Champions League Reforms and The Super League

Van der MoodHoover

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

They make less from advertising if fewer people watch.

They'll also make less from gamblers if the gamblers move their accounts (not really sure of the terminology here I must confess).

I don't think they make too much anyway as Sky sold the betting side years ago and just licence the name but most betting sites are owned by the same 2-3 companies anyway.

2 minutes ago, sage said:

If viewings figures go down, so does advertising revenue. 

True - I don't agree with it of course but with each person that says they'll cancel, there will be other plastic TV fans who will sign up to watch the Euro Super League. If it happens anyway.

5 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

I don't agree with it of course but with each person that says they'll cancel, there will be other plastic TV fans who will sign up to watch the Euro Super League. If it happens anyway.

They'll be trying hard to sell it where 'heritage' and so on doesn't matter. Those non-English football fans that don't even know where Manchester etc is, let alone their history.

Edited by RoyMac5

47 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Let them go and ban them permanently from ever returning

I wouldn't want this to happen, purely for the sake of the proper fans of those clubs.

It's important to remember, behind the American billionaire owners, the multi-millionaire players and agents, the corporate sponsors and the armchair fans across the globe, the likes of Manchester United and Man City are proud football clubs that are followed home and away by real people. People whose support spans generations.

I hate the billionaire owners, but not enough to destroy those people's football clubs.

51 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

I think the fact that Spurs are involved tells you all you need to know. Spurs FFS! They haven't won the league for sixty years. I read somewhere that 13 different clubs have won the league since they last did.

We've won it twice since they last did. Where is Derby's invitation to this 'super league' ?

Edited by Rammy03

47 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

I think the fact that Spurs are involved tells you all you need to know. Spurs FFS! They haven't won the league for sixty years. I read somewhere that 13 different clubs have won the league since they last did. This manifestly has nothing whatsoever to do with football and everything to do with marketing and 'audience reach'. It's utterly soulless.

A club with delusions of grandeur. Below is a 1961 Hillman Minx, this is what people were driving about in the last time Tottenham were the English Champions. 

spacer.png

18 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I wouldn't want this to happen, purely for the sake of the proper fans of those clubs.

It's important to remember, behind the American billionaire owners, the multi-millionaire players and agents, the corporate sponsors and the armchair fans across the globe, the likes of Manchester United and Man City are proud football clubs that are followed home and away by real people. People whose support spans generations.

I hate the billionaire owners, but not enough to destroy those people's football clubs.

'Proper' fans will follow their club even if it ends up liquidated and reformed as 'FC United/City/County/Town of Wherever" and has to start from scratch though.

5 minutes ago, Coconut said:

'Proper' fans will follow their club even if it ends up liquidated and reformed as 'FC United/City/County/Town of Wherever" and has to start from scratch though.

Yes, but it’s not exactly as easy as that. A day when Manchester United is no more would be an extremely sad day for those people, and for many non-United fans as well.

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

See my earlier post. It’s easy to forget behind all the corporate crap that Man United have plenty of proper (local) fans that would be deeply affected by the loss of their club. 

I know, I'm just messing. Any fan who puts money into their club is important and as legitimate as a fan in a different locale.

34 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

A club with delusions of grandeur. Below is a 1961 Hillman Minx, this is what people were driving about in the last time Tottenham were the English Champions. 

spacer.png

I learned the basics of driving in a farmers field using Hillman Minx just like that ( except for the rust holes in the floor and the blown exhaust ) ?

2 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

Haven't these billionaires sucked enough money from supporters and the Premier League?

Pure greed, benefits nobody but their own pockets. poo stains.

It is true. When we think about it. Sky / BT et al are the paymasters but they get their money from “us” the millions who pay their 25 quid or whatever it is - every month. There have ways been financial games but these days where everything is subscription even the music you play I begin to wonder how far any of us is prepared to let it go on. Software, music, sport are all becoming very poor value. 

3 hours ago, eccles the ram said:

Wasn't really a Gary Neville fan but since seeing his tirade on Sky well said that man. Really agree that if top 6 teams have signed a document and are going to do this relegate them and give the title to Leicester again! Absolute greedy bamfords!

They’re not the top 6 teams though. Not even close. Where’s Leicester’s invitation, or West Ham’s. Arsenal are barely a top half club, 3 of those clubs didn’t even make the knock out rounds of the champions league (2 didn’t even make it to the champions league). United haven’t been the same since Fergie left, Arsenal haven’t been a European or even domestic power house since before Wenger left. Spurs have had one decent season where they were runners up in the champions league, and suddenly that gets them a ticket a to the top table!! WTF!! Liverpool similar, they’ve been mostly average for decades, until Klopp came along. City and Chelsea have bought their success fairly recently. 

how does any of that qualify them to be the top 6? The fact is football is cyclical, it’s swings and roundabouts. They may be the top teams now (they’re not), but they might not be forever. That very fact is why they need a closed shop, cos they’ve invested so much in this machine of a football club, they can’t afford to let silly things like a sporting chance get in the way of their business plan. That’s the very fact of why it shouldn’t be a closed shop, because everyone can have that chance to take their turn at the top, might be 20 or 30 more years, but Burnley might get a west Han season, or their could be another Leicester. 

unfortunately, that kind of thing becomes less and less likely in the modern game. So they (the powers that be) should be actively doing more to open the shop, not close it. 

2 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Seems spot on to me!

What? The guy has medals won off the back of his club entering into a breakaway league!

The pearl clutching from the Premier League and UEFA (who re-formatted the European Cup in order to make it more likely that the big clubs win it all so they could make more money) takes some serious brass neck. They've screwed over other football clubs for years and now they're angry that their protégés are flying the nest. Zero sympathy.

My guess is UEFA will "rethink" their plans and give these clubs more of what they want in the champions league reforms ("extra qualification points for being rich" so they're in even if they finish 15th domestically etc etc) then back down from it - I think it's a bit of brinkmanship, but I think they'll win and UEFA/domestic leagues will cave.

Having been involved in the Rugby League split in 95 all I can say is strap yourselves in for a few rocky years ahead. It will be interesting to see if whole playing rosters have signed as I would assume their current contracts are only valid in the league’s they are playing in currently. The RL super league got real messy when players from the same team were signing for different comps. 

If the big TV companies get involved then I would rather give my £25-30 a month to Rams TV to support their content and access to all to the DCFC games every season. Couldn't care less about the others now. I want to back the club I invest my time and soul in, it's time to ditch these greedy asswipes at the top of the tree. 

This is sapping the life of the game even more. Where's the heart and passion going to be? You can shove the European franchise league where the sun don't shine.