Champions League Reforms and The Super League

Van der MoodHoover

1 minute ago, rsmini said:

So a young up and coming player joins one of the so called big 6, with the aim of going onto playing in the PL, FA cup, Champions League. Maybe a chance of playing for your country in a World Cup, then all of a sudden this aim is removed as your big 6 club has just announced it’s joined the Super League. 

What do you do? Try and move to lesser club to achieve your dream? But you can’t move as your current big 6 club is no longer affiliated with the FA or PL so you can’t move anywhere. 

This new league opens up so many problems 

I think the FA, PL and the new super league will find a way to come to common agreement.

GIF by yvngswag

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

I don't think any supporter of one of the so called "Big Six" over 50 years old will have the slightest interest in this carp?

No proper football fan should have an interest in it. It's a bloody disgrace.

12 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I wouldn't want this to happen, purely for the sake of the proper fans of those clubs.

It's important to remember, behind the American billionaire owners, the multi-millionaire players and agents, the corporate sponsors and the armchair fans across the globe, the likes of Manchester United and Man City are proud football clubs that are followed home and away by real people. People whose support spans generations.

I hate the billionaire owners, but not enough to destroy those people's football clubs.

Maybe I was being a bit harsh. They can return but they have to start from the very bottom of the pyramid - no shortcuts. It would generate a lot of extra cash for a lot of non-league clubs.

Well Will Hughes will probably be called up to the England squad now if FIFA ban players who join this league. And what Mbappe & Haaland, the next 2 superstars? Will they want to join that league & risk not playing for their country? 

29 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Spurs are ranked 14th in the UEFA club coefficients. As they plan to have 15/16 teams in their new league, they'd make the cut on merit. However, Inter are 26th and AC Milan are ranked 53rd!

Bayern Munich, PSG, Sevilla complete the actual top 12. The first 2 declined?

It's that much of a cynical plan that PSG aren't interested.  That should tell you as much as you need to know about the whole thing.

It's alright UEFA coming out and saying it won't allow the teams to compete in their domestic leagues, and bar the players from representing their countries, but once some brown envelopes are passed round, their stance will immediately turn to one of compromise.

To be fair they've brought it on themselves for fannying about with the Champions League, and giving the so called big clubs too much sway in it's format.  There's been too many group games & dead rubbers, against sub-standard teams for years, all so they could hoover up more & more sponsorship cash.  You can't even really call it the Champions League when 3/4s of the qualifying teams aren't even champions of their respective leagues.  They should go back to the top 2 of each league qualifying, and simplify the Europa League so it doesn't feel like a burden for others out of the (so called) big 6 teams to play in it.  To further incentivize competing in it you could have the winners become an automatic seed for the following season's Champions League , and the semi finalists a qualifiers as well but seeded by performances or something.

This was always going to happen, honestly I am surprised that it's taken so many people by shock. 

It wasn't even 30 years ago that the Premier League was born out of a breakaway from the Football League in this country. The sole purpose was to generate more revenue. The Football League agreed to handouts. 

It's not surprising that the 6 richest clubs in the country are again looking at maximising their earning potential with another reform - this time looking to lock it up for good to enjoy continued revenue growth. Trust me, the Premier League and UEFA will agree to handouts because this train isn't stopping for no one. 

If UEFA and the Premier League want to put a stamp on it then point deductions, relegations. I'd even look to award PSG the Champions League trophy for their non-part in the movement. Although, I don't think it will be long before PSG, Bayern and others have very little choice. 

I so want this breakaway to happen. As of this lunchtime, the PL, UEFA  and other competitions should expel each of the 12 from their competitions. The Prem should expunge each of the 6 splitters results from the table for this year. Never, ever, ever let them back. 

No player who signs for a breakaway league club should ever be allowed back either. 

Forget them. In 3 years, when Inter and Spurs (or whoever) have been bottom 2 without a win in months, it won't feel so super.

We can get on with proper football as an actual sporting competition rather than a business.

I actually think this is a fantastic opportunity for football to complete reinvent its self. Let the “big 6” go and join the new league, the fact that 6 teams Weald the power over 86 other clubs shows you that the current model is well and truly broken.

The other 85 clubs need to band together and restart the football pyramid, have agreements in place to distribute the money fairly across the divisions and get back to the days where all teams stand a chance of being able to win the league. If we managed to win the top division would we care we didn’t play United or city? Not one iota. Football will carry on regardless, millions of people still support the other 85 clubs.

The way sky are condemning this new league tells me they don’t have the TV rights, itl be on Dazn no doubt but Thel still want to show as much football as they do now to not lose subscriptions so money will be still be rife in the game.

13 hours ago, sage said:

I've already rung Sky and told them I will cancel Sky Sports if they get involved. Money talks if enough people do this. 

13 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I did the same with Now TV

13 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

Won't make much difference to them unfortunately. They make the bulk of their money from the advertising that we still see despite paying for the service.

I really like the idea of EVERYONE faking enthusiasm and telling the sales teams that we will deffo subscribe and them counting on the money, then nobody subscribes at all, and it all crashes and burns. But the reality is, the shysters involved will trigger a recession and housing market collapse when it does! 

39 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Everyone says a closed league is a bad idea, but Speedball 2 was one of the greatest games ever. There were 2 divisions though I guess.

Loved playing that on my Megadrive 

8 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

Spurs have just sacked Mourinho. It's all kicking off!

Apparently he refused to take training this morning as a stance as he was opposed to the ESL, then subsequently sacked. Good on him if true

I don't see this as an act of greed - it's an act of desperation from the final victims of years of greed. The financial bubble of football has been bursting for a while, and it's now the super-clubs turn to feel what it's like.

I do not see this is as a money-grab. Perhaps it is at surface level, but really, there is a wider point here that these clubs are running away from, and that is that the magic money tree has finally ran out. To be competitive in the top domestic leagues and in the CL, you need to be owned and run by a country, not a multi-billionaire. Even then, the revenue streams cannot keep up with the increase in expenditure. The coffers have been bled dry and now, with the debt caused by Covid, they're desperate.

Someone has to finish bottom of this league, and given that two of the founder members are mid-table Premier League squads without the infrastructure to look ready to challenge the top 4 in the near future, I'd put money on Arsenal or Tottenham having a miserable time. Arsenal in that league, in fact, would probably put on a performance akin to what we did in the PL in 07/08. That is not sustainable. 

Part of me hopes they leave and pull up the draw bridge; not for us, but themselves. This league will be the stuff the casual fans watch, leaving domestic leagues for the rest of us to enjoy at a reasonable price. 

Archived