Gareth Southgate

rynny

Teams that can get through the group stage in a good position without exerting too much effort are well set up for the knockout stages.  It's a risk to do it, but the gain is massive if it works out, tactically planning for a long run, not a sprint.

i predicted Germany to lift the trophy, so in my mind, beating them gives England every opportunity of going all the way this time.

14 hours ago, DCFClks said:

How is he doing a great job? What has he actually done? Beat Panama and Sweden, narrowly beat Tunisia and won a penalty shootout. Now we can't even score against Scotland.

What has he ever done in his managerial career to suggest he's good? 

You can only beat what's put in front of you. It wasn't Southgate's fault that we had a good draw at the world cup. 

maybe he's not the best man for the job, who knows? But when he has as much passion as he does its brilliant. Remember his reaction/celebration after the shootout win v Colombia. Priceless.

Having a manager that truly cares is not really something money can buy. 

6 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

You can only beat what's put in front of you. It wasn't Southgate's fault that we had a good draw at the world cup. 

maybe he's not the best man for the job, who knows? But when he has as much passion as he does its brilliant. Remember his reaction/celebration after the shootout win v Colombia. Priceless.

Having a manager that truly cares is not really something money can buy. 

So you agree we did well at the World Cup because of the draw, not Southgate's tactics? We also failed to beat Belgium twice. Croatia and drew against Colombia, despite having a better squad than both Croatia and Colombia. 

My main issue is that the FA are saying he's doing a "great job". If we were unlucky in the World Cup and drew France after the group stage and got beat 3-0 would he still be doing a "great job"?

So if only Rooney had screamed "COME ON!" after a rare win that would make him a good manager in your eyes then?

We already wasted one generation of good English players when we stuck with Eriksson. 

25 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

So you agree we did well at the World Cup because of the draw, not Southgate's tactics? We also failed to beat Belgium twice. Croatia and drew against Colombia, despite having a better squad than both Croatia and Colombia. 

My main issue is that the FA are saying he's doing a "great job". If we were unlucky in the World Cup and drew France after the group stage and got beat 3-0 would he still be doing a "great job"?

So if only Rooney had screamed "COME ON!" after a rare win that would make him a good manager in your eyes then?

We already wasted one generation of good English players when we stuck with Eriksson. 

We did well at the world cup because of the draw & Southgate's set piece tactics. Is failing to beat Belgium really seen as bad, they are the no.1 ranked team in the world. We narrowly lost to Croatia, can happen.  Not sure what you were thinking would happen at the world cup, but expectations were pretty low before the tournament. 

Who knows? Only the FA can answer that.

I think you know my answer to that is a resounding NO.  However, it's always nice to see that your teams manager cares. Lampard and the bounce being a good example.

Yes.

7 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

We did well at the world cup because of the draw & Southgate's set piece tactics. Is failing to beat Belgium really seen as bad, they are the no.1 ranked team in the world. We narrowly lost to Croatia, can happen.  Not sure what you were thinking would happen at the world cup, but expectations were pretty low before the tournament. 

Who knows? Only the FA can answer that.

I think you know my answer to that is a resounding NO.  However, it's always nice to see that your teams manager cares. Lampard and the bounce being a good example.

Yes.

So do you agree with the FA that he's doing a "great job" or not? Which is what this topic is about.

If so, how is he doing a great job?

If you think beating Sweden, Panama and Tunisia and then drawing to a poor Colombian side, then shouting "COME ON!" is doing a great job then I disagree with you.

Edited by DCFClks

40 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

If everything was played on paper, what would be the point in watching? That Croatia side was very good, had many experienced top level players. I think it's extremely unfair to say 'we should have beaten them.'

You can't assess how well a manager is doing based on tournament football in my opinion. It's knockout, one game, anything can happen.

You have to judge it over a long period of time. In the end you get a feel for how well we're doing and whether it should be better. At the moment, Gareth is doing fine. 

23 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

If everything was played on paper, what would be the point in watching? That Croatia side was very good, had many experienced top level players. I think it's extremely unfair to say 'we should have beaten them.'

You can't assess how well a manager is doing based on tournament football in my opinion. It's knockout, one game, anything can happen.

You have to judge it over a long period of time. In the end you get a feel for how well we're doing and whether it should be better. At the moment, Gareth is doing fine. 

Yes but if we're saying Southgate is doing a "great job" then that would mean beating Croatia. It was the first big test of the tournament and we lost. 

Isn't the whole point of international football performing when it matters on the big occasion? I agree with getting a feel for how well we're doing, but we've had the second fewest shots of any team at the EUROs and couldn't even score against Scotland, how is that a good feeling.

My biggest worry is there were a lot of people arounds saying Eriksson was "doing fine" and then we failed tournament after tournament with all those amazing players.  

2 hours ago, DCFClks said:

Yes but if we're saying Southgate is doing a "great job" then that would mean beating Croatia. It was the first big test of the tournament and we lost. 

Isn't the whole point of international football performing when it matters on the big occasion? I agree with getting a feel for how well we're doing, but we've had the second fewest shots of any team at the EUROs and couldn't even score against Scotland, how is that a good feeling.

My biggest worry is there were a lot of people arounds saying Eriksson was "doing fine" and then we failed tournament after tournament with all those amazing players.  

Let's see how we get on against Germany. That will be a big test. We've proven we can beat top sides in the nations League, but can we do it in a tournament? I really hope so

Let's give Southgate this tournament and see what happens. If we go and beat Germany we've got a great path to the final that we should be able to take advantage of. Atm no-one in this tournament looks unbeatable- everyone has their flaws and are vulnerable on their day.  If we lose to Germany in comfortable fashion then questions should be asked of his management and if he is the right man to lead us past the next world cup but until tuesday we should trust the bloke who whatever anyone says got us to the semi final of the last world cup. 

English football is a joke at so many levels:

FA with their cronyism.

Less we talk about EFL, the better.

You do pretty badly consider you have over 50 million football experts.

Staggering that you can always pick the one particularly bad expert to lead the national team and he picks wrong players from thousand's of professional players.

Vampire Diaries Laugh GIF by TV Guide

Edited by Dimmu

21 hours ago, DCFClks said:

So do you agree with the FA that he's doing a "great job" or not? Which is what this topic is about.

If so, how is he doing a great job?

If you think beating Sweden, Panama and Tunisia and then drawing to a poor Colombian side, then shouting "COME ON!" is doing a great job then I disagree with you.

On the back of being beaten by Iceland at the previous tournament I would say that's a huge improvement. 

Also did very well in the Nations League against some "big" sides.

The shouting "COME ON!" doesn't determine weather he's doing a good job or not, it's just great to see and gets the fans onboard.  

36 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

On the back of being beaten by Iceland at the previous tournament I would say that's a huge improvement. 

Also did very well in the Nations League against some "big" sides.

The shouting "COME ON!" doesn't determine weather he's doing a good job or not, it's just great to see and gets the fans onboard.  

It's not exactly doing a "great job" improving from the Iceland defeat, it would be quite hard to do worse than that. 

England have always done well in irrelevant games like the Nations League, it means nothing.

If you don't think shouting "Come On!" determines whether he's doing a good job or not, then why did you mention it in your reasons for why you think he's doing a good job in your previous post?

12 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

why would it?

Because it was only the second real test we had all tournament, after losing the first against Belgium. How can you say he did a great job after only winning games where we were the overwhelming favourites? 

10 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

It's not exactly doing a "great job" improving from the Iceland defeat, it would be quite hard to do worse than that. 

England have always done well in irrelevant games like the Nations League, it means nothing.

If you don't think shouting "Come On!" determines whether he's doing a good job or not, then why did you mention it in your reasons for why you think he's doing a good job in your previous post?

yep, agreed it would be hard to do worse than the Iceland game, but we did run Croatia very close, just losing near the end of extra time. You seem very harsh in your criticism of Southgate. Apart from the very narrow loss to Croatia, who has he actually lost against? And I don't think you can really count Belgium as they are the No.1 ranked team in world. 

I didn't mention it as a reason for him doing a great job, i just said it was nice to see someone with real passion for the job. 

1 hour ago, DCFClks said:

Because it was only the second real test we had all tournament, after losing the first against Belgium. How can you say he did a great job after only winning games where we were the overwhelming favourites? 

Whatever you say about him and whatever you say about the run to the semi final, he got us to the best finishing position in the World Cup that we have had in your lifetime.

in 1990 we were absolute dog excrement in all 3 of the group games only scrapping through thanks to a set piece 1-0 against a truly terrible Egypt team, we got a last minute extra time set piece goal to win against Belgium and were very very lucky to beat Cameroon thanks to 2 penalties.....but everyone remembers that as the greatest ever tournament for England...

(just to be clear, I like Southgate, he seems like a decent chap, I really want him to succeed BUT i do think that if we had Jose as manager that we would absolutely cream this tournament)