Gareth Southgate

rynny

3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Couldn't tell you who won the Nations League. It's a decent idea but shouldn't have the same weighting as a Euros or World Cup IMO.

Likewise.  

It wouldn't bother me if we got relegated from the top leagues in that.  Whether it will grow into something more over time I dunno - just seems like glorifed friendlies to me.  WC and Euro's (inc qualifiers) are all you should be judged on imo.

11 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Likewise.  

It wouldn't bother me if we got relegated from the top leagues in that.  Whether it will grow into something more over time I dunno - just seems like glorifed friendlies to me.  WC and Euro's (inc qualifiers) are all you should be judged on imo.

To be fair, it does contribute towards Euros qualifying. And winning it would definitely be nice and a bump on the England manager's CV. But as you say it's nowhere near as prestigious as the WC or Euros. 

2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

To be fair, it does contribute towards Euros qualifying. 

Ah, forgot about that. Although we shouldn't be relying on that to qualify for the Euros - we should always aim to be winning the group ?

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

Ah, forgot about that. Although we shouldn't be relying on that to qualify for the Euros - we should always aim to be winning the group ?

Ask the skirt wearers if they think it’s a good idea…and north Macedonia etc etc. 

6 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Ask the skirt wearers if they think it’s a good idea…and north Macedonia etc etc. 

Yeah it gives the lesser nations the chance to get knocked out of an expanded Euros in the group stages ? but for bigger nations if you're relying on the League of Nations or whatever its called to qualify for the Euros, you've got bigger problems.

Unless it develops over time - which to be fair it could do, I can't see it being anything other than glorified friendlies for a lot of countries.  A kind of Europa League that none of the big teams really want to be in.

12 hours ago, maxjam said:

Yeah it gives the lesser nations the chance to get knocked out of an expanded Euros in the group stages ? but for bigger nations if you're relying on the League of Nations or whatever its called to qualify for the Euros, you've got bigger problems.

Unless it develops over time - which to be fair it could do, I can't see it being anything other than glorified friendlies for a lot of countries.  A kind of Europa League that none of the big teams really want to be in.

It's a good idea to give nations a chance to develop themselves as a team by playing sides at the same level. For example England, it doesn't help us playing San Marino in boring friendlies all the time. What helps is playing Belgium, Croatia, Spain, Denmark. It also puts some meaning into the games. It is a competition and there is a trophy at the end of it. Of course it's nowhere near the prestige of a euros or world cup, but it definitely improves international football. 

12 hours ago, maxjam said:

Isn't that the point? Something between a qualifier/tournament game and a friendly. I genuinely don't care about international friendlies but the nations league grabbed my attention slightly more. I guess it's the international equivalent of the Carabao Cup?

Makes me laugh that people still don't rate Southgate. We have made it to the world cup semi final and the euros final. They call him lucky. You can't get lucky that many times. He makes bold decisions and it works. He's tactically switched on, learns from his mistakes and has created a brilliant culture in this England side. He deserves nothing but respect. 

19 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Makes me laugh that people still don't rate Southgate. We have made it to the world cup semi final and the euros final. They call him lucky. You can't get lucky that many times. He makes bold decisions and it works. He's tactically switched on, learns from his mistakes and has created a brilliant culture in this England side. He deserves nothing but respect. 

Yeah, I think it's massively underrated how he's developed this culture and pride in playing for England again. These players don't want to save 10% to give for their clubs, they work for each other and are the most likable bunch in a long long time. 

I dunno if Southgate is the best tactician etc but if he lacks in strategy then he excels in man management.

When have England players ever looked so proud, hard working and united?

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

He deserves respect for what he does well, which is the culture, pride and togetherness piece. All very important. 

The rest is ok. Not rubbish but not especially stand out brilliant either.

I don't think he's bold either. Not by nature,nor in how he manages the team. But that's OK, because he's done the good work on culture, the players can manage themselves much better than they used to on the pitch.

Even if we lose, which we won't, people should have some pride and confidence in supporting England again.

They're not Sven's superstars or guys who pick up conveniently timed injuries. God, how often did we hear we have the best LB  CB CM,RM,ST in the world over recent years?

These are wonderful misfits and failure stories. Even the two main stars are Harry Kane who's path to the top wasn't straight forward and even now remains trophyless. And Raheem Sterling... the guy that has to apologise for spending his money, having a tattoo and not being the English answer to Messi, Ronaldo etc. How can Raheem Sterling ever be allowed to relax.

It's now actually possible to be a top 4 English player and not be picked. You can lose your place to players who were Championship when England lost in the World Cup.

If we lose Sunday then we've still had success. Well, unless you really trying to punish yourself.