The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

I haven't noticed any changes yet since 19 July. Our local Tesco is still 90/10 in favour of masks.

Our Asda though is about 60/40 in favour of masks.

So my observations tend to back up yours... The demographic of the store has a big impact your chance of getting infected.

Whereabouts in Hants are you.

4 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Noticing less and less mask wearing now in super markets etc. Seems that people feeling less pressured into doing this.

The missus said, it depends on the super market ?. Went to Waitrose and it was 80/20 in favour of masks, went to Aldi and the exact opposite. Dunno what to make of that ?

You should try Jack Fulton - most people in there haven’t got enough fingers to put a mask on. 

15 hours ago, Stagtime said:

Ours seems to be back under control with the seven day lockdown finishing yesterday. The big difference was the 2 three day lockdowns we had previously the cases got back to zero where yesterday there was still 9 cases but they had been in quarantine the whole time. Not sure if it’s the same over there but the majority of the delta cases here were children linked to a karate class, the teacher is a student doctor working at a main hospital.

I believe you’ll find vaccinations rates will soar when they become available. Noticed Sydney will give exemptions to tradies from the western suburbs (around 80% of their tradies live out there) that have vaccinations so they can get back to work.

On a brighter note the PM’s ratings have tanked over the last week and with a election due early next year the libs will have to pull their fingers out to have any chance of another term.

It’s been interesting to see how things have gone over there with your vaccinations rates, gives a glimmer of hope that things might calm down shortly.

My daughter's partner has just out this together, she did a bit of the camera work and appears occasionally.  Hope it raises the spirits a bit

7 hours ago, Spanish said:

My daughter's partner has just out this together, she did a bit of the camera work and appears occasionally.  Hope it raises the spirits a bit

Top video, amazing how much of that reminds of Queensland. We were booked to go over there next week but they have shut the border?so we’re going to Melbourne in a couple of weeks and then to Tasmania early October. Our year has been a bit like that, traveled everywhere from the Snowy Mountains down south up to the tropics in Far North Qld a few times. Makes you realise how lucky we’ve been. It’s been the one upside of not being able to go OS it’s been able to finally travel around Oz.?

7 hours ago, Stagtime said:

Top video, amazing how much of that reminds of Queensland. We were booked to go over there next week but they have shut the border?so we’re going to Melbourne in a couple of weeks and then to Tasmania early October. Our year has been a bit like that, traveled everywhere from the Snowy Mountains down south up to the tropics in Far North Qld a few times. Makes you realise how lucky we’ve been. It’s been the one upside of not being able to go OS it’s been able to finally travel around Oz.?

That was a year of travelling south to north on both islands, making the best out of the situation

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

@Stagtime 

See below article. 28 days?! Are you sure you’re heading in the right direction? Lol

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/58172665

That’s a surprise because all the athletes were supposed to be quarantining at Howard Springs in Northern Territory. A bit silly taking them into a lockdown area. I think you might find that it will only be NSW personnel going into Sydney but if that’s  not the case it won’t go down well. Time will tell.

Just read the local paper and there are indeed 16 SA athletes quarantined in Sydney. What a total duck up. The AOC were told they would have to do the normal 14 days in SA after coming from a lockdown area. Hope someone gets reamed a new one over this.

Edited by Stagtime

On 11/08/2021 at 18:16, rammieib said:

@Stagtime 

See below article. 28 days?! Are you sure you’re heading in the right direction? Lol

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/58172665

Got a snap 7 day lockdown now in Canberra due to 1 case of covid...

Elsewhere in Australia, NSW Government to request more military to “police” state health orders and want to 'redraft' public health orders to give the police more powers...

And for you cricket loving types, this winters Ashes is in doubt;

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12123/12376432/is-the-ashes-series-in-australia-this-winter-in-doubt-over-england-players-concerns

Oh and fwiw, the median age of covid deaths in Australia is 86;

https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-at-a-glance-10-august-2021

Is Australia ever going to return to normal?

10 hours ago, maxjam said:

Got a snap 7 day lockdown now in Canberra due to 1 case of covid...

Elsewhere in Australia, NSW Government to request more military to “police” state health orders and want to 'redraft' public health orders to give the police more powers...

And for you cricket loving types, this winters Ashes is in doubt;

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12123/12376432/is-the-ashes-series-in-australia-this-winter-in-doubt-over-england-players-concerns

Oh and fwiw, the median age of covid deaths in Australia is 86;

https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-at-a-glance-10-august-2021

Is Australia ever going to return to normal?

Probably not for a very long time. Was reading this morning that the NZ PM is going to keep the borders shut until next year, so the entire population can be vaccinated. Going to be in for a nasty shock when she discovers the vaccinated can still catch, spread and die from Covid.

Zero Covid is a myth.

3 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Probably not for a very long time. Was reading this morning that the NZ PM is going to keep the borders shut until next year, so the entire population can be vaccinated. Going to be in for a nasty shock when she discovers the vaccinated can still catch, spread and die from Covid.

Zero Covid is a myth.

Zero covid isn't possible. But that doesn't mean the vaccine doesn't do a very good job. It does.

Not sure what all the Aussie/NZ criticism is about. Aren't they just trying to keep Covid cases as minimal as possible, until vaccines take up is at a level when a sufficent proportion of the country is safe from serious illness?

Any news of short lockdowns is jumped upon as evidence that they will be under martial law forever, even though our Aussie correspondents regularly post how their lives have been pretty non-impacted for the last 18 months.

Uk Covid death toll is 131k. Aus is 948 and NZ is 26. You can sort of see why they think it's a good idea to quick stop the spread of any outbreaks.

Had a message today from my brother who lives in Thailand (been there for over 25 years).  Huge issue with the roll out and administration of vaccines there (Google "asiasentinel" and "class division" for an interesting article*).  But he's finally getting his first jab tomorrow (AstraZeneca) which is mad considering he's 51. We don't appreciate how far ahead we are in this country. 

*let's just say he wasn't confident to provide me a direct link in case it's monitored from his end, so didn't want to replicate here albeit it's a public domain news article ?

6 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Unlikely yes, but impossible no

An interesting article by actual professor's in the BMJ

https://gh.bmj.com/content/6/8/e006810

I haven't read the article but something I read at the start of all this suggests that unlike say smallpox(?) it isn't possible to completely 'get rid' (sorry vocabulary is poor today) of a virus that also was spread by animals?

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I haven't read the article but something I read at the start of all this suggests that unlike say smallpox(?) it isn't possible to completely 'get rid' (sorry vocabulary is poor today) of a virus that also was spread by animals?

Yeah that is mentioned in the article - animal reservoirs. But the conclusion is - not impossible, worthwhile pursuing and more research needed