Champions League Reforms and The Super League

Van der MoodHoover

34 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Well said Gary Neville, however the foreign owners don't care about tradions or working class fans. They bought the "brand"

All they are care about is TV / online subscriptions and revenue streams. 

They will be happy to fill stadiums at £5 a ticket to ensure an atmosphere in the knowledge x millions of peoples are paying £5 to watch online. 

This was always on the cards when foreign money was ushered into various leagues. 

Barcelona circa 1bn in debt and the Milan clubs racking up debts left right and centre. I wonder why the owners think a super league is a good idea.....? 

The final paragraph explains the sudden interest from Spain and Italy doesn’t it.

The foreign clubs have had the money the Premier League has had over the last 20 odd years and are in a state of ruin.

However the clubs in our country are an utter disgrace and if the greedy bar stewards do go ahead with this and in the future wish to return to the English setup I would suggest they are forced to re-register just like Wimbledon were forced to do. Start from the very basement of our football pyramid. 

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

The final paragraph explains the sudden interest from Spain and Italy doesn’t it.

The foreign clubs have not had the money the Premier League has had over the last 20 odd years and are in a state of ruin.

However the clubs in our country are an utter disgrace and if the greedy bar stewards do go ahead with this and in the future wish to return to the English setup I would suggest they are forced to re-register just like Wimbledon were forced to do. Start from the very basement of our football pyramid. 

24 minutes ago, jono said:

Of course it’s a money thing from those opportunists and I don’t like it one bit .... but I can’t help laughing at the Premier League saying “it attacks the spirit of open completion and sporting merit”  .. what and your league has 10 times the income of the league below which you use as cannon fodder for your super league ? 

pot and kettle well met 

Great post jono, agree totally, The PL are pooping themselves because it would be the end of their gravy train, that is their sole motivation to this suggestion.

2 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

Premier League and  Sky talking heads using words like 'disgraceful', 'greed', and ' selfish. I don't recall the same organisations saying similar in 1992, what's different?

I see a lot of comments like this and have to say I'm a little bit surprised by it. Of course Premier League was created out of greed, but for me, you cross a line when you start to create competitions not based on sporting merits.

2 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

Premier League and  Sky talking heads using words like 'disgraceful', 'greed', and ' selfish. I don't recall the same organisations saying similar in 1992, what's different?

It's doesn't mean they are not right.

They may not have the moral heft here but they are still right.

50 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Is nobody else fed up of that garbage sport? It's gone too far. 

Watched a bit of United earlier and saw Marcus Rashford blown over in the penalty area. Then this... 

Don't give em your money. 

You mean Rashford did a 'Franny Lee'?

15 minutes ago, sage said:

I've already rung Sky and told them I will cancel Sky Sports if they get involved. Money talks if enough people do this. 

Won't make much difference to them unfortunately. They make the bulk of their money from the advertising that we still see despite paying for the service.

I think the fact that Spurs are involved tells you all you need to know. Spurs FFS! They haven't won the league for sixty years. I read somewhere that 13 different clubs have won the league since they last did. This manifestly has nothing whatsoever to do with football and everything to do with marketing and 'audience reach'. It's utterly soulless.

8 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Won't make much difference to them unfortunately. They make the bulk of their money from the advertising that we still see despite paying for the service.

They make less from advertising if fewer people watch.

They'll also make less from gamblers if the gamblers move their accounts (not really sure of the terminology here I must confess).

14 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

If viewings figures go down, so does advertising revenue. 

Archived