Phillip Cocu

teddyb16

6 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Me too.

We were going through the pain before the gain - of a long term vision.

But it was all undermined by bringing Rooney in.

Ah well. Life and Derby County are all about opportunities missed.

You ok Phil? You might want to find a way of topping up that half empty glass.  
Never a bad time to listen to this absolute classic.

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

I really think Mel's biggest mistake was bringing Rooney in.

I think Cocu's mistake was being like a continental coach and accepting players imposed on him by the club.

Anyhow.... Too late now....

Mel did it only for the reason to raise the clubs profile to maximise his return on a sale. I bet if we picked through the sponsorship agreement with 32 Red that it wouldn't even look as tolerable as we were once to believe. 

Mel saw how Lampard's presence lifted the club's profile and jumped straight in with Cocu (on a seriously high wage for the Championship) and Rooney (again on a seriously high wage for the Championship) whilst systematically cutting the fat elsewhere. 

In hindsight, we can look at the last 24 months now and see that we've been paraded around like defective show pony with the sole purposes to create a sale rather than a football club looking to compete. Now, we look one bad parade from being put down. 

24 minutes ago, rammieib said:

If Cocu had stayed, we would definitely be in League One right now. Why anyone would want him back is beyond me.

I'm not a Rooney fan either - but I certainly couldn't watch ten more minutes of Cocu ball.

He would've got Bielik back, we'd have done well like we did under Rooney for the 12 odd games he played. What didn't help is Cocu having to play an unfit, overweight and uninterested Rooney every game.

Hopefully hanging around waiting for us to have decent owners with a bit of money to spend.

The bloke was never as bad as Derby made him look. Took over what looked like a good club with a plan. Must have been shocked to find what he did. Then just as he started to make a bit of money off players to buy ones he wanted we sacked him for a complete novice.

So in a nutshell with gave a young coach with loads of contacts in the game a poor squad, a squad which was equally as bad at drinking as they were playing football, no money to spend, then got rid when he was on the cusp of turning it around. And replaced him with two complete clowns who need money to spend to give them half a chance. Brilliant.

It will always wind me up.

I'd have him back in a heartbeat. Rooney's presence undermined him so its unfair to say he was a bad coach.

If I were him I'd commit crimes in that Derby County training wear.

53 minutes ago, BBG83 said:

So in a nutshell with gave a young coach with loads of contacts in the game a poor squad, a squad which was equally as bad at drinking as they were playing football, no money to spend, then got rid when he was on the cusp of turning it around. And replaced him with two complete clowns who need money to spend to give them half a chance. Brilliant.

You're talking about Rooney there aren't you? ?

As for on the cusp of turning it round, thank goodness that will be another of the great unknowns to rank with Clough Jnr was taking us up when Mac took over. ?

Neither knew championship.

If we had employed a know championship type manager (Colin Warnock for example) instead of either of them I would expect us to be higher up the league than we are now.

For sure the forum would have been very polarised on it as the “same old names” candidates generally have lower appeal on here than the “something different, bit of a gamble” candidate.

We are where we are though, i am just hoping we can pick up enough quality in the bargain free transfer bin that it even makes a difference who the manager is. Way things are going at the moment the manager is barely relevant as even the best candidate we could think of can’t make a cake out of a pile of ?.

Edited by Dean (hick) Saunders

3 hours ago, rammieib said:

If Cocu had stayed, we would definitely be in League One right now. Why anyone would want him back is beyond me.

I'm not a Rooney fan either - but I certainly couldn't watch ten more minutes of Cocu ball.

That’s a fact is it? The fact is we will never know. He did remarkably well to get us 10th in his first season and has a better record than Wazza…