Champions League Reforms and The Super League

Van der MoodHoover

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

'Legacy fans'

Nice.

I'm struggling to be angry about this and instead find it very amusing. It's the final McKinsey-ation of 'elite' football. The rich billionaires have taken the game so far away from us, that they're simply sodding off. If they do go, what are we missing exactly? 

The reason I find it so funny is just how much they have missed the point. These superstar fans are fickle. These GDP-supported super clubs will eat themselves trying to out spend each other, and only one team can finish first. How long will Qatar, for example, continue pumping billions into PSG if they finish bottom of their group every year? 

48 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Just shows what these clowns know about football when they try to compare it with the NFL. There is only one NFL in the world, all the best players already play in it, and there isn't an NFL World Cup (plus other internationals & tournaments). None of that applies to football. They seem to believe they can set up a new self-serving football league and literally everybody (FIFA, UEFA, national associations, existing leagues, other clubs and supporters) will just fall in line with their wishes. Arrogant, deluded and (possibly) naive.

There's only two gambles that the 12 are taking: 1) that the football authorities will allow them to continue in their domestic leagues/cup competitions and 2) that 5 'other' clubs (effectively a sort of promotion/relegation but not quite) will join them each year - on a basis yet to be decided.

Never underestimate the ability of UEFA, FIFA the FA and all the rest of the pigs with their snouts in the trough to come to new understandings, don't underestimate the numbers of fans in Asia who will watch (and bet) on flies climbing up walls and never underestimate the ability of all football clubs to presume that the match going fans in this country (never mind the tourists) will continue to go.

If we want things to stay as they are (and they won't) we are relying on a ban from the domestic leagues and cups for which these clubs generate significant amounts of TV revenue by authorities used to the current largesse and we are relying on FIFA (an essentially corrupt organisation) banning players from representing their countries.  Lawyers around the world will be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of significant wonga coming their way.

Ian Holloway on the ESL: 'Talk about sadness, I don’t know about you, but I spent time watching the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral at the weekend and for the first time in a long time I was really proud to be British and this morning that’s just gone away' - prime candidate for next Spurs manager.....

2 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Ian Holloway on the ESL: 'Talk about sadness, I don’t know about you, but I spent time watching the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral at the weekend and for the first time in a long time I was really proud to be British and this morning that’s just gone away' - prime candidate for next Spurs manager.....

He is exactly the manager spurs both need and deserve.

Him or Pardew.

Just kick the big 6 out of the premier league, ban them from everything, promote 6 teams from the championship. They'll soon poo themselves when they realise they've got no fixtures to play, no competitive games and most importantly, no supporters. Good riddance.

8 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

After years of bickering amongst ourselves, we are finally united against the common enemy.

The European Super League - the Judean People's Front of football.

Nah - that's the People's Front of Judeah....

1 hour ago, Olton Ram said:

Just shows what these clowns know about football when they try to compare it with the NFL. There is only one NFL in the world, all the best players already play in it, and there isn't an NFL World Cup (plus other internationals & tournaments). None of that applies to football. They seem to believe they can set up a new self-serving football league and literally everybody (FIFA, UEFA, national associations, existing leagues, other clubs and supporters) will just fall in line with their wishes. Arrogant, deluded and (possibly) naive.

Now more than ever the football authorities need to stand together. The Premier League should confirm that if any of the so called big six commit to the new super league they are immediately expelled. The EFL should also confirm that none of those clubs will be accepted into their league as an alternative. UEFA should confirm that there will be no further compromise on the format of the Champions League and immediately expel those still in the current competitions and permanently ban all six from future tournaments. FIFA should confirm that no Euro Super League players will be allowed to play for their countries again should they participate in it and the likes of Sky should state that they will take legal action against the clubs for breach of contract over TV rights and furthermore refuse to bid for any TV rights. 

If all of this is done the greedy bar stewards will be isolated and have no room for negotiation. Personally I would expel them now and when they cave and beg to come back make them start in the National League North/South. 

2 hours ago, Duracell said:

I don't see this as an act of greed - it's an act of desperation from the final victims of years of greed. The financial bubble of football has been bursting for a while, and it's now the super-clubs turn to feel what it's like.

I do not see this is as a money-grab. Perhaps it is at surface level, but really, there is a wider point here that these clubs are running away from, and that is that the magic money tree has finally ran out. To be competitive in the top domestic leagues and in the CL, you need to be owned and run by a country, not a multi-billionaire. Even then, the revenue streams cannot keep up with the increase in expenditure. The coffers have been bled dry and now, with the debt caused by Covid, they're desperate.

Someone has to finish bottom of this league, and given that two of the founder members are mid-table Premier League squads without the infrastructure to look ready to challenge the top 4 in the near future, I'd put money on Arsenal or Tottenham having a miserable time. Arsenal in that league, in fact, would probably put on a performance akin to what we did in the PL in 07/08. That is not sustainable. 

Part of me hopes they leave and pull up the draw bridge; not for us, but themselves. This league will be the stuff the casual fans watch, leaving domestic leagues for the rest of us to enjoy at a reasonable price. 

Spot on............that’s my post of the day sorted!

25 minutes ago, Alpha said:

How the hell do they have the nerve to object the Super League

They just upset the money bypasses their fat greedy pockets.

Wild theory:

Did they just re-boot the ESL idea to get the UCL reforms (which as above obviously further improve the lots of the "elite" clubs) through and people would accept them as being better than the alternative?

Can't believe I've wasted at least 2 hours reading, watching and thinking about this load of balls today.

Archived