Takeover Update

Arsene Titman

7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Do you really think the meetings really take up that much of the clubs time? 

They are set up to deal with normal times. They are in crisis, trying to handle transfers, EFl, HMRC, auditors, awful press everywhere. There is clearly tension between manager and owner and they are apparently trying to handle more than one negotiation with possible buyers and all their information requests and requests for calls and meetings. So they don’t have the time to do properly what needs to be done.  They brief Coles but it’s not enough so they then have to prepare Mel for a meeting, script it, attend and deal with the aftermath. Yet another workstream involving several people  - in particular Mel - and they don’t have any. As they said in the meeting. 

There have been two key moments under Mel Morris' ownership that have defined us - and neither were his fault, just terrible luck

1) The pre season knee injury to George Thorne in 2014/15 - we'd have walked the league with him playing but we had to loan in Omar Mascarell as cover

2) The 1st game of the season in 2015/16 at Bolton when both Will Hughes and Craig Bryson did their knees and were out for most of the season causing Mel to 'panic buy' Bradley Johnson & Jacob Butterfield and triggering our spiral of FFP overspend

Both of those seasons we still managed to hit top of the league but lacked the quality of Thorne, Hughes & Bryson to see it over the line

We've been fire fighting ever since

Edited by SamUltraRam

12 hours ago, JfR said:

Just realised that it's taken the Taliban less time to takeover Afghanistan than it's taking Mel to get someone to takeover Derby

Completely off topic but had a weird dream last night that England had been taken over by / sold off to the Netherlands (& possibly the Danish in a coalition). None of it makes any sense of course and it's a series of vague and poorly written ramblings, but...

It started off with me watching Derby play a match on a park (we were losing, struggling to create any clear chances all game and then missed two open goals) when some military trucks drove past us all (about 2000 fans) headed past towards some local political headquarters for talks with our 'leaders'.

People started leaving the game, walking away talking about their rights to be English and talking of a resistance. They seemed prepared for all of this (maybe they'd been to a meeting with enforced NDAs?)  but I had no idea what was happening. I sensed a vague threat that if we didn't move on we'd be in danger, so I followed them to a hideaway, or various hideaways, but I ended up getting lost along the way and ended up in an attic somewhere, or maybe it was underground, I don't know.

Nothing else happens until I'm up and awake the awake the next day.

I walk out of the hideaway and literally everything has been transformed as if I'd been asleep 5 years - new buildings, signs, banners, company names altered, everything branded with the regalia of the new country (which was still in part called England).  There are parades, bands, marches etc celebrating the new country. It was all very colourful and loud, everything nice and clean.

Most people talking Dutch, it's the law now, but at this point in the dream I remember certain 'fun' activities being legal in the Netherlands so actually I was pretty cool with this whole thing.

I was still lost and couldn't understand any signs though, as were a number of other people stumbling around looking dazed and confused - I spoke to these people and they all seemed to be ushering me to a 'safe zone' (I didn't feel unsafe). I follow their instructions and end up in a modern day speakeasy, which of course was was a local Wetherspoons, it just had to be!

...and then I woke up.

Edited by Coconut

5 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Completely off topic but had a weird dream last night that England had been taken over by / sold off to the Netherlands (& possibly the Danish in a coalition). None of it makes any sense of course and it's a series of vague and poorly written ramblings, but...

It started off with me watching Derby play a match on a park (we were losing, struggling to create any clear chances all game and then missed two open goals) when some military trucks drove past us all (about 2000 fans) headed past towards some local political headquarters for talks with our 'leaders'.

People started leaving the game, walking away talking about their rights to be English and talking of a resistance. They seemed prepared for all of this (maybe they'd been to a meeting with enforced NDAs?)  but I had no idea what was happening. I sensed a vague threat that if we didn't move on we'd be in danger, so I followed them to a hideaway, or various hideaways, but I ended up getting lost along the way and ended up in an attic somewhere, or maybe it was underground, I don't know.

I walk out of the hideaway and literally everything has been transformed as if I'd been asleep 5 years - new buildings, signs, banners, company names altered, everything branded with the regalia of the new country (which was still in part called England).  There are parades, bands, marches etc celebrating the new country. It was all very colourful and loud, everything nice and clean.

Most people talking Dutch, it's the law now, but at this point in the dream I remember certain 'fun' activities being legal in the Netherlands so actually I was pretty cool with this whole thing.

I was still lost and couldn't understand any signs though, as were a number of other people stumbling around looking dazed and confused - I spoke to these people and they all seemed to be ushering me to a 'safe zone' (I didn't feel unsafe). I follow their instructions and end up in a modern day speakeasy, which of course was was a local Wetherspoons, it just had to be!

...and then I woke up.

Sounds to me like you have already been partaking in some of the fun activities afforded to those in the Netherlands! 

Your dream seems very far fetched. I find it hard to believe that Derby could be playing park football and struggling to create chances. As if that could happen! 

We are stuck in a vicious loop and I just cant see a way out.

Our current owner wont commit to funding us for the season. Clearly Mel WILL fund us, but if he commits to that the US consortium could just sit back for the season and see how it unfolds. But a tenure under Mel is extremely bleak and ends in disaster.

The Americans wont takeover until the EFL give us our punishment (or lack of). My concern is if by the time this happens we are bottom of the table having lost our easy run of games, transfer window shut with no possibility of strengthening, they may choose to back out like the buyer that BZI were fronting, this again results in Mel.

Rooney stressed how these opening fixtures were key, I dont think just to out league position, i honestly think a takeover could hinge on them too.

35 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

There have been two key moments under Mel Morris' ownership that have defined us - and neither were his fault, just terrible luck

1) The pre season knee injury to George Thorne in 2014/15 - we'd have walked the league with him playing but we had to loan in Omar Mascarell as cover

2) The 1st game of the season in 2015/16 at Bolton when both Will Hughes and Craig Bryson did their knees and were out for most of the season causing Mel to 'panic buy' Bradley Johnson & Jacob Butterfield and triggering our spiral of FFP overspend

Both of those seasons we still managed to hit top of the league but lacked the quality of Thorne, Hughes & Bryson to see it over the line

The Thorne injury was prior to Morris taking full ownership.  He took over in completely in summer 2015, and only had a minor shareholding before that.

The injuries to Hughes and Bryson were unlucky, but the response to them was idiotic.  If 2 of your best players get injured, you don't more-or-less break your transfer record twice to sign replacements, especially if they can't do the same job.  We should have gone and got 2 loans in.  Clement supposedly had connections at Real Madrid, Chelsea etc, so just go to them and say we've got 2 guaranteed spots in our midfield free for the season, who can we have?  We play decent football, they'll play every week, so they benefit.  We maybe only spend £1m a piece on loan fees instead of the £10m+ we spent on Johnson and Butterfield.  It's win-win for everyone.

6 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The Thorne injury was prior to Morris taking full ownership.  He took over in completely in summer 2015, and only had a minor shareholding before that.

The injuries to Hughes and Bryson were unlucky, but the response to them was idiotic.  If 2 of your best players get injured, you don't more-or-less break your transfer record twice to sign replacements, especially if they can't do the same job.  We should have gone and got 2 loans in.  Clement supposedly had connections at Real Madrid, Chelsea etc, so just go to them and say we've got 2 guaranteed spots in our midfield free for the season, who can we have?  We play decent football, they'll play every week, so they benefit.  We maybe only spend £1m a piece on loan fees instead of the £10m+ we spent on Johnson and Butterfield.  It's win-win for everyone.

Plus their no doubt extortionate wages 

good point buddy well made 

38 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

We should have gone and got 2 loans in.  Clement supposedly had connections at Real Madrid, Chelsea etc, so just go to them and say we've got 2 guaranteed spots in our midfield free for the season, who can we have?  We play decent football, they'll play every week, so they benefit.  We maybe only spend £1m a piece on loan fees instead of the £10m+ we spent on Johnson and Butterfield.  It's win-win for everyone.

Because it's that easy... Come on lads, whatever you think about how it's gone, these guys are bright. If we could have got loans rather than replacements for £XXXXXXX then they would - obviously!

On 15/08/2021 at 10:17, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

It’s cutting your nose off to spite your face though isn’t it, he doesn’t want to fund the club but unless he wants to put us into admin he has to. He also wants to sell the club but while he doesn’t want to put his hand in his pocket the club is getting ever further into the poo. The further into the poo we go, the less attractive we become to investors. At this stage I’d be surprised if Mel actually receives any money for the club, he just wants somebody to take on the debts but the longer it goes on the more he’s going to have to cover himself anyway. It’s just an endless cycle of poo. Sorry for the use of poo so many times in this post but it’s very appropriate for where we’re at as a club at the minute. 

“Sorry for the use of poo” - try “male beauvine alimentary surplus”!

2 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

I would think the Frank Lampard tenure was the turning point that ended up up putting us where we are. 

He was always going to manage Chelsea, but no way could they employ a complete rookie. So some high level fixers hawked him around a few clubs to get him a “leg up”, and is how we were able to get the three loan players who made our team, and left it completely characterless when they moved on.

I don’t blame Mel going for it, but he was stitched up thinking he had 2 or 3 years of Frank. The whole thing was to make Frank look good, and it worked.

Sat at Wembley looking at the starting team told any fans with any nous that Chelsea were getting their man. They might as well have put “Bye. Been nice knowing you. Love from Frank” on the screens.

And if you’re not convinced, watch the video of Frank after he had “briefly” consoled the players. He wandered around circling the melee of players with a look on his face that said no matter much of a Chelsea hero he might be he wouldn’t get this sort on interaction with the fans again.

And then there was the summer of “Will he or won’t he”. Not “go”, but actually tell us he is leaving so we have got a chance to sort our next season out.

His keeping us dangling wrecked our preparations, and therefore our entire season, from which we never recovered.

Being subsequently forced to play Rooney when he was nearly as past it as me didn’t help, but the whole Lampard episode did huge damage. Mel’s only mistake was being used as the “Patsie”.

When Frank arrived he created the impression of being a man of integrity. Now I don’t which of his two faces I dislike the most.

Question: when he arrived, what state were we in financially?

Edited by DavesaRam

16 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I would think the Frank Lampard tenure was the turning point that ended up up putting us where we are. 

He was always going to manage Chelsea, but no way could they employ a complete rookie. So some high level fixers hawked him around a few clubs to get him a “leg up”, and is how we were able to get the three loan players who made our team, and left it completely characterless when they moved on.

I don’t blame Mel going for it, but he was stitched up thinking he had 2 or 3 years of Frank. The whole thing was to make Frank look good, and it worked.

Sat at Wembley looking at the starting team told any fans with any nous that Chelsea were getting their man. They might as well have put “Bye. Been nice knowing you. Love from Frank” on the screens.

And if you’re not convinced, watch the video of Frank after he had “briefly” consoled the players. He wandered around circling the melee of players with a look on his face that said no matter much of a Chelsea hero he might be he wouldn’t get this sort on interaction with the fans again.

And then there was the summer of “Will he or won’t he”. Not “go”, but actually tell us he is leaving so we have got a chance to sort our next season out.

His keeping us dangling wrecked our preparations, and therefore our entire season, from which we never recovered.

Being subsequently forced to play Rooney when he was nearly as past it as me didn’t help, but the whole Lampard episode did huge damage. Mel’s only mistake was being used as the “Patsie”.

When Frank arrived he created the impression of being a man of integrity. Now I don’t which of his two faces I dislike the most.

Not good is what I know, can't say anymore, MM gambled again and unfortunately it didn't pay off. 5m Waghorn, 3m Marriott, 2.5m Zoon, Malone unsure plus loanees, a lot has gone out with no return, we could be in a mess for a few more seasons

2 hours ago, Coconut said:

...and then I woke up.

This dream you had…is it possible you’d thought about Steve McClaren that day before you went to bed? 

13 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

The EFL charges were always round the corner no matter who was in charge during the 18/19 season.

Yes of course Lampard always wanted to manage Chelsea, what's wrong with that? When he signed for Derby Chelsea weren't under an embargo, so how could he have "stitched Mel up" this way? The embargo was the only reason they went for Lampard, there's no way he thought he'd manage Chelsea after one season in management.

I agree his delaying in the summer about leaving wasn't good.

How is it Lampard's fault the 3 loans left a void the following season when he wasn't even here. It was our choice not to replace them. 

7 minutes ago, falconram said:

Not good is what I know, can't say anymore, MM gambled again and unfortunately it didn't pay off. 5m Waghorn, 3m Marriott, 2.5m Zoon, Malone unsure plus loanees, a lot has gone out with no return, we could be in a mess for a few more seasons

We sold Vydra for £10m. We had a net spend of around £0 that season, and that doesn't even include the fee Chelsea paid us for Lampard.