El DerbyCo

roboto

1 minute ago, GenBr said:

Mel already tried the same thing as Leicester and Wolves - i.e spend loads of money, break ffp and hope you go up before the EFL can touch you. It just hasnt worked in our case

Or are you referring to that time Leicester went into administration and shafted all the local businesses around them, because we might be able to do that soon as well if you want.

The one that gets my goat is Leeds.  The club clamouring all over social media for our relegation, would very likely be in the same boat if they hadn't gone up and were the only club to my knowledge, allowed to finish one season in administration and start another one in the same state. They should by rights have been removed from the league so they can balls.

1 hour ago, Rev said:

I almost think a complete reset would be good.

Start again from the bottom, with a fan owned membership in control, and we spend what we earn and not a penny more.

A club constitution that prevents any one party taking over, and if that means that our natural level is lower than now, so be it.

It would be our Derby, not the plaything of chancers and spivs. 

If we could grow organically and one day return to previous heights, great, but if not there's nothing wrong with lower league football, it's Derby I pay to watch, not the opposition.

I'm a dreamer though.

That would also be my dream scenario although think the German 50 + 1 model might serve us better, ideally with wealthy local businessmen as the 49. Would still make us the first major club in England to be majority fan owned (not aware of any others in the top 2 divisions...AFC Wimbledon doing a fine job in the division below)

Like you say, a club that lives within its means & through constitution, unable to overspend or dilute the fans' share. A club that is owned by the city, county & all that care about it. That would inevitably mean relying heavily on our youth teams & lower league step ups, all talent on the way up. Plus the brightest young coaching talent to improve players, make the team greater than its parts & sell on stars to increase budgets & gradually improve the club as a whole.

The terrible irony is that this would almost certainly be a more successful strategy than the past 6 years & no reason why it couldnt end with regular top flight football.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

11 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

We didn’t get it right though - they did. By purchasing talented players.  That’s the difference. 
With the odd exception, we went out and bought one hit wonders or average players no better than what we had for a ridiculous amount of money. 

My suspicion is that in a year or so, Wolves fans will be fed up that they have reached their glass ceiling and moaning that their owners can’t or won’t take them further. If you asked me to name the most boring team in the Premier League they would be up there.

Leicester have smashed through their glass ceiling and fair play to them for that. They are a model club though, there’s probably 85 teams in the EFL and Premier League who wish they were run so well. And they relied on breaking the rules to get out this league. 

3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Why do we have to wait until the Alonso option expires? Based on the evidence if I was MM I would publicly come out and say the deal is off the table, let’s move on.

Maybe there is a financial penalty for ending the arrangement before a certain date quite easy really

25 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The one that gets my goat is Leeds.  The club clamouring all over social media for our relegation, would very likely be in the same boat if they hadn't gone up and were the only club to my knowledge, allowed to finish one season in administration and start another one in the same state. They should by rights have been removed from the league so they can balls.

Villa are one that annoy me. They had to sell their stadium to remain compliant (as we did), but they've had to do that even with parachute payments. The villa fans i worked with at the time really wouldnt shut up about them battering us multiple times, but it would have been embarrasing if we'd been able to compete with them after the money they spent.

1 hour ago, Abu Derby said:

We didn’t get it right though - they did. By purchasing talented players.  That’s the difference. 
With the odd exception, we went out and bought one hit wonders or average players no better than what we had for a ridiculous amount of money. 

Yes, but we’ve still managed to make one play off final and two play off semis since Mel took over.

Football is a game of incredibly fine margins. If Bryson had got on the end of that cross against Hull, we might have gone up in Mel’s first season. If Roos had caught the ball at Wembley, we might have gone up slightly later than planned.

As it happens, those things didn’t happen, and we’re left in 21st place and worried about our club’s future.

Mel has made some terrible mistakes, and his last act might well be to sell us to someone who destroys the club. His tenure has undoubtedly been a failure.

But if one or two tiny things had happened differently, he’d have been a club legend.

Such is football eh?

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

Villa are one that annoy me. They had to sell their stadium to remain compliant (as we did), but they've had to do that even with parachute payments. The villa fans i worked with at the time really wouldnt shut up about them battering us multiple times, but it would have been embarrasing if we'd been able to compete with them after the money they spent.

Recall them having the gates locked at the start of that season till they settled a massive tax bill- then they spent another wad of cash and didn't have to sell Grealish.  There's a lot worse fans around to be fair though and they did save us 5 million quid and 40 k a week on Lansbury.  

33 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Recall them having the gates locked at the start of that season till they settled a massive tax bill- then they spent another wad of cash and didn't have to sell Grealish.  There's a lot worse fans around to be fair though and they did save us 5 million quid and 40 k a week on Lansbury.  

Of course, if we'd have bought Lansbury he'd have scored a hat trick Vs Villa in the play off final!

Only to be undone by Villa's signing Jack Marriott, scoring all four of his side's goals.

4 minutes ago, r_wilcockson said:

What's the title of the next takeover thread going to be? Been waiting to find out since they announced Alonso. 

Duhr-by Rams Soccer Franchise

Edited by JfR