The best signing we've made during Mel's tenure?

Rev

1 minute ago, Ramarena said:

Your lad makes an interesting choice. I really liked johnson exactly the sort of player you need in this division, sadly he was very much overpriced.

He also didn’t pass the fans test, they didn’t approve of his technical limitations despite his other valuable attributes so he was dismissed as just being poo!

He was a vital cog in two spells. The unbeaten run under Mac2. And the late form that got us to Wembley under Lampard.

He also had a knack of making things happen. Not always for the best though.

3 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Your lad makes an interesting choice. I really liked johnson exactly the sort of player you need in this division, sadly he was very much overpriced.

He also didn’t pass the fans test, they didn’t approve of his technical limitations despite his other valuable attributes so he was dismissed as just being poo!

More that he didn't fit. He fitted better under Lampard but he didn't really like him. 

15 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

There's a few we got good value out of without ever being amazing, Andi Weimann for example, of Darren Bent on a loan then free (granted his wages probably weren't good value)

Realistically though, it's got to be Ince. And ol' Snakie insisted on selling him to get captain Tom in.

Bent certainly knew where the goal was. Decent and underrated (for us).

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

The £40m figure is in the accounts and was well documented.

The wages of those players I was told by former colleagues.

Know the wage bill was £40m but never seen it reported that any of them were on over £30k per week.

Not that it makes much difference, none of them were value for money anyway.

Carson was the best signing - cheap and excellent for several seasons.

Vydra was a very good signing - the best #10 in the league, who exceled as soon as we played him as a #10 (funny that)

I always thought that Ince made the team worse, despite scoring some very good goals. Still a decent signing as we made a profit, but no where near the best.

What is a bit upsetting though is that even Carson or Vydra were not as good a signings as Bryson, Russell, Ward, Keogh, Martin, Forsyth, Brayford or Buxton. Come back Simon Clough, all is forgiven (except maybe Conor Sammon).

1 hour ago, BondJovi said:

He was a vital cog in two spells. The unbeaten run under Mac2. And the late form that got us to Wembley under Lampard.

He ran the show at Old Trafford when we beat them too

7 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Vydra was a very good signing - the best #10 in the league, who exceled as soon as we played him as a #10 (funny that)

I always thought that Ince made the team worse, despite scoring some very good goals. Still a decent signing as we made a profit, but no where near the best.

What is a bit upsetting though is that even Carson or Vydra were not as good a signings as Bryson, Russell, Ward, Keogh, Martin, Forsyth, Brayford or Buxton. Come back Simon Clough, all is forgiven (except maybe Conor Sammon).

I even preferred Grant to Carson (as good as Carson was) 

8 hours ago, BondJovi said:

It’s amazing how good players become when they aren’t playing for us. 
johnson was very very average, in fact the dictionary definition of average at his BEST. At his worst (which was75% of the time) he was complete dog excrement and a total waste of a shirt. 

7 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

Conor Sammon. He would pretty much walk into our team now though wouldn’t he. Perhaps we could appoint Simon and Nigel as head of scouting because it has to be said, they did ok! Who would have thought Brian’s sons would know more than Mel’s and Steve McClaren’s. What a funny club we are. I wonder if Mel Sage and Gary Micklewhite have children who could form our scouting team. 

4 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Conor Sammon. He would pretty much walk into our team now though wouldn’t he. Perhaps we could appoint Simon and Nigel as head of scouting because it has to be said, they did ok! Who would have thought Brian’s sons would know more than Mel’s and Steve McClaren’s. What a funny club we are. I wonder if Mel Sage and Gary Micklewhite have children who could form our scouting team. 

Him and Jerome up front. Probably get them both for 100k now  We'd probably not get many goals but plenty of centre halves would have black eyes and sore heads. Be handy to dish it out for once. 

Edited by Gee SCREAMER !!

5 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

It’s amazing how good players become when they aren’t playing for us. 
johnson was very very average, in fact the dictionary definition of average at his BEST. At his worst (which was75% of the time) he was complete dog excrement and a total waste of a shirt. 

He was absolutely immense in that run under McClaren though. In that run we were solid defensively (I think we broke clean sheet records) and he was an absolute beast screening for Keogh and Pearce. 

He definitely was the best anchor we had under Lampard as well. As good as Huddlestone’s passing range was Johnson brought structure to the team.

At his best for us he was a better Eustace. 

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Him and Jerome up front. Probably get them both for 100k now  We'd probably not get many goals but plenty of centre halves would have black eyes and sore heads. Be handy to dish it out for once. 

I always jokingly wondered how good a football would be if they had Conor Sammon’s body but Chrissy Martin’s technique and intelligence. 

1 minute ago, cannable said:

He was absolutely immense in that run under McClaren though. In that run we were solid defensively (I think we broke clean sheet records) and he was an absolute beast screening for Keogh and Pearce. 

He definitely was the best anchor we had under Lampard as well. As good as Huddlestone’s passing range was Johnson brought structure to the team.

At his best for us he was a better Eustace. 

No way was he better than Eustace for us at CDM. Not even close. 

8 hours ago, TimRam said:

Bent certainly knew where the goal was. Decent and underrated (for us).

I keep reading that Marriott was unfit and lazy.  Bent was like Rip Van Winkle compared to him.  Should have been able to get 25 goals a season in this league but was 20 pounds too heavy and wouldn't move more than 10 feet.  Another final payday member.

Just now, sage said:

No way was he better than Eustace for us at CDM. Not even close. 

Meh, I don’t think Eustace would have looked as good as Johnson did in 16/17. You can’t underestimate how good he was in the air. Teams would target Keogh aerially if they had a lump up front but whenever Johnson was sitting he’d screen target men so effectively it wasn’t even an issue. 

Under Lampard he did, on occasions, show that he could run football matches himself as well. Brentford and Man United spring to mind. 

Eustace was certainly more consistent and streetwise. I know a lot of that Derby team say he’s the best that they’ve ever played with - which always surprised me when you think how good Thorne was.

On 11/09/2021 at 00:11, Bris Vegas said:

Great wages too. 

Rowett signing Wisdom, Davies, Ledley, Huddlestone, Lawrence and Jerome all on over £30k per week saw our wage bill balloon up to £40m.

I guess it really depends on what we define as the best signing.

Matej Vydra is the best player we have signed. Tom Ince statistically contributed the most and we made the biggest profit on him.

Davies has definitely been an excellent servant though.

Read the OP’s question. Wages are not mentioned. Without a shadow of a doubt it’s Huddlestone 

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

Meh, I don’t think Eustace would have looked as good as Johnson did in 16/17. You can’t underestimate how good he was in the air. Teams would target Keogh aerially if they had a lump up front but whenever Johnson was sitting he’d screen target men so effectively it wasn’t even an issue. 

Under Lampard he did, on occasions, show that he could run football matches himself as well. Brentford and Man United spring to mind. 

Eustace was certainly more consistent and streetwise. I know a lot of that Derby team say he’s the best that they’ve ever played with - which always surprised me when you think how good Thorne was.

Memory might be playing tricks here, but Johnson seemed to play well under Rowett when he played with Ledley during a run October to December when we were stuffing Hull  and Villa and digging out very physical draws at places like Brentford. Then Ledley got injured and his form dropped off.   Ledley seemed a good foil for him.

11 minutes ago, cannable said:

He did make some good headers but also lost his man several times at corners when we conceded goals. 

Badly Johnson.