Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Suggestion Thread

Kernow

On 05/07/2021 at 15:20, Ghost of Clough said:

Then I think you'll be disappointed as it's extremely unlikely we'll make that many signings.

Is it possible that we might have to make cheap loan signings for the start of the season but that subject to the accounts and possible takeover, we might be in a position to make modest monetary signings later in August? 

Not sue why folk are so concerned about older CBs to be honest. Pretty sure Chiellini and Bonucci are playing still at the absolute highest level and I reckon they must have a combined age of 70 plus. We could do a hell of a lot worse than having a coupe of battle-hardened old warriors like Curtis at the heart of our defence for a season.

9 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Not sue why folk are so concerned about older CBs to be honest. Pretty sure Chiellini and Bonucci are playing still at the absolute highest level and I reckon they must have a combined age of 70 plus. We could do a hell of a lot worse than having a coupe of battle-hardened old warriors like Curtis at the heart of our defence for a season.

If we were looking at players of the standard of Chiellini & Bonucci you might have a point!  If we were looking at lesser players who've grown older but have still managed 30/40 full games over the course of the past few seasons, sure.

Jagielka has only played 1,635 minutes (18 full games) over the course of 3 seasons. Stearman was never particularly good and Huddersfield fans think he's past it and Davies is coming off the back of his second serious Achilles injury with us.

Their age isn't the issue.

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I know very little (if anything) about these palyers but google suggests they could be good CB options for us on frees:

Lukas Mühl
Sven van Beek
Hjörtur Hermannsson

As well as Van Beek, perhaps we could give Du Ploy, Critchley and Hudson Prentice a go too ?