The best signing we've made during Mel's tenure?

Rev

Vydra - pure quality and the best partnership we had up front in years with Chris Martin next to him - ruined by sending Chris Martin out on loan to Fulham the next week - so hard to believe that but it was Pearson.

followed by Curtis Davies just a good centre half and a decent person from everything I see 

to be fair to Rowett he didn’t spend loads of money and generally brought decent players whilst costs were coming down 

Edited by Sparkle

This is pretty tough especially if you exclude loans most of the signings we've made have been bad, not even necessarily because they were bad players but because we bought them without a clear idea of what to do with them or how to get the most out of them. Some of the players touted on this thread are actually pretty good examples of this and they more partially turned it around due the perpetual turnover at a management level.

Ince - Directly contributed the most in terms of goals but there is a sense that he needed the team to be semi-built around him that's evidenced by him disappearing a bit for some managers and that he put an undue pressure on the team. Weirdly I always thought he played his best stuff for us under Wassell on the left and he looked a more complete when played there which suggests that with the right management and set up we might have seen somewhere else.

Carson - Fantastic shotstopper but did have some pretty big flaws in his game that I think often go overlooked. Always felt with his signing that it was a bit pointless and Grant was the better keeper given he was quicker off his line and far more comfortable in a possession based side.

Johnson - There honestly isn't a better example of where exactly our transfer policy was going wrong than Johnson. An player we signed on reputation alone that we didn't even do a cursory amount of scouting to see how he'd fit with the way were going under Clement for (at the time) a huge fee. A very limited player that also managed to find a role in some of our better runs in the last few years and honestly started to develop a bit towards the end of his tenure.

Vydra - First things first regardless of the fee we sold him for, we overspent for him at the time and given that we immediately booted out Martin he further goes as an example of bad recruitment strategy because we clearly didn't know how to get the most out of him (which should have been obvious) when he signed. But ultimately Rowett warped the team around him and built a plan around which proved to be mostly successful. On form one of the most clinical players we've seen but did put a lot of stress on the team around him to carry him. 

Davies - Cheap fee but high wages. Defensive rock but clumsy on the ball. Has been (rightfully) displaced a couple times but still there as a reliable option. Unlike a lot of our signings felt like a signing made with actual intent which proved true and has been a steady performer.

Bielik - Personally I think he's the most talented player we've signed in the last 6 or so years under MM, a player who seems like he can do it all and drags the performance level of the whole side up. But we spent a huge amount of money on him and has only played 33 games for us in total.

I think I'd go with Bielik if honest. I can see the argument for Ince as well and I can see the argument for Vydra given the fee we sold him for. But what tells it's own story is that even the all the contenders for "best" signing have some caveat next to them.

Best signings in rhe Morris reign. 

Would be Vydra, Curtis Davis, both Rowett signings, Tom Ince was a exciting player and we made money on him. Also having Mount and Tomri on loan was a pleasure seeing 2 top young players, always knew these 2 would go on to better things, for me Mount will be one of Englands best players for the next 8 years at least. 

18 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

Best signings in rhe Morris reign. 

Would be Vydra, Curtis Davis, both Rowett signings, Tom Ince was a exciting player and we made money on him. Also having Mount and Tomri on loan was a pleasure seeing 2 top young players, always knew these 2 would go on to better things, for me Mount will be one of Englands best players for the next 8 years at least. 

Vydra was a Pearson signing ?