Champions League Reforms and The Super League

Van der MoodHoover

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

If enough people are prepared to pay to watch this circus then it will happen.

The advertising campaign for people to sign up will be phenomenal, millions and millions will be spent on huge, glossy, advertising with famous players and managers fronting it.

I don't care personally because I will not be subscribing to it, unfortunately, millions of others will.

Will enough Man United, Man City or Liverpool fans rebel? I would love to think so but seeing how we have given in to the greed is good brigade in all other aspects of our lives I'm not holding my breath.

If it's on a separate subscription it will be easy to boycott, but what if they tie it in with domestic football and other sports like cricket and golf? 

All or nothing and I think many sports fans would give in.

1 minute ago, angieram said:

If it's on a separate subscription it will be easy to boycott, but what if they tie it in with domestic football and other sports like cricket and golf? 

All or nothing and I think many sports fans would give in.

I may be wrong, but I think that model is already past its sell by date, which is why Sky split their sport offerings into dedicated channels (e.g. Sky Football). With the likes of Amazon already showing an interest in sports broadcasting Sky have to be far more nimble in offering customers choice. The days of forcing subscribers to pay for everything, whether they want it or not, are over. Back in the 90s Sky had a stranglehold on subscription TV; they don't anymore (thankfully).

Time will tell though.

2 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

I may be wrong, but I think that model is already past its sell by date, which is why Sky split their sport offerings into dedicated channels (e.g. Sky Football). With the likes of Amazon already showing an interest in sports broadcasting Sky have to be far more nimble in offering customers choice. The days of forcing subscribers to pay for everything, whether they want it or not, are over. Back in the 90s Sky had a stranglehold on subscription TV; they don't anymore (thankfully).

Time will tell though.

I am not so sure it's that simple is it? We seem to have to have the full sports subscription to watch golf, cricket and EFL. I don't watch Champions League so presume that isn't on Sky.

Or it could just be my other half buys the lot without telling me!

12 hours ago, sage said:

I've already rung Sky and told them I will cancel Sky Sports if they get involved. Money talks if enough people do this. 

I cancelled mine last year for the same reasons.  I can't see how you can subscribe to sky sports and moan about this type of thing.  It's not just them of course, every sports channel will report on this as if it was the number one interest of every supporter.

It'll be interesting to see who blinks first. These clubs seem to believe that they can form a mid-week European Super League and still take part in the Premier League, because the Premier League can't do without them. The Premier League seems to think that these 'super clubs' have attained that status (and income) because they're in the Premier League, and so can't risk having to leave/be kicked out.

Someone's going to have to give way.

10 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

They’re not the top 6 teams though. Not even close. Where’s Leicester’s invitation, or West Ham’s. Arsenal are barely a top half club, 3 of those clubs didn’t even make the knock out rounds of the champions league (2 didn’t even make it to the champions league). United haven’t been the same since Fergie left, Arsenal haven’t been a European or even domestic power house since before Wenger left. Spurs have had one decent season where they were runners up in the champions league, and suddenly that gets them a ticket a to the top table!! WTF!! Liverpool similar, they’ve been mostly average for decades, until Klopp came along. City and Chelsea have bought their success fairly recently. 

how does any of that qualify them to be the top 6? The fact is football is cyclical, it’s swings and roundabouts. They may be the top teams now (they’re not), but they might not be forever. That very fact is why they need a closed shop, cos they’ve invested so much in this machine of a football club, they can’t afford to let silly things like a sporting chance get in the way of their business plan. That’s the very fact of why it shouldn’t be a closed shop, because everyone can have that chance to take their turn at the top, might be 20 or 30 more years, but Burnley might get a west Han season, or their could be another Leicester. 

unfortunately, that kind of thing becomes less and less likely in the modern game. So they (the powers that be) should be actively doing more to open the shop, not close it. 

Spurs are ranked 14th in the UEFA club coefficients. As they plan to have 15/16 teams in their new league, they'd make the cut on merit. However, Inter are 26th and AC Milan are ranked 53rd!

Bayern Munich, PSG, Sevilla complete the actual top 12. The first 2 declined?

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

On the voting thread, where you don’t seem to be able to add comments (was that deliberate @sage?) I voted no to the super league. Super league teams will just become even more super rich, will dominate domestic football even more, will complain about having to play too many games and will no doubt affect domestic football schedules. If it meant they were kicked out of domestic football then it would have been a firm yes from me.

There was already a thread for a discussion 

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Bayern Munich, PSG, Sevilla complete the actual top 12. The first 2 declined?

I don't know about PSG, but I would hazard a guess that Bayern Munich have almost a sustainable business model so don't need the wonga?

It'll come down to money, of course. I suspect there will be some big brown envelopes passed around in the next few days. There will be some big smiles on TV and an agreement reached before too long........and some new yachts purchased.

Sometimes I hate this game.

17 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The 'New Big 6' will soon be announced as: Leicester, Everton, Newcastle, West Ham, Leeds, and Wolves.

I suppose I hate this because I really want one or more of them to failure (unrealistic never going to happen) and this creates a very private club that will attract the top  sponsorship.  European NFL of sorts.  Because the Draft would seem impossible the end result may start to look sterile but who knows?  The other side of this is with those bstards out of the way it may create a bit more room for the rest to challenge for top places.  Part of my think good riddance

I don't think any supporter of one of the so called "Big Six" over 50 years old will have the slightest interest in this carp?

Can anyone convince me the Premier League is actually better that the old Division 1?

That's why I'm not even bothered about getting to the so called "promised land", at least the Championship (I hate the moniker) is a still good laugh with more than an even chance of a 3 p.m. Saturday KO.

So a young up and coming player joins one of the so called big 6, with the aim of going onto playing in the PL, FA cup, Champions League. Maybe a chance of playing for your country in a World Cup, then all of a sudden this aim is removed as your big 6 club has just announced it’s joined the Super League. 

What do you do? Try and move to lesser club to achieve your dream? But you can’t move as your current big 6 club is no longer affiliated with the FA or PL so you can’t move anywhere. 

This new league opens up so many problems 

Archived