The UEFA European Championship 2020 Thread

Day

9 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I am taking it one game at a time.

Having watched France v Switzerland last night, I just can’t get excited about our chances yet.

I’ve not come away from a single game thinking we’ve played well. Got the job done, yes. Convincing performance, no.

Some will say the performances are immaterial if we get our hands on the trophy.

But unless we step things up, it’s quite easy to see us getting caught cold.

Well it’s getting better. Sweden (the better side) down to 10 men against Ukraine and running themselves into the ground 

29 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Having watched France v Switzerland last night, I just can’t get excited about our chances yet.

I’ve not come away from a single game thinking we’ve played well. Got the job done, yes. Convincing performance, no.

Some will say the performances are immaterial if we get our hands on the trophy.

I actually think we've looked very composed, very assured and professional. That 'bad defence' we apparently have is the only defence to not concede a goal. 

While I agree we could do better going forwards with more sustained attacks, I think Southgate has got this team drilled. We seem to have it spot on mentally and physically. Today was the huge test, we passed it. I'm very optimistic of our chances.

1 minute ago, JfR said:

Rules number 1 of international football: Never underestimate an Eastern European side whose names all end the same

Very true. Easy to get carried away looking at our potential route to the final, but Ukraine won’t be no roll overs.

Complacency is what will see is crash out now 

20 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I actually think we've looked very composed, very assured and professional. That 'bad defence' we apparently have is the only defence to not concede a goal. 

While I agree we could do better going forwards with more sustained attacks, I think Southgate has got this team drilled. We seem to have it spot on mentally and physically. Today was the huge test, we passed it. I'm very optimistic of our chances.

I honestly think we’ve looked unconvincing. We’ve got the job done. But it’s been a case of very fine margins - the kind of fine margins that can quickly go against us.

Tonight was a fantastic result but it was a very tight game that could have gone either way.

Like others have said, I’d like to see us play with more authority and more belief. It’s not as if we are winning 1-0 or drawing after a catalogue of missed chances or openings.

The number of quality chances we have created in four games we could count on two hands.

Ukraine won't be any pushovers but this is one hell of a chance for us. They'll be knackered after tonight and defensively Ukraine are a soft touch and are looking very ropey the moment any kind of pressure is applied. That is the game to unleash foden, saka, grealish and sterling on them and run them ragged. Plenty of energy and high tempo means they'll be on their knees by 65 minutes. 

Southgate has proven he can beat a 'big team' who took apart Portugal and advanced from the so called 'group of death'. Now let us see him get us to a major final finally and maybe even win something. 

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

What’s the point in watching It if you don’t enjoy It….???

we absolutely creamed those tonight, easy, we beat one of the most successful football nations in the world all ends up….absolute piece of cake. 
we now have the easiest run to the final you could have ever picked. 

but, for gods sake don’t enjoy It….!!

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I honestly think we’ve looked unconvincing. We’ve got the job done. But it’s been a case of very fine margins - the kind of fine margins that can quickly go against us.

Tonight was a fantastic result but it was a very tight game that could have gone either way.

Like others have said, I’d like to see us play with more authority and more belief. It’s not as if we are winning 1-0 or drawing after a catalogue of missed chances or openings.

The number of quality chances we have created in four games we could count on two hands.

3 wins, 1 draw, no goals conceded.

From our group, we topped a team that played in the last WC final, and pushed Spain to the brink, and another side that have despatched the Dutch with ease.

Meanwhile the so called group of death qualifiers are all searching for sunbeds in the Med.

If you can't enjoy the moment for what it is, rather than what might have been, maybe football isn't the sport for you?

5 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

What’s the point in watching It if you don’t enjoy It….???

we absolutely creamed those tonight, easy, we beat one of the most successful football nations in the world all ends up….absolute piece of cake. 
we now have the easiest run to the final you could have ever picked. 

but, for gods sake don’t enjoy It….!!

Yes, we won. But we didn’t cream Germany at all. It wasn’t a dominant performance. The two goals were great moments in an otherwise forgettable performance.

On the balance of play, it probably should have been a draw. But obviously we picked their pockets late on.

As it stands, we are in the quarter finals. Nothing has been won, so what can we enjoy? A final, of course. But we still have two games to get that far.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Yes, we won. But we didn’t cream Germany at all. It wasn’t a dominant performance. The two goals were great moments in an otherwise forgettable performance.

On the balance of play, it probably should have been a draw. But obviously we picked their pockets late on.

As it stands, we are in the quarter finals. Nothing has been won, so what can we enjoy? A final, of course. But we still have two games to get that far.

No team has ever won a major competition by being the best team in every match. It just doesn't happen.

Football is part tactics, part skill and part luck....sometimes the planets align for you and maybe, just maybe, its Englands turn.

53 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Ukraine, the Czech Rep or Denmark stand in the way of England and a place in the Euro FInals - you would have taken that at the start of the tournament.

Over to you Gareth...

It was always the situation that you couldn't play a team from your group again till the final.  Not sure it's happened before.

12 minutes ago, Rev said:

3 wins, 1 draw, no goals conceded.

From our group, we topped a team that played in the last WC final, and pushed Spain to the brink, and another side that have despatched the Dutch with ease.

Meanwhile the so called group of death qualifiers are all searching for sunbeds in the Med.

If you can't enjoy the moment for what it is, rather than what might have been, maybe football isn't the sport for you?

Enjoy the moment? If we reach the final, of course I and we all will enjoy it.

But at the moment, we are in the quarter finals. There is a long way to go yet.

Results have been great, don’t get me wrong. But I think better and more authoritative performances would breed more confidence and more belief.

It’s not like we have poor players. We are very capable of playing with style, with intent, with urgency. But it’s not been there.