Preseason 2021/22

RoyMac5

2 hours ago, rsmini said:

Stating the obvious but at this precise moment (14:42 July 1st) the club have not announced Wisdom or Waggy have left the club. The players to go have freed up some of the wage bill. Means we could bring players in but the embargo restricts them to £11k a week I believe 

Still a phenomenal amount of money.

Average wage in Championship is 29k per week but that is hugely inflated by Premier League Clubs coming down and ridiculous spending from the likes of Derby.

Average wage in League One is a little over 5k.

Hamer at Coventry on 8.5k a week.

Ikpeazu on 3k at Wycombe.

Just two examples of quality players on significantly less than 11.5k.

Players coming down from Scotland will be on less. Players with no club with the right attitude will do a stint like CKR to earn a new deal and bigger money.

As disappointing as all this is it really does feel like there is an ability to reset that we've needed for absolutely years. 

I'm not sure who we will bring in or how this season will go but I'm sure that whether it is in Championship or League One will have the right people in to play and if not then we'll not have clowns on 20k plus per week that spend half their life on the treatment table 

We have saleable assetts in Knight and Sibley and potentially Bird if he bucks his ideas up.

16 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Just two examples of quality players on significantly less than 11.5k.

It shows the complete mess that English football has got itself in regarding player wages when a limit of £11,500 per week for an average Championship player is considered a restriction/punishment.

Madness.

2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

It shows the complete mess that English football has got itself in regarding player wages when a limit of £11,500 per week for an average Championship player is considered a restriction/punishment.

Madness.

Until the EFL are able to sell their brand better then it's going to be the case. 

£11,500 is a lot but the margins between earning £11,500 a week and £50,000 a week is quite honestly a good pre-season and 6 months of good form. 

The Championship is the middle ground and unfortunately it means that disparity is there for a reason. West Brom probably have a few players on £40-50k a week. If Clarke-Harris has a stormer early next season, he could legitimately go from earning £6-7k a week to £40k a week in January which could be funded by the relegated clubs because of their huge parachute payments. 

I think people focus too much on the negative side of the money being spent by the club spending it. The money goes a hell of a long way for the teams receiving it too. Spending restrictions only go to support the larger clubs, because they can say they're unable to spend more due to X, Y and Z. 

I personally think if the money is being spent by a team in England (Premier League and/or Football League) and is going to another team within the football pyramid then the spending restrictions should be lifted. 90% of the time the team receiving the money end up benefitting way more than the team spending the money anyway. 

1 hour ago, atherstoneram said:

Isn't he still on his holidays cruising the inland waterways on a canal boat?

He’s travelling back from his job interviews at Spuds, Palarse and Everton…all very impressed with what he has achieved with the ??

8 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I think people focus too much on the negative side of the money being spent by the club spending it. The money goes a hell of a long way for the teams receiving it too. Spending restrictions only go to support the larger clubs, because they can say they're unable to spend more due to X, Y and Z. 

I personally think if the money is being spent by a team in England (Premier League and/or Football League) and is going to another team within the football pyramid then the spending restrictions should be lifted. 90% of the time the team receiving the money end up benefitting way more than the team spending the money anyway. 

Partly agree that transfer fees should be ignored when considering spending, especially when it's passing money around between English clubs! Player wages and Agents fees need restricting in some way in the EFL as that money just disappears out of the ecosystem.

Doesn't look like anybody outside the first team squad (as defined on the retained list) was involved in training today apart from Watson & Stretton.

Ebosele (if he's signed a new deal) and McDonald presumably being with the U23s instead is a bit of a surprise. Thought Brown and Cashin might also be involved bearing in mind they are almost certs to train with the first team and be on the bench at times next year.  

Do we think Ravas, Wisdom, Marriott and Waghorn just didn't show up?

Got through to Ravas who informed he wasn't coming back, and then saw on the news Marriott had re-signed for Peterborough so announced they have left, Wisdom and Waghorn still dodging calls.

2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Partly agree that transfer fees should be ignored when considering spending, especially when it's passing money around between English clubs! Player wages and Agents fees need restricting in some way in the EFL as that money just disappears out of the ecosystem.

Players deserve the wages that clubs can afford to pay. I have no problem with Pogba earning nearly £300k a week when United are turning profits. Agents, they're there for a reason and it's very complicated, but there is definitely measures that could be put in place that hinders their ability to earn fortunes. Agents, by and large, will look after their clients whilst football clubs want their pound of flesh for as little as possible. It just gives players someone who should be an expert in making sure they're not going to paint themselves into a duff deal because headline figures have swayed them. I think some have overstepped their role to say the least. 

The focus should be on putting a system in place that all clubs can benefit from. It's not easy and no system will ever be perfect. However, the FFP limitations has only worked to create a more rigid football pyramid than ever before, with the financial aspect of the game becoming almost as dominant as the product on the pitch. I still retain the belief that no club should ever be punished for 'over-spending' when there are teams in the same division with significantly higher wage bills. 

The year we had a wage bill sat at £40m, I believe our highest point, we had the 7th highest wage bill in the league, 35% lower than the team that knocked us out the play-offs, Fulham. We spent money to compete. At no point were we even close to being the highest spending team in the league. The irony is that if you are successful and get to the Premier League then you avoid all punishment - Leeds wage bill in their promotion season was at £78m (although I can't quite get my head round it). 

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Players deserve the wages that clubs can afford to pay. I have no problem with Pogba earning nearly £300k a week when United are turning profits. Agents, they're there for a reason and it's very complicated, but there is definitely measures that could be put in place that hinders their ability to earn fortunes. Agents, by and large, will look after their clients whilst football clubs want their pound of flesh for as little as possible. It just gives players someone who should be an expert in making sure they're not going to paint themselves into a duff deal because headline figures have swayed them. I think some have overstepped their role to say the least. 

The focus should be on putting a system in place that all clubs can benefit from. It's not easy and no system will ever be perfect. However, the FFP limitations has only worked to create a more rigid football pyramid than ever before, with the financial aspect of the game becoming almost as dominant as the product on the pitch. I still retain the belief that no club should ever be punished for 'over-spending' when there are teams in the same division with significantly higher wage bills. 

The year we had a wage bill sat at £40m, I believe our highest point, we had the 7th highest wage bill in the league, 35% lower than the team that knocked us out the play-offs, Fulham. We spent money to compete. At no point were we even close to being the highest spending team in the league. The irony is that if you are successful and get to the Premier League then you avoid all punishment - Leeds wage bill in their promotion season was at £78m (although I can't quite get my head round it). 

Quite...

If the efl want to stop championship teams overspending then they need to agree with the prem that teams that are promoted and overspend are instantly docked 30 points....

That would have stopped Aston Villa and Leeds in their tracks.

56 minutes ago, Rample said:

Doesn't look like anybody outside the first team squad (as defined on the retained list) was involved in training today apart from Watson & Stretton.

Ebosele (if he's signed a new deal) and McDonald presumably being with the U23s instead is a bit of a surprise. Thought Brown and Cashin might also be involved bearing in mind they are almost certs to train with the first team and be on the bench at times next year. 

Eh? There's load of them on the training pics... Ebosele, McDonald, J Brown, Cashin, Wilson, Dixon...

3 hours ago, Ambitious said:

P&S means clubs struggle to maintain constant near misses, ultimately that is us, and we get found out just before COVID means there will be a softer approach I guess

I can’t understand exactly what’s happening at the moment. We’re clearly in some sort of limbo period but it goes wider than the EFL and possible embargo. Even with that, we’d have a new kit and training gear - that would be part of the contract with Umbro, unless something else was on the horizon? 

The optimist side of me (and somewhat deluded side these days) wonders if the take over is nearly there (if there is one). This take over is Rooney is happy to continue and why we haven’t got a kit yet (as that could be part of the deal). 

That all sounds unrealistic. We’re probably just in the poo. 

6 minutes ago, WilkoRam said:

I can’t understand exactly what’s happening at the moment. We’re clearly in some sort of limbo period but it goes wider than the EFL and possible embargo. Even with that, we’d have a new kit and training gear - that would be part of the contract with Umbro, unless something else was on the horizon? 

The optimist side of me (and somewhat deluded side these days) wonders if the take over is nearly there (if there is one). This take over is Rooney is happy to continue and why we haven’t got a kit yet (as that could be part of the deal). 

That all sounds unrealistic. We’re probably just in the poo. 

I like a bit of optimism on here makes a change. Agree it is so quiet on everything that you dare to hope

4 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Leeds wage bill in their promotion season was at £78m (although I can't quite get my head round it).

Heavily skewed by very large promotion bonuses.

Which were well earned, it seems.