Lee Buchanan - Gone to Werder Bremen

Sean

7 minutes ago, Rammeister said:

Lots of interesting legal stuff relating to Glasgow Rangers situation in 2012 online. Slightly different to ours in that they were liquidated, nevertheless, the principle is arguably the same.

BBC article from 2013:

8FCA0CB1-DC45-4D52-8C9E-080A3B74F980.jpeg

Absolutely none of the five went on to better things either, ironically. 

10 hours ago, Rammeister said:

Lots of interesting legal stuff relating to Glasgow Rangers situation in 2012 online. Slightly different to ours in that they were liquidated, nevertheless, the principle is arguably the same.

So what's to stop Bielik, Bird, Knight & Sibley doing the same thing?!

If we've any sense we've held on to Buchanan's official registration, which is a completely separate issue from his employment contract being ripped up. No registration, no play. Werder can pay us for his registration, otherwise they'll be employing him as a training ground dummy.

It's very disappointing that an ex-Derby player and a product of the academy act like this but not surprising.

When I spoke to Bobby Davison many years ago, he was involved in the Baiano transfer and was absolutely not interested in helping Derby - he was bragging about how much he made out of the deal and basically had no feelings for Derby (he didn't know I'm a Derby fan - I'd told him I wasn't interested in football) - said Halifax and Leeds were his clubs. Perhaps Marco is more of a Mackem than a Ram...?

Anyway, it's a shame we'll have the distraction and costs of a legal battle when I'm sure this could have been sorted out properly.

so its an interesting one, you can in fact refuse to transfer to the new company, not sure why others don't use this as its a big loop hole. The only issue I have is that Derby hold his registration and he has a contract to provide services, I would have thought that was different from a normal employment contract that we non football players sign?

isn't it that registration that a club buys and isn't that registration outside of TUPE?   

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Marcos popular

If that's true that he's Lee Buchanan's agent then shame on him

The comments from our fans haven't prompted any response from him

I've stopped at his very nice hotel in York and I know he had money troubles when the banking crisis hit in 2008. He's sold it now so maybe the agents fees are more important to him than him being fondly remembered at Derby !!

Edited by SamUltraRam

I don't know if Marco is Buchanan's agent. The Derby Telegraph said that Quantum Sport is run by Marco, but he's no longer a director of Quantum Sport, having left that role in 2020.
https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/09922242/officers

He's still listed on the company website as a "consultant", but whether or not he was directly involved in this Buchanan situation or just happens to work for the same company as Buchanan's agent isn't clear.
https://quantumsport.co.uk/

Think it's harsh to pile in on him without a more solid link.

The agency website names Gabbiadini as their 'football consultant' - presumably giving his opinion solely from a footballing ability perspective. It's likely that after identifying potential targets, it would be down to others in the group to evaluate the financial viability of taking a player on board.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/lee-buchanan-pens-message-to-derby-county-supporters-after-sealing-departure/

The defender posted: “It was an absolute privilege to represent @dcfcofficial since the age of 14.

“Thank you to all the staff, players and fans.

“I hope to see the club back where they belong under the owner.”

If he gave a hoot about the club, he would have honoured the contract he was under.

At least Derby are pursing compensation via FIFA.

On 04/07/2022 at 22:32, Rammeister said:

BBC article from 2013:

8FCA0CB1-DC45-4D52-8C9E-080A3B74F980.jpeg

Did any Wigan players jump ship when their contracts were transferred ? I think Buchanan went out on a limb, this isn’t like the Rangers situation.  Especially as he miraculously found a club just a day after Clowes took over. 

4 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Did any Wigan players jump ship when their contracts were transferred ? I think Buchanan went out on a limb, this isn’t like the Rangers situation.  Especially as he miraculously found a club just a day after Clowes took over. 

Think there were Werder Bremen links long before Clowes even declared interest. The transfer was on the cards for a while we just had our hopes lifted that he’d stay when we saw that we’d triggered our one year option.

4 minutes ago, roboto said:

Think there were Werder Bremen links long before Clowes even declared interest. The transfer was on the cards for a while we just had our hopes lifted that he’d stay when we saw that we’d triggered our one year option.

he was /is under contract to us so he shouldn’t have had any links with werder Bremen. 

Just now, PistoldPete said:

he was /is under contract to us so he shouldn’t have had any links with werder Bremen. 

His contract was due to end in June 2022 and we were initially unable to trigger the extension due to being under embargo/administration.

Players can talk to other teams in Europe without issue when they’re in the list 6 months of their deal. Our extension was triggered too late and his mind looks like it was already made up.

5 minutes ago, roboto said:

His contract was due to end in June 2022 and we were initially unable to trigger the extension due to being under embargo/administration.

Players can talk to other teams in Europe without issue when they’re in the list 6 months of their deal. Our extension was triggered too late and his mind looks like it was already made up.

It doesn't matter when his own decision was made. It's whether we had extended it appropriately and before Werder Bremen had completed terms with Buchanan.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It doesn't matter when his own decision was made. It's whether we had extended it appropriately and before Werder Bremen had completed terms with Buchanan.

What I’m trying to say is that he likely sorted it out before the takeover and that they’ve waited for it to go through to finalise it because they think they can avoid paying compensation.

Its a s*** situation, but will hopefully get resolved with some compensation from Bremen if the club and the authorities work together on it.

Words I would use to describe Lee Buchanan fall in the same category as words I’d use to describe Mel Morris. I can’t say them on here.

All I will say, is I wish him only the worst for his future career. He’s treated the club that made him the player he is with absolute disdain. Weasled his way out of his contract, costing a club so desperate for cash vital funds, just because he didn’t want to see out the contract he agreed to. Always struck me as a bit up himself after Joinersgate, and it seems I’m right. A privilege to play for the club my arse. Hope we wring Werder Bremen for all their worth.