Gareth Southgate

rynny

Is it possible to not have expected this but not be surprised either?

My crystal ball was predicting Lampard to take over after the Euro’s, however I didn’t take into account just how quickly the World Cup will roll around.

Makes sense not to disrupt things, not enough games for a new manager to come in and put his ideas across before the World Cup.

I just wish he would let the shackles off, go for it more, we topped the group could have made it more dominating, really putting us out there as a team to fear.

I don’t see the German’s fearing us one bit from what we’ve seen, funny thing is this is a game where 2 DM’s does make more sense.

5 hours ago, David said:

I just wish he would let the shackles off, go for it more, we topped the group could have made it more dominating, really putting us out there as a team to fear.

I don’t see the German’s fearing us one bit from what we’ve seen, funny thing is this is a game where 2 DM’s does make more sense.

I agree but I see why we should fear the Germans either? Tough game of course but no reason why we can't win it. 

I think it'd probably be more sensible to see how we do in the next world cup rather than giving him a contract till 2024. Southgate comes across as a lovely man but an unconvincing manager. Giving him a contract till the end of the next euros comes across as premature given that we don't know how Tuesday is going to pan out. 

On the point that @David made about letting the shackles off it's a fair one but realistically if we're smart we'll do what Hungary did and not Portugal against the Germans. Set up solid with 4 at the back and hit them on the counter, if we do that the Germans are extremely vulnerable in the transition and we could potentially put 3 or 4 past them. If we get past the Germans then depending on the run in we should let the shackles off until the final (unless we face Holland in the semis) and play some more entertaining football. 

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

I agree but I see why we should fear the Germans either? Tough game of course but no reason why we can't win it. 

Being too cautious is a reason we can’t win it. Give Germany due respect yeah, but give them plenty to think about an’ all. I believe England could beat Germany with a positive but disciplined approach to the game but any shilly shallying will give them the impetus.

52 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I think it'd probably be more sensible to see how we do in the next world cup rather than giving him a contract till 2024. Southgate comes across as a lovely man but an unconvincing manager. Giving him a contract till the end of the next euros comes across as premature given that we don't know how Tuesday is going to pan out. 

That's how the FA do things though. How any manager can get such a talented squad of players (and some not picked) to play in such a 'restrained' way is testament to Southgate's skill as a manager.

2 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

Being too cautious is a reason we can’t win it. Give Germany due respect yeah, but give them plenty to think about an’ all. I believe England could beat Germany with a positive but disciplined approach to the game but any shilly shallying will give them the impetus.

Yes you don't want sides like Germany to get a foothold and start dictating things as they'll get you in the end. We need to go at them from the off and let them worry about us. I don't want us to get knocked out and then have that feeling of 'what if?' 

19 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Yes you don't want sides like Germany to get a foothold and start dictating things as they'll get you in the end. We need to go at them from the off and let them worry about us. I don't want us to get knocked out and then have that feeling of 'what if?' 

It’s not feasible to attack for 90 minutes though and we don’t have a midfield who can control a game. I can already see it now on Tuesday that we start fast and after about 20 minutes Kroos just starts to pick his passes and run the game. 

We still don’t have one of, if not both, a Xabi Alonso type who can run a game from deep AND screen a defence or a Modric/Xavi/Kroos type who will play on the inside left or right if midfield and keep things ticking over. 

And with that being the case, it would be exciting suicide to let all of our attackers off the leash because I promise you now, we would have little chance of winning the Euros if we did that. 

Why they talking about this?

Surely we get get mauled by Germany as Kane and Co put in another flat performance and suddenly the tournament has been a huge flop with only 1 decent performance? 

Surely you'd wait to decide something after the tournament? 

We will win the the square route of absolutely naff all with Southgate in charge. He’s got a Ferrari that he can’t and won’t take out of first gear.

He’s mister nice and safe, the FA adore him because he speaks well and would never dream of rocking the boat

How is he doing a great job? What has he actually done? Beat Panama and Sweden, narrowly beat Tunisia and won a penalty shootout. Now we can't even score against Scotland.

What has he ever done in his managerial career to suggest he's good? 

1 hour ago, DCFClks said:

How is he doing a great job? What has he actually done? Beat Panama and Sweden, narrowly beat Tunisia and won a penalty shootout. Now we can't even score against Scotland.

What has he ever done in his managerial career to suggest he's good? 

Just enjoy the ride…must be miserable as poo watching this thinking we aren’t going to win It….!

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

But he is "A company man" - which to the FA is far more important than "winning" or "performing"

Winning… Every single time but modern football and modern football fans seems to accept not trying to win now ?

You only have to read this forum on cup days (and even creeping into some league games), that not winning is acceptable and even preferable.

Edited by Angry Ram