Gareth Southgate

rynny

14 minutes ago, enachops said:

Southgate has done a decent job. Bought the young players into the squad, got them all playing for the shirt again. He had a tough gig taking over after the car crash of the Hodgson and Big Sam era. Got to the World Cup semi final and nations league final. IF we beat Germany his record will be up there for England. I think Southgate is an ideal international manager, not all club managers make decent international managers. Southgate is well suited to the role. He just needs to let the shackles off a bit more. 

If he beats Germany wouldn't it be the first time Southgate has beaten a top side at a major tournament? Why ignore the luck of 2018? If Sven had had that draw in one of his World Cups he probably would have got to a final, yet he's seen as a failure and Southgate is now "great".

7 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

If he beats Germany wouldn't it be the first time Southgate has beaten a top side at a major tournament? Why ignore the luck of 2018? If Sven had had that draw in one of his World Cups he probably would have got to a final, yet he's seen as a failure and Southgate is now "great".

He’s only had one tournament- give him a chance! 

For me Southgate has been pretty much the perfect manager for England.

The shackles will come of if needs be, but in the meantime I'll take cruising through the group stages with minimum effort and being well prepared for the part of the tournament that really matters.

20 minutes ago, Rev said:

For me Southgate has been pretty much the perfect manager for England.

The shackles will come of if needs be, but in the meantime I'll take cruising through the group stages with minimum effort and being well prepared for the part of the tournament that really matters.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Bottle of Straffe Hendrik Quad and pitchfork on standby...

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Bottle of Straffe Hendrik Quad and pitchfork on standby...

Managed to bag myself a perfect draft machine today, so hoping for some decent Belgian draft should we make it past tomorrow!

10 hours ago, Rev said:

Managed to bag myself a perfect draft machine today, so hoping for some decent Belgian draft should we make it past tomorrow!

I saw an advert for one a few weeks ago (Aldi?) for around £200, and thought long and hard (fnarr fnarr) about it. Just checked again and the regular price is now around £300-400, but Beer Hawk have them for around £250, which is not bad.

Now all the major UK supermarkets seem to be in the process of withdrawing the big bottles of Tripel Karmeleit from their availability (haven't spotted any while shopping in the last 2 weeks at Tesco, Morrisons or Sainsbury either online or in the store), I might consider getting one.

10 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Empty shelf at my Tesco but the sticker said next delivery expected 30th June (or another day very close to that)

It seems to be available online at Morrisons again, so we'll have a look in-store again today. Also got to go to Sainsbury's - run out of Bird's Eye and Scotch Bonnet chillies and my home-grown ones won't be ripe for another couple of weeks (turns grow-light up to max)

On 27/06/2021 at 12:53, DCFClks said:

So you agree we did well at the World Cup because of the draw, not Southgate's tactics? We also failed to beat Belgium twice. Croatia and drew against Colombia, despite having a better squad than both Croatia and Colombia. 

My main issue is that the FA are saying he's doing a "great job". If we were unlucky in the World Cup and drew France after the group stage and got beat 3-0 would he still be doing a "great job"?

So if only Rooney had screamed "COME ON!" after a rare win that would make him a good manager in your eyes then?

We already wasted one generation of good English players when we stuck with Eriksson. 

Croatia had a midfield starting 2 players from Real Madrid and 1 from Barcelona and another from Inter. Defenders from Atl Madrid and Liverpool. Forwards from Juventus and Inter.

Our squad included Rose, Cahill, Jones, Delph, Young, Dier, Loftus-Cheek and Welbeck.

Edited by Ghost of Clough

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I saw an advert for one a few weeks ago (Aldi?) for around £200, and thought long and hard (fnarr fnarr) about it. Just checked again and the regular price is now around £300-400, but Beer Hawk have them for around £250, which is not bad.

Now all the major UK supermarkets seem to be in the process of withdrawing the big bottles of Tripel Karmeleit from their availability (haven't spotted any while shopping in the last 2 weeks at Tesco, Morrisons or Sainsbury either online or in the store), I might consider getting one.

Got mine from BeerHawk, been on the waiting list for quite a while. 

Price per pint seems ok for the kegs, with the £5 back for empty kegs.

2 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Im hearing 5 at the back, no Gralish, Foden or Mount. ?

Why do we have to set up to match up other teams? This is what frustrates me. Why don't they change for us? There's no reason why we can't beat Germany playing 4 at the back. Get more creative players on the pitch. Instead we're playing 7 at the back. 5 defenders, 2 holding midfielders. It's a complete joke. We're actually overestimating Germany and underestimating ourselves.

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Why do we have to set up to match up other teams? This is what frustrates me. Why don't they change for us? There's no reason why we can't beat Germany playing 4 at the back. Get more creative players on the pitch. Instead we're playing 7 at the back. 5 defenders, 2 holding midfielders. It's a complete joke. We're actually overestimating Germany and underestimating ourselves.

Of course you could wait until the side is actually announced and see how they play before lighting the bonfire.

7 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Ornstein. Normally pretty accurate.

I heard

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire

Trippier    Rice      Phillips       Shaw

Sterling         Kane        Grealish

Personally I would go with

Pickford

Stones  Maguire  Mings

Walker     Rice      Bellingham    Saka

Sterling      Kane       Foden

I think Mount is available, but will only have trained with the group from yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Croatia had a midfield starting 2 players from Real Madrid and 1 from Barcelona and another from Inter. Defenders from Atl Madrid and Liverpool. Forwards from Juventus and Inter.

Our squad included Rose, Cahill, Jones, Delph, Young, Dier, Loftus-Cheek and Welbeck.

All you've done there is list all there best players and all our worst players who didn't even play, what does that prove?

Croatia were an aging team, your forgetting that Liverpool player from Croatia was Lovren, so not exactly amazing. There other CB played for Dynamo Kyiv. There LB couldn't get in Sampdoria's team. Why also leave out the fact Croatia also had players from the likes of Gent, Lokomotiv Moscow and Rijeka?

It was our first test of the tournament and lost, but the FA still think Southgate is doing a great job