El DerbyCo

roboto

21 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

What would the title be? Would make a good thread that! (Hint!).

1. Down Derby Way

2. 4 play-off finals and a funeral

3. My part in EFL's downfall

4. How to make a small fortune from football

5. 5 go mad in Derby

6. Sam, a Sheikh, Erik and me

7. A-mortise with me...

They sound like chapters to be honest.

Just missing

The peeping Tom from Leeds

Harry Redknapp - once, twice, three times a pain in the arse.

20 million and a P.E teacher from Madrid to spend it.

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

ok not that I'm interested in defending Mel but what is he supposed to do?  Best interest of the club is probably to wait until Alonso's option expires then bin him and wait for the next chancer.  All this publicity will not have increased our value

Why do we have to wait until the Alonso option expires? Based on the evidence if I was MM I would publicly come out and say the deal is off the table, let’s move on.

38 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Of course, but I'm not particularly proud of the fan reaction currently. The way the fanbase have been tearing strips off each other lately.

I think I just miss being in the ground at this point. I used to be proud of Derby and its fans. And after a win proud of the players. It made my heart swell. There's really nothing like live football.

And throughout this saga I've just felt passive. I love the club, it's in my blood and always will be. But I've just felt like there's nothing I can cheer for. Nothing and nobody I can be proud of. At this point my loyalty is to a club crest.

Insane to think. But I know what you're saying. We'll be back from this. It's not the first crisis this club has had and it won't be the last.

It’s a beautiful crest though isn’t it. Iconic. As bad as things are now and as polarised and divisive as fans might be, the good times will return. Admittedly we will probably be dead by then but still..

As for nothing to cheer us up or make us proud, I disagree. Curtis Davies. Let’s make him what this club represents rather than Alonso, Keogh, Pearce, Morris or Billy Caskey. 

We are Derby. Super Derby. Super Rams. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

From an accounts point of view, I wouldn't bet against a total loss of at least £80m for 18/19, 19/20 and 20/21. With the Covid impact, it probably exceeds £100m to be honest.

I can't be bothered to look at it from an actual cash flow perspective though.

I struggle to remember dates but I imagine that we must have had £20m income from sales in that period, plus compensation for Rowett and Lampard 

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I'd agree - if this was a normal business, but let's be honest - it's not

If the sale offer from Mel was any good, we would have had our hands snapped off by actual real serious business men, and not chancers with shady backgrounds who have already exposed themselves as people who have failed to buy other clubs (because they don't actually have any money)

I doubt any serious consultancies would go anywhere near being involved in trying to sell the club

This is what happens when a football club gets into serious financial trouble. When MM took over all I ever wanted was for our football club was to never get into the financial mess ever again promotion to the Premiership would be a bonus.

Edited by cstand

34 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Think he was also the dude involved in the R-R bribery case. 

I have read on twitter this guy may be involved, Tomy Winata in the Spanish Kids consortium, his wiki page is a very interesting read

Why can’t we find someone decent to take us over. Like Leicester, Wolves etc. Seems like we’re just left with the also-rans, the dregs. 
I’d rather Mel carried on than have these chancers take over. 
I wouldn’t be surprised if the next bloke was Jeremy Keith’s or Murdo McCloud’s cousin twice removed.  

49 minutes ago, cstand said:

This is what happens when a football club gets into serious financial trouble. When MM took over all I ever wanted was for our football club was to never get into the financial mess ever again promotion to the Premiership would be a bonus.

Promotion on a rising tide of performance, not as a result of chucking money and managers, was the stated aim. Instead we rolled the dice too many times, and have lucked out.

2 hours ago, Tombo said:

Of course, but I'm not particularly proud of the fan reaction currently. The way the fanbase have been tearing strips off each other lately.

I think I just miss being in the ground at this point. I used to be proud of Derby and its fans. And after a win proud of the players. It made my heart swell. There's really nothing like live football.

And throughout this saga I've just felt passive. I love the club, it's in my blood and always will be. But I've just felt like there's nothing I can cheer for. Nothing and nobody I can be proud of. At this point my loyalty is to a club crest.

Insane to think. But I know what you're saying. We'll be back from this. It's not the first crisis this club has had and it won't be the last.

I almost think a complete reset would be good.

Start again from the bottom, with a fan owned membership in control, and we spend what we earn and not a penny more.

A club constitution that prevents any one party taking over, and if that means that our natural level is lower than now, so be it.

It would be our Derby, not the plaything of chancers and spivs. 

If we could grow organically and one day return to previous heights, great, but if not there's nothing wrong with lower league football, it's Derby I pay to watch, not the opposition.

I'm a dreamer though.

1 hour ago, Abu Derby said:

Why can’t we find someone decent to take us over. Like Leicester, Wolves etc. Seems like we’re just left with the also-rans, the dregs. 
I’d rather Mel carried on than have these chancers take over. 
I wouldn’t be surprised if the next bloke was Jeremy Keith’s or Murdo McCloud’s cousin twice removed.  

I take it you are aware that both of your examples just basically laughed at the EFL rules on their way up to the Premier League?

27 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I take it you are aware that both of your examples just basically laughed at the EFL rules on their way up to the Premier League?

Doesn’t matter to them or their supporters, they were clever enough to get away with it, and more importantly, bought in the right players to make it happen. Players with quality who enhanced the team. 

11 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

Doesn’t matter to them or their supporters, they were clever enough to get away with it, and more importantly, bought in the right players to make it happen. Players with quality who enhanced the team. 

Mel already tried the same thing as Leicester and Wolves - i.e spend loads of money, break ffp and hope you go up before the EFL can touch you. It just hasnt worked in our case

Or are you referring to that time Leicester went into administration and shafted all the local businesses around them, because we might be able to do that soon as well if you want.

1 minute ago, GenBr said:

Mel already tried the same thing as Leicester and Wolves - i.e spend loads of money, break ffp and hope you go up before the EFL can touch you. It just hasnt worked in our case

Or are you referring to that time Leicester went into administration and shafted all the local businesses around them, because we might be able to do that soon as well if you want.

We didn’t get it right though - they did. By purchasing talented players.  That’s the difference. 
With the odd exception, we went out and bought one hit wonders or average players no better than what we had for a ridiculous amount of money.