The best signing we've made during Mel's tenure?

Rev

18 minutes ago, Rev said:

As simple as the the title says, who is the best player we've signed under Mel's tenure.

My lad reckons it's Badly Johnson, but surely there's a more deserving candidate out there?

Dawkins signed permanently under Mel, didn't he? 

Great player. Fulham at home and away in the cup. Great performances. If only we had him now, we might retain some possession up front. 

I'm doubting myself that Mel was here now. Can't be arsed to Google it, either. 

Edited by Norman

Just now, Norman said:

Dawkins signed permanently under Mel, didn't he? 

Great player. Fulham at home and away in the cup. Great performances. If only we had him now, we might retain some possession up front. 

Smashing player.

I think his decision to play Gold Cup and Copa America for Jamaica in the summer Clement arrived did for him.

11 minutes ago, enachops said:

Some have worked out ok, without being great.

Ince - did well for us, scored a fair few. Sold for decent price.

Vydra - terrible first season. Great final season. Was class.

Baird - As above. Cheap. Came good in the end.

A depressing top 3! 

Yes a toss up between Ince and Vydra. Both were POTY and sold for a good profit. 

My pick would be Ince as he delivered over more than one season.

16 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Paul Ince? Matej Vydra? Bielik?

Jack Marriott before we ruined him?

You've got pretty much all of them there. Probably Carson and Pearce, who was always dependable, on frees. Thorne for a couple of years. Bielik may not be great based on his injury record and cost depending how it's being paid.   Mount if you can have loans.

Jerome was alright for a million. Definitely gave us another dimension and was surprisingly quick.  Remember him smashing the crap out of Cardiff in the snowed off rearrangement .  Haven't really had that nasty physicality as an option since.  Could have done with him tonight.  Didn't he start at Birmingham ? no surprise.

32 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Yes a toss up between Ince and Vydra. Both were POTY and sold for a good profit. 

My pick would be Ince as he delivered over more than one season.

Ince and Vydra were both decent players but the team was not as good with them compared to the Mac 1 team. While both were individually good footballers the side that played the best football since Jim Smith were composed of team players like Martin, Hughes, Hendrick, Russell, Bryson, Dawkins and Ward. Beautiful football. 

9 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Serious suggestion: Curtis Davies 

Great servant. Great role model. Great man.

Great wages too. 

Rowett signing Wisdom, Davies, Ledley, Huddlestone, Lawrence and Jerome all on over £30k per week saw our wage bill balloon up to £40m.

I guess it really depends on what we define as the best signing.

Matej Vydra is the best player we have signed. Tom Ince statistically contributed the most and we made the biggest profit on him.

Davies has definitely been an excellent servant though.