the majority of other clubs in the championship trying to compete against the parachute funded teams. Apart from one fundamental difference, the other championship owners are standing behind their debts. Mel either can’t (in which case he should have been more prudent in the first place) or wont, making the sale of the club incredibly difficult and putting the future of the club in severe jeopardy, at best being relegated and set back a few years at worst extinct. 

No problem with the action Mel took while running the club and we would all be hypocrites to criticise but walking away with no accountability leaving the club in this state is completely irresponsible and unforgivable. It’s his actions since September that have defined his tenure 

Edited by BramcoteRam84