EFL Verdict

DCFC90

1 hour ago, Long Time Lurker said:

Eaton Ram's reference to Rams Trust has made me wonder whether we could get something out of the EFL through a letter along the lines of the one sent to the Club recently signed by Rams Trust, Punjabi Rams, Ryan Hills etc.  The letter could ask the EFL:

• How their approach meets with their stated aim of protecting clubs, particularly in respect of Derby.  Can they give any examples of where they have acted in good faith towards the club?
  • What reassurances they can offer to DCFC staff whose jobs are under threat through the continued uncertainty
  • Can they explain why an accounting technicality should lead to people losing their livelihoods, even when those people have had nothing to do with accounting procedures etc
  • Is it their intention to continually appeal against any decision that does not go their way?  If so, can the explain the moral justification for such an approach?
  • Can they also provide justification for deciding to reject an accounting practice that they had previously accepted when signing off the accounts?  Do they feel any responsibility for having made what they now seem to consider an error, and if so what redress are they making as a result?
  • what, if any responsibility, do they feel towards the fans of DCFC, and do they understand the effect their actions are having on at least some of them?
  • They have been reported to be keen to see Derby relegated.  Can they explain to the Derby fanbase whether this is in fact the case, and if so, their justification for acting in such a way?
  • Etc
  • Etc

I think a letter coming from specific groups rather than an individual stands a better chance of getting a response.  That response is very likely to be that it's all Derby's fault, and that people will lose their jobs etc due to the clubs actions etc, they have to be fair to the other clubs blah blah.  However, it may be worth a try?

Great post and a good idea. There will be the usual moaning that each and every supporter wasn't given the opportunity to proof read the letter, so if you are going to be on those people, get involved and take the initiative yourself!

20 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Great post and a good idea. 

Agree - lots of good points in there

What I keep coming back to is the fact that the EFL, although there is a governing body -  are actually made up of the member teams

We know that *certain* other members have it in for us (mentioning no Gibsons) but what must the other members think when they see how we're being treated? The precedent is being set that the EFL can approve something but then at an unspecified point in the future, change their minds and seek to punish clubs. 

Surely no other members want that? Surely they all want a fair and consistently applied set of clear rules

30 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

So my understanding was that the 12 component was a sliding scale defined in the rules. 

I didnt know about the the arbitrary 9 but if we took Wednesday as a benchmark then they obviously and clearly misrepresented a years accounts but in total got a penalty of 6, of which at least 3 must have been the overrun, so it suggests 3 at most for "naughtiness". 

So if we find ourselves on the right side of the p&l numbers, does the naughty bit fall away completely or could the EFL try to land us with a 9 point deduction just because.?

Yep, there's a sliding scale to reach the starting point.

£0-2m = 3 points
£2-4m - 4 points
£4-6m - 5 points
£6-8m = 6 points
£8-10m = 7 points
£10-12.5m = 8 points
£12.5-15m = 9 points
£15m+ = 12 points

Aggravating and mitigating factors are then added on or taken away. Very little has been confirmed on what these factors are, however, little bits have kept out.

If there is a trend of reduced losses, punishment will be reduced by;
1 point if T < T-1
2 points if T < T-1 <T-2

SWFC had there 12 point deduction reduced by 6. The Club argued against the application of a deduction of more than 7 points to the 2019/20 season because such a deduction in that season would have led to its relegation. The Disciplinary Commission accepted this argument.
So timing of the verdict has an impact

Birmingham were deducted 7 for overspending. This was reduced by 1 for expeditiously admitting the breach, but another 3 added on for the trend (intentionally setting out get away with overspending).

4 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Edit... He's apparently the over 65s European taekwando champion. 

So unfortunately I feel we can attach little weight to his legal opinion on the EFL actions. 

Nice to hear from you though Mike. Great muttons ?

Loved Pejic when he was playing My type of footballer He would be suspended for half the season nowadays. 

8 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Married to the sister of the writer of the theme tune to Neighbours. I challenge anyone to get a more tenuous Mike Pejic link than that one.

We used to call him "Half-nose"

2 hours ago, Long Time Lurker said:

Eaton Ram's reference to Rams Trust has made me wonder whether we could get something out of the EFL through a letter along the lines of the one sent to the Club recently signed by Rams Trust, Punjabi Rams, Ryan Hills etc.  The letter could ask the EFL:

• How their approach meets with their stated aim of protecting clubs, particularly in respect of Derby.  

Overall I think this challenge is wonderful idea and I'd happily help write the thing if I knew anyone from any of the official Derby fan groups

However - I would imagine the EFL would say that we're setting a bad example to other owners - Our owner may be able and willing to bankroll us and take on debts and throw money at the club - However other, less scrupulous owners, who don't have the resources could borrow and get a club in debt trying to replicate what we've done...

At this point I don't think they give a monkeys about us as a fan base - They will just say it's our owners/boards fault and we should blame them, not the league 

8 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Of course, if we hadn't been so utterly useless in the last 15 games of the season, we wouldn't be worrying about an immediate modest points deduction

If we had been comfortably clear of relegation the EFL wouldn’t be pushing to relegate us, they’d be doing everything to make sure any penalty applies next season. It’s a joke.

8 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Have been away from the internet thing this morning so to recap just from this morning....

- Rooney may walk

- Curtis being touted as replacement

- Wycombe will sue us not the EFL

- we are now listed in Papa John's trophy

- fans are investigating Rick Parry

please have I missed anything?

Steve McClaren is not talking about us on sky

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Exactly. Article in the Sheffield Star, and first quote is one of their fans saying Derby did ‘the same as them’ (ie some shenanigans around stadium sale) and should therefore get a points deduction. Total ignorance fuelling outrage. Should be ignored. 

The decision notice spells this out.  I can’t remember the years in question but they accounted for the sale in one year to comply with P&S.  It actually took place the following year which meant they breached for the previous 3 years.  It also states that the principal is fine and, in our case, it was the valuation questioned not that it or was done or when.

9 hours ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

The fact these clubs want to sue us actually illustrates what a morally incompetent, corrupt bunch of idiots reside with the EFL. 

Furthermore I have never had such little interest in football in general as there is no fair playing field for any team. We are only guilty of trying to compete in an unfair system. We should now sue the Premier League for forcing us into this position. 

OR, more accurately.. the fact they want to sue us actually illustrates what a morally incompetent, corrupt bunch of idiots reside with Debry County Football Club....

3 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

We need a respected sports journalist to put some time looking into all this and then write a damning article about the EFL. This has descended beyond chronic incompetence it is now nothing short of victimisation.

I repeat what I said on another thread. At this moment in time it is not established if we gained an unfair advantage regarding FFP as our revised accounts have not been submitted, so put that in the pending file! Regarding our lack of clarity in declaring out unique but legal amortisation policy we have been found guilty on appeal and fined £100k. End of!!

What the heck are Wycombe on about? IF and its a big IF we eventually fail FFP when our accounts are submitted then blame the EFL for taking too long to sort it out but what has that got to do with DCFC?  

The big question is, why haven't the revised accounts been submitted