Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Suggestion Thread

Kernow

24 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

It would be touch and go I think. Defensively, I don't really love that team at centre back. Clarke was a very good player at this level and replacing him will not be easy. I don't know just how important he was or how many goals he stopped by being there though but with Bielik we've seen the potential influence of one very good player. 

Mengi would likely have to step up in that role and be the consistent player on the team sheet rotating the others but davies and jagielka can't have many games left in the tank (maybe good for 10 a piece this year and that could be considered optimistic) and stearman was a centre back for a team that conceded the most goals in the entire division last season. My gut is that it would need to be a wisdom- mengi partnership for the majority which doesn't really fill me with a ton of confidence. 

going forward adding Baldock and Aluko might give us something a bit more so that might be positive but we likely will need to score at least 10 goals more than last season to pick up around 50 points so with those who have gone that probably means we need to pick up around 20 goals off the top of my head with new signings etc. I'm not sure Baldock and Aluko will get us there on their own, maybe the others will chip in a bit more though. 

Well, Aluko has scored 6 league goals in his last 4 seasons. Baldock, 10 in the last 3. Going to take some career turn around to even get us close. Even Marriott out scored Baldock last season!

3 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I get very very excited when I see a goalscorer being signed as a centre forward !

I think the last one was Dean Saunders although Dean Sturridge was a lot better than some gave him credit for even though he came through the ranks 

You forgot…

Da Da de Da… Stevie Howard.

Would be happy with another one of him for next year..

Can someone tell me .. are we allowed to sign anyone ?

it strikes me the championship is broke and there are a lot of proven old stagers with a year or two in them that would suit our youngish group. As today showed ..they can play football. 

what is our status ? Can we offer a deal and pay an out of contract player ? 

Edited by jono

5 minutes ago, jono said:

Can someone tell me .. are we allowed to sign anyone ?

it strikes me the championship is broke and there are a lot of proven old stagers with a year or two in them that would suit our youngish group. As today showed ..they can play football. 

what is our status ? Can we offer a deal and pay an out of contract player ? 

No. It seems like according to EFL rules we have a full squad, thanks to playing the Academy in the FA Cup against Chorley. We are under hard embargo and so it seems (most think) that if your squad is up to number to compete you can't sign other players.

But no-one actually knows for sure.

In the “olden days” there were some teams had mixture of pro’s and some amateurs.

Wonder if after window is closed that you could offer an unpaid (shop window) arrangement to out of contract players who would not be able to do anything until jan.?

Probably EFL would reject it too anyway?

Edited by Dean (hick) Saunders

11 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

In the “olden days” there were some teams had mixture of pro’s and some amateurs.

Wonder if after window is closed that you could offer an unpaid (shop window) arrangement to out of contract players who would not be able to do anything until jan.?

I think players need to be registered to play in the EFL

44 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

I did wonder that. What if Curtis offered to play for free?

I see @Spanishsays you have to be registered with the EFL, though. It really is a cartel, isn't it? 

19 minutes ago, angieram said:

It really is a cartel, isn't it? 

It's "Regulation 17 - Default in payments to HMRC" that's worrying me.

If we've got deferment agreements and payment plans in place all agreed with HMRC, then what business is it of the EFL's how and when this happens?

Who the... do the EFL think they are to place themselves above HMRC in this situation? As you say, cartel.

If they refuse to lift an embargo until all money is paid in full then I don't see that we'll be out of the embargo any time in the next few years, even with new owners as I can't see them just agreeing to pay £3m, £5m, £10m off in one lump sum, rather they'd want to take on carry on the arrangement in place.

Edited by Coconut

20 minutes ago, angieram said:

I did wonder that. What if Curtis offered to play for free?

I see @Spanishsays you have to be registered with the EFL, though. It really is a cartel, isn't it? 

we could always play in a different league ?

I suppose I do get he point about one body needs to oversee registrations though.

If just agreeing to not being paid gets around the rules we'd all be queuing up to play although we had have to have a hell a lot of more subs to cope with 90 mins.

15 minutes ago, Coconut said:

It's "Regulation 17 - Default in payments to HMRC" that's worrying me.

If we've got deferment agreements and payment plans in place all agreed with HMRC, then what business is it of the EFL's how and when this happens?

Who the... do the EFL think they are to place themselves above HMRC in this situation? As you say, cartel.

If they refuse to lift an embargo until all money is paid in full then I don't see that we'll be out of the embargo any time in the next few years, even with new owners as I can't see them just agreeing to pay £3m, £5m, £10m off in one lump sum, rather they'd want to take on carry on the arrangement in place.

17.2  Reporting Default Events. When a Club reports a Default Event to The League it shall at the same time provide to The League details of any and all amounts due to HMRC from the Club in respect of PAYE & NIC, together with the periods to which they relate.

17.3  Consequences of a Default Event. Without prejudice to the general position (pursuant to Regulation 43.4) that all registrations must be approved by The League, a Club which is subject to a Default Event shall be subject to a registration embargo such that it shall not be permitted to register any Player with that Club without the prior written consent of The League for the period that the Club is subject to a Default Event.

Maybe it is moot point in that the punishment is already in play for the other 3 reasons?

16 minutes ago, Spanish said:

17.2  Reporting Default Events. When a Club reports a Default Event to The League it shall at the same time provide to The League details of any and all amounts due to HMRC from the Club in respect of PAYE & NIC, together with the periods to which they relate.

17.3  Consequences of a Default Event. Without prejudice to the general position (pursuant to Regulation 43.4) that all registrations must be approved by The League, a Club which is subject to a Default Event shall be subject to a registration embargo such that it shall not be permitted to register any Player with that Club without the prior written consent of The League for the period that the Club is subject to a Default Event.

Maybe it is moot point in that the punishment is already in play for the other 3 reasons?

Perhaps, thanks for the added context. This one's definitely gone over my head, hence 'If they refuse to lift an embargo until all money is paid in full'... I don't know whether that is the case.

What would we have to do to 'clear' Regulation 17? Submit the accounts and provide proof that we've caught up with our (or arranged a new) payment schedule?

What constitutes " the period that the Club is subject to a Default Event"? How long is that period likely to be?

Definitely having a fried-brain day!

Edited by Coconut

8 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Perhaps, thanks for the added context. This one's definitely gone over my head, hence 'If they refuse to lift an embargo until all money is paid in full'... I don't know whether that is the case.

What would we have to do to 'clear' Regulation 17? Submit the accounts and provide proof that we've caught up with our (or arranged a new) payment schedule?

What constitutes " the period that the Club is subject to a Default Event"? How long is that period likely to be?

Definitely having a fried-brain day!

guessing the default event is however long the non payment is for?  Like you say if the club has negotiated a deal with the HMRC why should they be interested?  Seems odd that we are either the only club to have not paid or we are the only club being punished for it.  I am also confused as to why it hasn't been paid by now