Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

He will not go to Burnley.

Only risk of him going is Everton being relegated and going there and even then I’m not sure he would.

This is assuming the takeover goes through if it doesn’t then of course, but we’d have bigger concerns, and anyway the takeover is still looking promising.

The voice of reason...

I know we all have this love in with Rooney (me included), given the circumstances he has faced he has done an amazing job to put us within an outside chance of survival until fairly recently. Great job, I really want him to stay. But, I can’t really see the medias obsession with every vacancy at a premier league (or soon to be ex-premier league) club. 

His well deserved reputation has been built on circumstances such clubs will not face next season. Neither Burnley or Everton will need a manager with just a proven track record galvanising a squad of ageing free transfers and academy players fighting against adversity for the clubs very survival.

I don’t mean to sound as harsh on Rooney as this post may seem but he is completely untested managing a team of highly paid recent premier league players that you’d expect to be pushing for automatic promotion next season if they are relegated. Even a dog fight in the premier league (should they stay up) is nothing like what Wayne has had to contend with this season.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Burnley's owners have starved Dyche of funds, one of the main reasons they've struggled this season. I'm sure Rooney has noticed that. You can't do that in the PL and expect a manager to thrive. 

agree. also one of rooneys best mates is phil bardsley who played for burnley last season. so no dout they would be talking about the goings on there. also hence the link to us.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I know we all have this love in with Rooney (me included), given the circumstances he has faced he has done an amazing job to put us within an outside chance of survival until fairly recently. Great job, I really want him to stay. But, I can’t really see the medias obsession with every vacancy at a premier league (or soon to be ex-premier league) club. 

His well deserved reputation has been built on circumstances such clubs will not face next season. Neither Burnley or Everton will need a manager with just a proven track record galvanising a squad of ageing free transfers and academy players fighting against adversity for the clubs very survival.

I don’t mean to sound as harsh on Rooney as this post may seem but he is completely untested managing a team of highly paid recent premier league players that you’d expect to be pushing for automatic promotion next season if they are relegated. Even a dog fight in the premier league (should they stay up) is nothing like what Wayne has had to contend with this season.

Agreed. I have enough doubts about Rooney as a League One promotion-chasing manager, let alone someone expected to compete against the likes of Klopp, Guardiola and Tuchel. 

Burnley would be an excellent opportunity for Rooney. As would any parachute payment benefiting club in the Championship and in truth he probably needs to show that he can do something other than get relegated valiantly if he's to get a crack at a higher level. I don't think a promotion to the Championship has the same impact. 

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Media obsession- Rooney name is a big name... more clicks more sales... link him with every job going. Rooney is proving himself as a capable manager for what it’s worth but the media is obsessed with names like Rooney to generate interest. 

13 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Media obsession- Rooney name is a big name... more clicks more sales... link him with every job going. Rooney is proving himself as a capable manager for what it’s worth but the media is obsessed with names like Rooney to generate interest. 

Rooney, Lampard,Gerrard, clicks = cash. But would Netflix like Burnley for the backdrop to the next series?

I think WR has 100% confidence in his own ability but where he differs from a similar recent manager is that he doesn’t allow his ego to be massaged by the media hype or the hanger-ons around him. He strikes me as his own man who is quietly going about his business. He will move on (hopefully not yet!!!) when he believes the time is right for him or he can do no more at DCFC and not before. Despite the stories from his past his integrity is beyond question in my opinion. 

• 2 weeks later...