Sheffield United v Derby County match day thread

Ruud Aralliss

6 minutes ago, Sheff Ram said:

Not a red card for me. Penalty was a nailed on spot kick though. Billy Sharp really likes us...

He was given some stick but the way he deals with it here shows a lack of class.

We gave him stick during the game and then he gives it back after he's scored, seems pretty fair. The stuff after the final whistle and in this interview just makes him seem a nasty sod.

2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Just seen the highlights. Clear penalty, no argument there. The sending off : firstly, I'd like to pause when the pass is played to check Sharp was onside. Assuming he was, I can only assume the ref decided it was denial of a clear GS opportunity because it was a defender covering the goal and not the keeper. I'd like to get another ref's opinion because I doubt we'd have got it and I've seen similar only given yellow. But we keep giving poor refs those chances to make harsh decisions. 

It's how the ref determines it on the day, It was posted earlier that the ref said to Shinnie that it's a yellow,  A few blades players call him out and a change of mind is made, Shinnie clearly has a go at the ref pointing in his face and no doubt accusing him of being very a coward.

45 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Derby appeal the red there is a good chance it will be overturned Sharps heavy touch took the ball wide and there was a defender who would have been between the ball and goal In the next phase. 

On second thoughts this is Derby so they would probably ban Roos for the season. 

If we appeal they will probably send off Jagielka retrospectively out of spite ???‍♂️

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

I don’t think it was a red but I’d probably be screaming blue murder if we hadn’t got it if the roles were reversed so hard to complain too much. Whether we’d have got it if the roles were reversed is a different question and I’m pretty sceptical of that

Daft by Roos but never mind.

So would I, but then I would, wouldn't I? :)

That was what is becoming a typical Derby performance, with almost everything being left on the pitch again. Desperately unlucky with the woodwork, and despite being bollocked for being critical of the match officials, the ref didn't do us many favours today. Even so, I would have accepted the red card at the time, but to hear that the ref had decided yellow, then changed his mind (after being surrounded and harangued by the Blades players) made me think again, and the arguments for an appeal have some grounds. I am not expecting anything other than a ban, though. MY biggest complaint was the inconsistency in the decision making. Early on we attacked, and Baldock was about to get on to a cross, when somehow, whilst behind the defender and moving away from him he was able to launch said defender into the air, causing him to do a half pike with 3 twists. Great artistic impression, of course, but cheating. A similar looking, but actual shove in the back on Lawrence was met with the usual looking away and waving play on. And so it went on. As many have pointed out the Blades were diving all match long. I know Britain got a significant medals haul in the swimming section of the Olympics, but it might be worth pointing out to the Blades that the Olympics have actually finished.

The fact that despite the obvious body-blow of the penalty, we kept on trying, and probably had better chances from that point onwards. Brilliant. And brilliant from the fans, yet again, who could be heard all the way through the match - unlike the Sheffield librarians - we only got to hear them for a couple of minutes after Roos got sent off, and for some of the closing minutes after the goal.

We go again on Wednesday!

Edited by DavesaRam

2 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

So why did Sharp pass the ball? To be a red card, it basically has to be a foul that stops a player who’s about to score a goal.  Passing the ball to a teammate is the thing you can do that makes it the most obvious that you *weren’t* about to score.

Nope, It has to be stopping a clear goal scoring opportunity, which It was. 
It was a sending off. A stupid sending off by Roos but a sending off. 

2 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Penalty or red card Roos wasn’t on for the penalty. He fouled Sharp but it didn’t deny him of the goal scoring chance because the ball had been passed out wide.

Sorry. Two separate incidents. 
He certainly knew what he was doing to get Roos sent off, but It was a sending off no question. 

Just now, MuespachRam said:

Sorry. Two separate incidents. 
He certainly knew what he was doing to get Roos sent off, but It was a sending off no question. 

Yeah I would have been screaming off off off if it was the other way round but the rules are so subjective now I don’t know what is what. I only have my very bias opinion.