Phillip Cocu

teddyb16

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

to not be able to get what he wanted from Rooney/the players

You mean, overweight, unfit and uninterested Rooney that played woefully last season? Rooney that clearly wanted the manager's job so got his agent to help churn out articles in the Daily Fail etc saying he was going to be the next manager? Who would that help other than Rooney?

Just now, Jubbs said:

You mean, overweight, unfit and uninterested Rooney that played woefully last season? Rooney that clearly wanted the manager's job so got his agent to help churn out articles in the Daily Fail etc saying he was going to be the next manager? Who would that help other than Rooney?

Yeah. Cocu kept picking him and you say he didn't want to lose his job?! ?

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Or, Cocu was being forced to play him due to contractual obligations in Rooney's contract. Therefore he didn't want to lose his job as disobeying those obligations would cause him to lose his job...

Just now, Jubbs said:

Or, Cocu was being forced to play him due to contractual obligations in Rooney's contract. Therefore he didn't want to lose his job as disobeying those obligations would cause him to lose his job...

Occam's razor.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why do you see Rooney as any better than Cocu ...I accept you didn't like Cocu that is obvious...you were very quiet when we played well and always found fault yet Rooney with a worse record and seemingly devoid of any direction/progress can do no wrong ?? Why ? 1 win in 15 games was woeful against some pretty poor teams as well 

3 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Why do you see Rooney as any better than Cocu ...I accept you didn't like Cocu that is obvious...you were very quiet when we played well and always found fault yet Rooney with a worse record and seemingly devoid of any direction/progress can do no wrong ?? Why ? 1 win in 15 games was woeful against some pretty poor teams as well 

For the last time. When Rooney has had a pre-season and some opportunity to sign/loan players then judge him.

8 minutes ago, S8TY said:

I liked Cocu but let’s not forget the clamour to get rid of him.

I distinctly remember posting don’t sack Cocu because Rooney will become Manager .

As it happens I like Rooney and I think he’s done ok with a poor hand .

The club is in turmoil due to EFL charges and failed takeovers and thats the real problem 

The word victimisation comes to mind 

Edited by Curtains
Spelling change from American to English

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

For the last time. When Rooney has had a pre-season and some opportunity to sign/loan players then judge him.

You didn't cut Cocu any slack for a rushed pre season where he had to evaluate all of the players then got given players who seemed not to fit Dowell for example ...but Rooney gets a full pre season and players before he's judged?? and he's had enough time to have at least got some form of playing style but instead we try to match teams like Rovrum up !!  ....astonishing!!!! lets move on !!!

11 minutes ago, S8TY said:

You didn't cut Cocu any slack for a rushed pre season where he had to evaluate all of the players then got given players who seemed not to fit Dowell for example ...but Rooney gets a full pre season and players before he's judged?? and he's had enough time to have at least got some form of playing style but instead we try to match teams like Rovrum up !!  ....astonishing!!!! lets move on !!!

But you haven't. ?

2 hours ago, S8TY said:

And yes if he was able to bring in a bit more quality who could understand his philosophy we may well have seen better progress,

I do always think it's funny our poor results were put down Cocu's methods leaving the players confused, the methods too difficult for them to grasp, too complicated, boring etc 

These very same players (baring a couple of swap-outs) seemed perfectly able to grasp the methods from January to July when we won ten and drew 4 of 17 games (we night even have scored in every one of those games, I can't remember exactly), with the inclusion of Martin & a fitter Rooney.

I also find the talk of Cocu being unwilling to listen and being too stubborn funny when it was him doing the complete opposite of that which lead directly to his downfall.

The change in approach from the Norwich game... yes I know we won it, but it was 1 game... based on listening to the players caused more problems then it solved, really Cocu should have stuck to his guns - changing it up only added to the confusion and he kind of undermined himself at a time others were perfectly happy to do it for him.

Rooney is praised for simplifying things, but that had already started - by the end of the season we were so dumbed down that, well, I don't even need to say anything further, the results speak for themselves.

Edited by Coconut

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

1 win in 16 games.....

On 29/06/2021 at 09:54, jimtastic56 said:

I was talking to Cocu in B n Q last night. He was in his joggers , he said  He would have got us in the play-offs if Mel had not have brought Wazza in to undermine him and he is not leaving Derby till he gets his £8 mill payoff. Then I woke up.

You woke up in B & Q? Impressive.

6 hours ago, rynny said:

No I didn't say that. Rooney was meant to help with communicating what Cocu wanted, if the message wasn't clear then Rooney should have said something. As Rooney said himself, he was the link between the management and the players. So if the players were confused why hasn't it been said to Cocu, Twan and Chris that they didn't understand, why didn't the players say to Rooney we don't understand, what didn't Rooney say that they didn't understand?

I could see what we were trying to do under Cocu, I could see what the plan was, but he got dealt a poo hand, didn't have a proper pre season with the squad, he didn't have a proper transfer window and was hampered by injuries to key players. The players he bought were nearly all improvements on who they replaced. The youth players were managed correctly, and were improving consistently, when the football clicked last season it was brilliant to watch, at times it didn't and it was slow and ponderous and frustrating, but that annoyed Cocu as much as the fans. 

Everyone sees what they want to see, you didn't like Cocu but you do Rooney, I liked Cocu but not Rooney. Rooney could change my mind but Cocu will never change yours now, unless he was crazy enough to come back (which won't happen). 

Can't like this post enough. Always admired how well he handled everything thrown at him, with grace.

Sure I read rumours of him being linked with the Dutch National team job.