Gareth Southgate

rynny

4 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Whatever you say about him and whatever you say about the run to the semi final, he got us to the best finishing position in the World Cup that we have had in your lifetime.

in 1990 we were absolute dog excrement in all 3 of the group games only scrapping through thanks to a set piece 1-0 against a truly terrible Egypt team, we got a last minute extra time set piece goal to win against Belgium and were very very lucky to beat Cameroon thanks to 2 penalties.....but everyone remembers that as the greatest ever tournament for England...

(just to be clear, I like Southgate, he seems like a decent chap, I really want him to succeed BUT i do think that if we had Jose as manager that we would absolutely cream this tournament)

I know luck is a part of football and it's right to enjoy it when it goes your way, but we were lucky in 1990 and 2018. 

The true test of how good a team is isn't how far they go in a tournament, but how well they do when they meet a good opposition. Southgate hasn't beaten good opposition yet. Eriksson at least beat Argentina at World Cup 2002.

2 hours ago, DCFClks said:

I know luck is a part of football and it's right to enjoy it when it goes your way, but we were lucky in 1990 and 2018. 

The true test of how good a team is isn't how far they go in a tournament, but how well they do when they meet a good opposition. Southgate hasn't beaten good opposition yet. Eriksson at least beat Argentina at World Cup 2002.

To be fair, Sven had a much better squad than Southgate has ever had, Sven had Seaman, Cole, Scholes, Beckham, Ferdinand, Campbell, Owen, Sheringham all who would walk into the team that Southgate has. 

3 hours ago, DCFClks said:

What about the teams we beat in the nations league? Do they not count as good results? 

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

To be fair, Sven had a much better squad than Southgate has ever had, Sven had Seaman, Cole, Scholes, Beckham, Ferdinand, Campbell, Owen, Sheringham all who would walk into the team that Southgate has. 

Yes and Sven was a failure, but Southgate probably has the best squad since Sven. I don't think England have beaten a big nation in a tournament since Argentina in 2002, which is terrible.

Edited by DCFClks

23 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

What about the teams we beat in the nations league? Do they not count as good results? 

No, none of the draws against Gemany, Brazil or Italy count on please dont count winning against Spain, Holland a couple of times against Croatia, Belgium and a couple of times against the Czechs (including a 5-0)....none of those results count....

9 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Yes and Sven was a failure, but Southgate probably has the best squad since Sven. I don't think England have beaten a big nation in a tournament since Argentina in 2002, which is terrible.

Croatia in 2004, where we smashed them all over the place.

2004-only got knocked out on penalties, same in 2006 and 2012 we topped the group with France, ukarine and Sweden... I think you have to remember that the last time we won anything was 1966, that is 55 years ago...!! in that time, we have put a man on the moon, changed our whole currency, invented the internet and even had a reality TV star as the president of the most powerful nation in the world....

We arent the great powerhouse of football, we are Denmark, Peru, Paraguay, Greece, Columbia, Chile...they have all won as least as much as we have

1 minute ago, MuespachRam said:

Croatia in 2004, where we smashed them all over the place.

2004-only got knocked out on penalties, same in 2006 and 2012 we topped the group with France, ukarine and Sweden... I think you have to remember that the last time we won anything was 1966, that is 55 years ago...!! in that time, we have put a man on the moon, changed our whole currency, invented the internet and even had a reality TV star as the president of the most powerful nation in the world....

We arent the great powerhouse of football, we are Denmark, Peru, Paraguay, Greece, Columbia, Chile...they have all won as least as much as we have

Croatia weren't very good in 2004. 

Wouldn't you class losing on pens as drawing? so not a win. 

Yes we have only won as much as those teams but isn't it widely agreed that we should have won more? I'm talking about Southgate right now. Our squad at the moment is in the top 5 in Europe easily, and better than Germany's. 

I don't know why this has turned into a discussion the history of the English national team. I was only disagreeing with the FA decision to offer Southgate a new contract before this tournaments even finished and saying he's doing a "great job". 

25 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Yes we have only won as much as those teams but isn't it widely agreed that we should have won more? I'm talking about Southgate right now. Our squad at the moment is in the top 5 in Europe easily, and better than Germany's. 

I don't know why this has turned into a discussion the history of the English national team. I was only disagreeing with the FA decision to offer Southgate a new contract before this tournaments even finished and saying he's doing a "great job". 

thats the problem it shouldnt be agreed we should have won more..... we are Denmark, get used to it...

Our squad is in the top 5 in Europe yes it is...and?

8 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

thats the problem it shouldnt be agreed we should have won more..... we are Denmark, get used to it...

Denmark?  They are more akin to Leicester imo.

We're more like Spurs.  Occasionally pretty when the pressures off, but when the tough games come around we go missing.  You always think they have won more than they have but when you check the records they have done nothing for decades.

We are Spurs.  Now thats depressing.  Nice stadium though.

50 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

France almost sacked Deschamps about 8 years ago, look at them now!

Give Southgate a chance.

Southgate has done a decent job. Bought the young players into the squad, got them all playing for the shirt again. He had a tough gig taking over after the car crash of the Hodgson and Big Sam era. Got to the World Cup semi final and nations league final. IF we beat Germany his record will be up there for England. I think Southgate is an ideal international manager, not all club managers make decent international managers. Southgate is well suited to the role. He just needs to let the shackles off a bit more. 

20 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Isn't a World Cup worth more than a EUROs? 

or by your logic wouldn't that make Uruguay better than France and Spain?

Isn't it more to do with eras and cycles? different countries dominate at different times and it's up to them to win while there on top. England's last one was the early 2000s and they didn't win. Countries aren't just at the same level constantly.

Also England withdrew from FIFA and weren't in the first three World Cups where they would of had a good chance at winning.

I still don't know what this has to do with offering Southgate a new contract though.

1 minute ago, enachops said:

Southgate has done a decent job. Bought the young players into the squad, got them all playing for the shirt again. He had a tough gig taking over after the car crash of the Hodgson and Big Sam era. Got to the World Cup semi final and nations league final. IF we beat Germany his record will be up there for England. I think Southgate is an ideal international manager, not all club managers make decent international managers. Southgate is well suited to the role. He just needs to let the shackles off a bit more. 

You bugger, I trawled through all that nonsense, so I could post something very similar to this, then you pip me at the post. 

19 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

France almost sacked Deschamps about 8 years ago, look at them now!

Give Southgate a chance.

We kept giving Sven a chance, definitely worth sticking with him wasn't it?

We've already given him a chance, we had once in a blue moon luck with our draw in 2018 and he couldn't win at the first real test in the tournament.

15 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

it is classed as a tournament though.

They're just glorified friendlies.

2 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

We kept giving Sven a chance, definitely worth sticking with him wasn't it?

We've already given him a chance, we had once in a blue moon luck with our draw in 2018 and he couldn't win at the first real test in the tournament.

Well in hindsight no, but Sven did go extremely close on a few occasions,

i think your forgetting we weren't actually favourites v Croatia 2018