Gareth Southgate

rynny

He knows every call he makes could lead to him being given the chop. The majority of the calls he's made have been disagreed with, but they've also turned out to be completely the right decision.

Consecutive tournament semi-finals for a country who before his reign managed one semi-final in 50 years. Whether he's the greatest manager out there, or doesn't exactly play edge-of-your seat football most of the time, he's doing what the FA want him to do. It's one of the hardest jobs in football because there's already about 55 million England managers out there who think they can do better.

He's also an incredibly likeable bloke, and he's bringing back a feel-good factor and uniting the nation yet again. Whatever happens, I think he's been a brilliant England manager.

Time to make peace that his England team will never be a roaring ferrari. 

It might just be that old 4th hand banger that runs forever

They're a bunch of misfits constantly had to prove themselves. And that's their secret weapon. They play like underdogs. They don't play with the freedom and arrogance of Belgium, France etc. 

It would be nice to see them let loose but I think maybe Southgate has won this debate. 2 semi finals in 2 tournaments. 

All the players coming in that have major doubts around them have stepped up. 

He's done too much right for it to be luck/coincidence. It's like he's heard the years of fans saying England players are overrated and has produced this squad of players who play like underdogs with a point to prove. 

Edited by Alpha

33 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Time to make peace that his England team will never be a roaring ferrari. 

It might just be that old 4th hand banger that runs forever

They're a bunch of misfits constantly had to prove themselves. And that's their secret weapon. They play like underdogs. They don't play with the freedom and arrogance of Belgium, France etc. 

It would be nice to see them let loose but I think maybe Southgate has won this debate. 2 semi finals in 2 tournaments. 

All the players coming in that have major doubts around them have stepped up. 

He's done too much right for it to be luck/coincidence. It's like he's heard the years of fans saying England players are overrated and has produced this squad of players who play like underdogs with a point to prove. 

Belgium and France? Who are they?

Southgate is top class. The way he directed his interview immediately to the players that weren’t involved. Humble, questions everything, learns makes good decisions.  He’s built an Unbelievable team ethos cutting through all club rivalries. I desperately want him to win a World Cup or Euros more then I’ve ever wanted an England or Derby manager to win anything. I hope he’s our Jordi Low (without sniffing his balls of course) 

His record is class as an England manager. He’s the 2nd best England manager in history and could eclipse Alf Ramsey. Absolutely made for international management. He understands tournament football. He’s bought a club ethos and spirit to the England team. They have never been more together. Well played Gareth.

Southgate you’re the one, you still turn me on, football’s coming home again! 

I like the fact I’m of the right age to have seen him develop from being a fairly inoffensive, unassuming player, assuming that he’s just fade into obscurity as that guy who missed that penalty. Compounded by his fairly inauspicious managerial career at Middlesborough, surely that’s it for him. To suddenly from almost nowhere becoming potentially the best England manager we’ve ever had. I love being able to see someone’s story unfold like that. It’s like epic reality tv spanning 30 years. 

(I hate reality tv, but this I like). 

He’s definitely gone up in my estimation, he’s not done much wrong here.

Would not want to go for a beer with him though, I’d be asleep in 10 mins. 

Just don’t waste this group of players please. Never, bar the late 60s and early 70s have we had such a good group. He has more talent at his disposal than probably any other English manager ever. One drops out, one drops in.  No irreplaceable players really. 

Good luck Gareth, bring it home and I will buy you a pizza.

28 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I like the fact I’m of the right age to have seen him develop from being a fairly inoffensive, unassuming player, assuming that he’s just fade into obscurity as that guy who missed that penalty. Compounded by his fairly inauspicious managerial career at Middlesborough, surely that’s it for him. To suddenly from almost nowhere becoming potentially the best England manager we’ve ever had. I love being able to see someone’s story unfold like that. It’s like epic reality tv spanning 30 years. 

(I hate reality tv, but this I like). 

I was watching the BBC coverage of the match yesterday and Rio Ferdinand made a good point - some players are better suited to international football, others Premier League football.

It seems to me that Southgate is suited to international management - a very well spoken diplomatic ambassador for our game, a humble man that isn't afraid to surround himself with top quality staff and intelligent enough to analyse the opposition and put the best players in the best formations to compete.

The week in, week out grind of the Premier League is a different beast and you're constrained as much by finances as you are anything else.  International matches imo are more cerebral, you have 'unlimited' resources and every game is a one off until you either win something or you get knocked out.

Southgate has obviously put a lot of effort into setting us up well for each match and hasn't been afraid to start Saka or Sancho in big games or leave Grealish on the bench despite mounting pressure from outside.  Whether we win the Euro's or not imo will either be due to luck or the opposition, I can't fault Southgate's decision making at the moment, he's getting every big call right and giving us the best chance.

42 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

He’s definitely gone up in my estimation, he’s not done much wrong here.

Would not want to go for a beer with him though, I’d be asleep in 10 mins. 

Just don’t waste this group of players please. Never, bar the late 60s and early 70s have we had such a good group. He has more talent at his disposal than probably any other English manager ever. One drops out, one drops in.  No irreplaceable players really. 

Good luck Gareth, bring it home and I will buy you a pizza.

That's one way of avoiding having to buy a round.

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Can’t say I agree with this. Depth-wise, yes, we’re very strong. But look at that 2006 World Cup team.

Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, Rooney, Terry, Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, etc.

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

I was watching the BBC coverage of the match yesterday and Rio Ferdinand made a good point - some players are better suited to international football, others Premier League football.

It seems to me that Southgate is suited to international management - a very well spoken diplomatic ambassador for our game, a humble man that isn't afraid to surround himself with top quality staff and intelligent enough to analyse the opposition and put the best players in the best formations to compete.

The week in, week out grind of the Premier League is a different beast and you're constrained as much by finances as you are anything else.  International matches imo are more cerebral, you have 'unlimited' resources and every game is a one off until you either win something or you get knocked out.

Southgate has obviously put a lot of effort into setting us up well for each match and hasn't been afraid to start Saka or Sancho in big games or leave Grealish on the bench despite mounting pressure from outside.  Whether we win the Euro's or not imo will either be due to luck or the opposition, I can't fault Southgate's decision making at the moment, he's getting every big call right and giving us the best chance.

Great post. It set me wondering, again, would Brian Clough have made an outstanding England manager. I suspect not, but we'll never know. I imagine he would have been more confrontational than Southgate.

Better to have been 'the greatest manager England never had' than 'old big'ed, not as good as he thought he was'.

After our first goal, Ukraine had a decent spell of the match. Dealt with it just fine and after halftime, we dominated. Some impressive moves/passing during this tournament not seen England do that for a while. Deadball moves looking good. Great stuff.

Edited by TimRam