Things that annoy me but shouldn’t..

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/Derby-news/rare-white-squirrel-spotted-Derby-6214612

Apparently there's incredibly rare White ones in Derbyshire and a few in Staffordshire.  One less at that minute as some twit shot one with a air rifle last year for a laugh and left it in agony till it was collected and put down by the RSPCA. 

It looks cool as duck, but as the article says its a grey with a genetic defect, as opposed to being a separate subspecies like in the case of Black or Red  squirrels.

There’s often a tiny percentage of animals within each species with this kind of DNA defect…..albino Robins, hedgehogs etc.

Some animals do have albino as the norm, ferrets for instance (before the introduction of polecat DNA)

Loved the article though

20 hours ago, sage said:

I saw a pine martin in the summer at the top end of Shining Cliff Woods between Ambergate and Alderwasley. Judging by the size amd colouring it was an immature male ( it was like looking in a mirror). 

Sage if your not winding me up, I’m absolutely made up….have you reported your sighting to Derbyshire Wildlife Trust?

The last confirmed sighting of a pine marten that I knew off in Derbyshire was in 2018, & it was dead on the road near to Ambergate. So you”d be bob on with the locality.

The one prior to this was years ago

It could be that Derbyshire wildlife trust are aware of a small presence & are not publicising it.

i know that there were some plans being looked at to reintroduce them to Derbyshire as recently as August of this year. But I don’t know if anything came of it

I do a fair bit of subcontracting work around Alderwasley, & I’m going to be obsessed with seeing one now.

10 minutes ago, sheeponacid said:

Sage if your not winding me up, I’m absolutely made up….have you reported your sighting to Derbyshire Wildlife Trust?

The last confirmed sighting of a pine marten that I knew off in Derbyshire was in 2018, & it was dead on the road near to Ambergate. So you”d be bob on with the locality.

The one prior to this was years ago

It could be that Derbyshire wildlife trust are aware of a small presence & are not publicising it.

i know that there were some plans being looked at to reintroduce them to Derbyshire as recently as August of this year. But I don’t know if anything came of it

I do a fair bit of subcontracting work around Alderwasley, & I’m going to be obsessed with seeing one now.

I'm convinced it was an immature pine marten. I mentioned it to some people we met in the Shining Cliff Car Park and this woman rubbished it and said size wise it was a stoat. However i checked when i got home and the colouring was that of a Pine Marten. The woman pissed me off so much in front of her mates that I just kept it to myself.   

I will PM you exactly where i saw it. 

42 minutes ago, sage said:

I'm convinced it was an immature pine marten. I mentioned it to some people we met in the Shining Cliff Car Park and this woman rubbished it and said size wise it was a stoat. However i checked when i got home and the colouring was that of a Pine Marten. The woman pissed me off so much in front of her mates that I just kept it to myself.   

I will PM you exactly where i saw it. 

Men who Weasel out of a verbal confrontation.

Little blue lights… some no more masculine than fairy lights… adorning the front ends of vans, 40 tonne trucks, and even those hot hatch things those 12 year olds screech around in. 
At first glance… particularly in a rear view mirror… there is a more than slight resemblance to an approaching emergency vehicle. 
Hopefully, they will be made illegal some time soon, and hopefully before someone makes a serious but mistaken reaction to them on a fast moving A road, or motorway, but in the meantime, if you could all just duck off and go play with your fairy lights in a ploughed field somewhere out of the way, it would be most appreciated. 

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

My better half is amazing at getting gifts for people.

And every Christmas she gets crap gifts of my family. This year it was a second hand book that had a "our next church book sale is march 4th" bookmark inside it. I mean, it's not even a book she'd said she wanted to read.

It's really annoying.

Our family has never quite been THAT bad!

...But it got to the stage where we either spend an absolute fortune (We're a fairly large family) or exchange one crap gift for another!

So a good while back (must be ten years ago now, if not longer?), despite a reasonably average income, (it was more about the difficulty in buying a suitably desired present, rather than cost, per sé) I made a proposal... no buying for over 18's, between Parents/adult kids, brothers/sisters, uncles/aunts & adult nephews/nieces, and all similar relations. 
Spouses, Under 18's, grandkids, pensioner father-in -law etc remained optional and operational!  ?
As an alternative, I proposed more hugs (This was pre-covid!), lot's of regular contact/gatherings/visits and such like.

Strictly no cheating!  No "Oh, it's just a little something", only for the receiver to then feel poo for not getting them something!  ?

There were whelps of relief, tears of joy, cries of "Oh my, you are the greatest brother/uncle/Dad in the wholest,widest world!" (Some of my family don't carry my wordsmithery!) and the proposal was unanimously accepted with immediate effect, and this once strong family grew stronger still!

Try it... thank me next year!   ? ?

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Our family has never quite been THAT bad!

...But it got to the stage where we either spend an absolute fortune (We're a fairly large family) or exchange one crap gift for another!

So a good while back (must be ten years ago now, if not longer?), despite a reasonably average income, (it was more about the difficulty in buying a suitably desired present, rather than cost, per sé) I made a proposal... no buying for over 18's, between Parents/adult kids, brothers/sisters, uncles/aunts & adult nephews/nieces, and all similar relations. 
Spouses, Under 18's, grandkids, pensioner father-in -law etc remained optional and operational!  ?
As an alternative, I proposed more hugs (This was pre-covid!), lot's of regular contact/gatherings/visits and such like.

Strictly no cheating!  No "Oh, it's just a little something", only for the receiver to then feel poo for not getting them something!  ?

There were whelps of relief, tears of joy, cries of "Oh my, you are the greatest brother/uncle/Dad in the wholest,widest world!" (Some of my family don't carry my wordsmithery!) and the proposal was unanimously accepted with immediate effect, and this once strong family grew stronger still!

Try it... thank me next year!   ? ?

We rationalised it down to kids, big fam secret Santa and siblings secret Santa, we're a big family as well.

But yeah, she takes it seriously and puts a lot of thought into it and last two years has had duff presents in return. It's not the money (there's a pretty low cap) it's the half arsed nature of it. Doesn't ruin Christmas or anything, but it is very annoying.

9 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

People who say that they cannot watch something with subtitles! Automatically dismissing some of the greatest TV and Movies available.

Some folks are apprehensive of watching a film with subtitles, thinking they will not be able to smoothly follow the plot, but then again some folks are just mentally lazy.

9 hours ago, ramit said:

Some folks are apprehensive of watching a film with subtitles, thinking they will not be able to smoothly follow the plot, but then again some folks are just mentally lazy.

I appreciate that some people’s reading and comprehension isn’t the best but in many cases people don’t like them because it means they have to look up from their phones!