Who will have the best career?

sage

Who will have the best career?  

218 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

My bad. Google converted 1.73m to '5.67' which is actually 5 foot 8 - still pretty small. Hendrick is 6 foot 1 by the way.

I've been done by that before tbf. Spent ages thinking I was 5 foot 9 after I tried to convert my height from cm, until I clocked it was telling me I was 5.9 feet!

I'd go with Jason Knight at this stage. In their short careers so far, he's been the most consistent in my opinion, and probably the most favoured by whoever has managed at the time. Sibley and Bird's combined games for Derby only just surpass Knight's total. If it wasn't for injuries, they probably wouldn't.

He's the type of player that most managers will generally love. Tireless, endless running, not afraid to get stuck in, decent on the ball, box-to-box, pops up with a couple goals etc. I think he could fit in to a top level Championship side now, and would definitely play in the PL in the not-too-distant future.

It might be a similar case of Hendrick and Hughes. Hendrick's versatility has allowed him to become a solid lower-PL level player, playing around 70 extra games at PL level. I think Knight will probably end up at that level too.

Hendrick could make another 300 PL appearances playing for teams like Burnley & Newcastle but I honestly don't take the simple fact of making lots of PL appearances as proof of a good career.

If he'd spent the last few years being traded around high end Championship teams, being a standout performer,  impacting more games, scoring more goals I'd consider that a better career being consistently unremarkable worker in unremarkable teams, getting by doing the bare minimum I'd actually consider that a better career than the one he's having.

What's he really got to remember about anything in the past 5 years that beats what he experienced here under McClaren? He must be bored 'whitless'

Edited by Coconut's Beard

12 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

I reckon Bird could do a Hendrick and play the best part of 200 Premier league games without anyone really noticing 

Precisely why I voted for him. He's a poor man's Michael Carrick. 

Does the simple things, keeps fit, no particular weak side to his game other than safety first approach and not bags of pace leading to not many goals. Definitely not got the highest ceiling of the 3 but is most likely to reach his potential. 

12 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Hendrick could make another 300 PL appearances playing for teams like Burnley & Newcastle but I honestly don't take the simple fact of making lots of PL appearances as proof of a good career.

If he'd spent the last few years being traded around high end Championship teams, being a standout performer,  impacting more games, scoring more goals I'd consider that a better career being consistently unremarkable worker in unremarkable teams, getting by doing the bare minimum I'd actually consider that a better career than the one he's having.

What's he really got to remember about anything in the past 5 years that beats what he experienced here under McClaren? He must be bored 'whitless'

I'd say consistently playing in the top division in England and earning £40k or so a week at two seperate clubs suggest that he has had a fantastic career and probably much better than most of us thought when he broke through. When Burnley paid us £10m or so for him I and many others thought that that was a crazy price at the time but he has gone on to justify it. I take your point about it being more exciting at the top end of the Championship but ultimately he has tested himself at the highest level and succeeded. If we were running the same poll a few years back with Hughes and Hendrick we would all have voted Hughes as the one with most potential I think and it is a difficult call to say who has done better to date.  

16 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I've been done by that before tbf. Spent ages thinking I was 5 foot 9 after I tried to convert my height from cm, until I clocked it was telling me I was 5.9 feet!

You must have at some stage thought you were a dwarf with all that crouching over you do.

On 27/08/2021 at 13:18, Coconut's Beard said:

Hendrick certainly hasn’t had a career to tell the grandkids about.

A few decent performances in a battling Burnley side before becoming a bench player at Newcastle.

But his bank balance will be something to be fond of.

He’s probably been on north of £40k per week for the past five years now yet if he was German and came through at a Bundesliga II side I reckon his ceiling would be lower German top-flight or like Basel or something on around €15k per week.

Shows the benefit of the PL. Average players can make lots of money.

Edited by Bris Vegas

It's hard to tell. If you look at how good Hughes and Hendrik were when they were here and their career progression it shows how difficult it is to judge. Hughes was certainly a better player at 18/19 than any one player in the middle we have now and they're 20/21 so I wouldn't want to say what Knight or Bird will be doing in a few years. It's obvious to say but it just depends on how they all mature both physically and mentally in the next year or two. 

I think Sibley probably has the greatest potential for me. He's an exciting player that makes things happen when he's on the pitch and looks to be our most threatening forward when he's played in the correct position. But again, I could easily see him slipping into a lower end championship/top league 1 player if things don't quite go his way. 

Totally going against the grain here but I don't think anyone of our current lot will ever have any sort of career in the Premier League.I think we as Derby County fans have an exaggerated view of these players ability.They've been knocking around our first team for two or three seasons now but have they really kicked on? They've also barely scored a goal between them.I just don't see Premier League clubs queueing up to sign players like these... sorry..hope I'm wrong.

I expect Knight. 

He's the one who's already made the step up to international level, and who if he moved to the Premier League would be near enough a starter. The other  2 are playing catch up.

The other 2 have something but I can't see Bird catching as much attention to make the same impact. He'll probably be the one with us longest. England not nearly as easy to get into as Ireland either.

Sibley will catch attention, but needs a consistent double figures season to step up as anything other than a Leeds reserve player and rot there. Maybe he should go to Germany?

All 3 will have decent careers in the top 2 divisions, but Knight seems the most likely due to a higher level of development to date.

2 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

It's hard to tell. If you look at how good Hughes and Hendrik were when they were here and their career progression it shows how difficult it is to judge. Hughes was certainly a better player at 18/19 than any one player in the middle we have now and they're 20/21 so I wouldn't want to say what Knight or Bird will be doing in a few years. It's obvious to say but it just depends on how they all mature both physically and mentally in the next year or two. 

I think Sibley probably has the greatest potential for me. He's an exciting player that makes things happen when he's on the pitch and looks to be our most threatening forward when he's played in the correct position. But again, I could easily see him slipping into a lower end championship/top league 1 player if things don't quite go his way. 

I think Hughes arguably looked better than all 3 but I think all 3 look further ahead than Hendrick at 20. 

As an aside Hughes at 18/19 was playing in a good side that was playing to his strengths, which all of the current lot arguably didn't have for a huge chunk of their time so far (i.e. last season).