Lee Buchanan - Gone to Werder Bremen

Sean

17 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Words I would use to describe Lee Buchanan fall in the same category as words I’d use to describe Mel Morris. I can’t say them on here.

All I will say, is I wish him only the worst for his future career. He’s treated the club that made him the player he is with absolute disdain. Weasled his way out of his contract, costing a club so desperate for cash vital funds, just because he didn’t want to see out the contract he agreed to. Always struck me as a bit up himself after Joinersgate, and it seems I’m right. A privilege to play for the club my arse. Hope we wring Werder Bremen for all their worth.

Morris wrongdoing on a much bigger scale of course. But more obviously legal than what Buchanan did. 

7 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Morris wrongdoing on a much bigger scale of course. But more obviously legal than what Buchanan did. 

Indeed, sadly Mel will get away with destroying a football club, but hopefully with FIFA involved Buchanan won’t get away with this.

1 minute ago, Rev said:

Why, what was his role in Joinersgate?

It was reported by the Daily Mail at the time that, in addition to the Lawrence, Keogh and Bennett, there was also an 18-year old involved, but seeing as he wasn't driving himself and because of his age at the time, it was kept rather quiet
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-7555971/Football-news-Teenage-Derby-player-FOURTH-person-involved-car-crash.html

While that article does not mention what player it was, Buchanan was one of the only players we had at the time that fit the details given in that article (18, academy player, handful of first team appearances) and was pictured late in the evening with the players that stayed out late. As such, it's an assumption that he was the player referenced, but it must be said that, as far as I'm aware at least, this has never been categorically confirmed.

1 hour ago, PistoldPete said:

Did any Wigan players jump ship when their contracts were transferred ? I think Buchanan went out on a limb, this isn’t like the Rangers situation.  Especially as he miraculously found a club just a day after Clowes took over. 

Time will tell.

On 04/07/2022 at 13:42, Caerphilly Ram said:

I don’t think that’s correct. There are rules in place both domestically and internationally that ensures clubs are paid compensation for the training and development of a player under the age of 24 who moves on a free transfer. It’s explained quite well in these articles;

https://www.easportslaw.com/news/training-compensation-and-solidarity-mechanism

https://level.law/news/determining-the-level-of-compensation-for-out-of-contract-football-players-2

I’ve been looking for more info on it and can’t see anything that says it’s dependent on a contract being offered as this compensation is distinctly paid for the historic development of the player as a youngster, a future contract has no bearing on the time and cost put into developing the player from the age of say 12 to 21. 

67.3        Subject to the provisions of this Regulation 67, any Club which makes an offer in accordance with Regulation 67.2 of re engagement to a Contract Player who is an Under 24 Player and which is in the opinion of the Board not less favourable than the Player's current contractual terms, shall be entitled to a Compensation Fee in respect of the loss of the Player's registration, should the Player sign for another Club.  In order to comply with this Regulation, the annual value of the terms offered must be at least equivalent to the most favourable year's terms in the Player's previous contract.  The terms offered to Players for re engagements must be as favourable overall except that a signing on fee included in the previous contract and stated to be a once only payment need not be repeated.  Copies of all offers of re engagement made to Contract Players must be sent to The League.

13 minutes ago, TooFarInToTurnRed said:

67.3        Subject to the provisions of this Regulation 67, any Club which makes an offer in accordance with Regulation 67.2 of re engagement to a Contract Player who is an Under 24 Player and which is in the opinion of the Board not less favourable than the Player's current contractual terms, shall be entitled to a Compensation Fee in respect of the loss of the Player's registration, should the Player sign for another Club.  In order to comply with this Regulation, the annual value of the terms offered must be at least equivalent to the most favourable year's terms in the Player's previous contract.  The terms offered to Players for re engagements must be as favourable overall except that a signing on fee included in the previous contract and stated to be a once only payment need not be repeated.  Copies of all offers of re engagement made to Contract Players must be sent to The League.

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/41c272bcbc3b19df/original/c83ynehmkp62h5vgwg9g-pdf.pdf

FIFA rules don’t mention the need for a contract offer, we are due compensation regardless for the years spent developing Buchanan

6F54B2C5-6E76-4E23-91EF-C333BEDBB30D.png

4E54E25D-FE7E-4D28-84A0-6D83DCABE87A.png

E3ED7D31-136E-41E3-8E89-3DBB38B41765.png

TUPE

(7) Paragraphs (1) and (2) shall not operate to transfer the contract of employment and the rights, powers, duties and liabilities under or in connection with it of an employee who informs the transferor or the transferee that he objects to becoming employed by the transferee.

(8) Subject to paragraphs (9) and (11), where an employee so objects, the relevant transfer shall operate so as to terminate his contract of employment with the transferor but he shall not be treated, for any purpose, as having been dismissed by the transferor.

(9) Subject to regulation 9, where a relevant transfer involves or would involve a substantial change in working conditions to the material detriment of a person whose contract of employment is or would be transferred under paragraph (1), such an employee may treat the contract of employment as having been terminated, and the employee shall be treated for any purpose as having been dismissed by the employer.

(10) No damages shall be payable by an employer as a result of a dismissal falling within paragraph (9) in respect of any failure by the employer to pay wages to an employee in respect of a notice period which the employee has failed to work.

(11) Paragraphs (1), (7), (8) and (9) are without prejudice to any right of an employee arising apart from these Regulations to terminate his contract of employment without notice in acceptance of a repudiatory breach of contract by his employer.

He has a ball to kick, grass to play on, where is the substantial change in working conditions.  

18 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

He would need a permit as we are outside the EU

I know that. 

Germany (Specifically their equivalent of the FA) would need regulations/criteria that establishes how to qualify for a Work Permit. Obviously he must do - otherwise the German club wouldn't buy him, but I'm curious as to what their regulations are. I doubt they will be in English anywhere.

All I'm saying is, if we were to buy a player from a Germany second division (equivalent of the Championship), who only played circa 50% of the games in the previous season, and who was not an International, it would be very 50/50 if he would get a permit.

5 hours ago, TooFarInToTurnRed said:

Regulation 6.3?

I’m really not sure, everything I’ve seen and read online around other young players moving clubs suggests that we will be compensated for his development, it seems the Buchanan situation is a unique one and the only way we fans will get true clarity is if the club and/or the EFL issue a statement on the situation. 

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’m really not sure, everything I’ve seen and read online around other young players moving clubs suggests that we will be compensated for his development, it seems the Buchanan situation is a unique one and the only way we fans will get true clarity is if the club and/or the EFL issue a statement on the situation. 

I agree regarding the statement but not being registered as a player tells you something