The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah I'm fully aware that the media sensationalise everything but if there are lockdowns and troops on the streets then that is not living life as normal

Life hasn’t been normal anywhere since March last year mate. I’m ready for whatever the new normal is, just bidding time till things open up totally, just glad how things here in SEQld have gone so far but ready if things turn to poo.  I’m living a 1000km away but what I’ve seen it’s a copper and a army dude together checking people in isolation as well as manning checkpoints and giving out masks. I know here there were army dudes in the hotel my daughter was doing her 14 day lockdown when she came home from OS last year.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah I'm fully aware that the media sensationalise everything but if there are lockdowns and troops on the streets then that is not living life as normal

And drones, don't forget drones!!!

Edited by maxjam

3 hours ago, Stagtime said:

As mentioned last time mate, I believe the strategy is fine it’s just the federal government seriously ducked up the supply of vaccinations. It is not so much vaccine hesitancy but we still haven’t got enough vaccines till next month. We are still in stage A- suppression stage with all going well we will hit stage D  which is treating COVID as a illness the same as the flu. Getting life back to normal?, we have had minimal restrictions here since COVID started the worst being we had to extend our holiday by a week in March. As a side note Qld population 5.2 million we have had 7 covid related deaths total so I will agree we would have more deaths from other causes, we most likely had more from animal attacks! Also up till now we’ve had  12 days total lockdowns so I believe our state has handled things pretty good. Everyone knows things will not be back to the old “normal”, it’s just trying to get to stage D which will be the “new normal”.

Although different states seems to have different rules now but it looks obvious the delta variant is taking off?

When you get the vaccine supply do you think folk will take it? Maybe the case load taking off will will encourage people to take the vaccine?

8 hours ago, rammieib said:

Although different states seems to have different rules now but it looks obvious the delta variant is taking off?

When you get the vaccine supply do you think folk will take it? Maybe the case load taking off will will encourage people to take the vaccine?

Ours seems to be back under control with the seven day lockdown finishing yesterday. The big difference was the 2 three day lockdowns we had previously the cases got back to zero where yesterday there was still 9 cases but they had been in quarantine the whole time. Not sure if it’s the same over there but the majority of the delta cases here were children linked to a karate class, the teacher is a student doctor working at a main hospital.

I believe you’ll find vaccinations rates will soar when they become available. Noticed Sydney will give exemptions to tradies from the western suburbs (around 80% of their tradies live out there) that have vaccinations so they can get back to work.

On a brighter note the PM’s ratings have tanked over the last week and with a election due early next year the libs will have to pull their fingers out to have any chance of another term.

It’s been interesting to see how things have gone over there with your vaccinations rates, gives a glimmer of hope that things might calm down shortly.

1 hour ago, Stagtime said:

Ours seems to be back under control with the seven day lockdown finishing yesterday. The big difference was the 2 three day lockdowns we had previously the cases got back to zero where yesterday there was still 9 cases but they had been in quarantine the whole time. Not sure if it’s the same over there but the majority of the delta cases here were children linked to a karate class, the teacher is a student doctor working at a main hospital.

I believe you’ll find vaccinations rates will soar when they become available. Noticed Sydney will give exemptions to tradies from the western suburbs (around 80% of their tradies live out there) that have vaccinations so they can get back to work.

On a brighter note the PM’s ratings have tanked over the last week and with a election due early next year the libs will have to pull their fingers out to have any chance of another term.

It’s been interesting to see how things have gone over there with your vaccinations rates, gives a glimmer of hope that things might calm down shortly.

We are slowing down a little on the vaccinations but the key is all those who need it have it.

Step by step we’re just getting on with life. Politicians are wasting energy with the will they, won’t they on vaccine passports and in my eyes, just trying to coerce younger people into taking it. I don’t see a court ever allowing them to be honest.

Still, I haven’t worn a mask since freedom day and neither have many others when I’ve been out. Went to an indoor play this morning, maybe 10% of parents were. Maybe 5% at the Derby game and that was mainly in the concourses.

Basically in a few months the only person who will be is Eddie.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

We are slowing down a little on the vaccinations but the key is all those who need it have it.

Step by step we’re just getting on with life. Politicians are wasting energy with the will they, won’t they on vaccine passports and in my eyes, just trying to coerce younger people into taking it. I don’t see a court ever allowing them to be honest.

Still, I haven’t worn a mask since freedom day and neither have many others when I’ve been out. Went to an indoor play this morning, maybe 10% of parents were. Maybe 5% at the Derby game and that was mainly in the concourses.

Hopefully another couple of months we’re at that stage but in saying that we’ve been spared the worst of things compared to Sydney and Melbourne. We still haven’t given up hope of flying over to the UK next Easter.

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

I made a quick trip to UK last week, I am not sure what will happen to allow airports and airlines to allow people to travel who are not fully vaxed.  If you want to make a stand against masks and vaxes that is not a place to try it currently

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/health/causes-death/provisional-mortality-statistics/latest-release

Meanwhile, much maligned Sweden has seen just 1.5% excess deaths, virtually 0 covid deaths recently and unlike Australia's impending recessions will see their economy grow this year.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/sweden-economy-growth-covid-pandemic-b1892860.html

Noticing less and less mask wearing now in super markets etc. Seems that people feeling less pressured into doing this.

The missus said, it depends on the super market ?. Went to Waitrose and it was 80/20 in favour of masks, went to Aldi and the exact opposite. Dunno what to make of that ?

4 hours ago, Spanish said:

I made a quick trip to UK last week, I am not sure what will happen to allow airports and airlines to allow people to travel who are not fully vaxed.  If you want to make a stand against masks and vaxes that is not a place to try it currently

Do you live in GIB? I used to do a lot of business there, love the place. 

15 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Noticing less and less mask wearing now in super markets etc. Seems that people feeling less pressured into doing this.

The missus said, it depends on the super market ?. Went to Waitrose and it was 80/20 in favour of masks, went to Aldi and the exact opposite. Dunno what to make of that ?

I'm generalising massively here, but there hasn't really been a lockdown for many people. There's been middle class people hiding in their houses whilst the working class deliver stuff to them.

Edited by Anon

1 minute ago, Anon said:

I'm generalising massively here, but there hasn't really been a lockdown for many people. There's been middle class people hiding in their houses whilst the working class deliver stuff to them.

True enough, but I'd like out of my house & garden now thanks!

19 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Do you live in GIB? I used to do a lot of business there, love the place. 

no, I work there, live in Spain.  Best of both worlds, work offshore during the day, live onshore at night and weekends.  Lived in 7 countries and this is by far the best choice even putting up with gun totting frontier guards?

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

True enough, but I'd like out of my house & garden now thanks!

I should clarify that I don't necessarily think it's wrong that things happened this way and I hate class warfare ********. I only mention this to highlight why I think we're seeing such different reactions to "opening up" from different sections of the population.

13 minutes ago, Anon said:

I should clarify that I don't necessarily think it's wrong that things happened this way and I hate class warfare ********. I only mention this to highlight why I think we're seeing such different reactions to "opening up" from different sections of the population.

I'm no longer 'a towny' and don't miss the delights of a city. I can only imagine how difficult the restrictions have been for lots of people, those having to be restricted at home and those having to work through them. Some people have definitely had it easier, but even I in my middle class enclave and now double-jabbed am heartily sick of the way this Govt is now handling things. 

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

I haven't noticed any changes yet since 19 July. Our local Tesco is still 90/10 in favour of masks.

Our Asda though is about 60/40 in favour of masks.

So my observations tend to back up yours... The demographic of the store has a big impact your chance of getting infected.

2 hours ago, Spanish said:

no, I work there, live in Spain.  Best of both worlds, work offshore during the day, live onshore at night and weekends.  Lived in 7 countries and this is by far the best choice even putting up with gun totting frontier guards?

Nice.. Spent a few years going backwards and forwards. Used to run a groupage service into GIB from the UK. 

The guy I worked with there loved it. Finish work for the day, out on his boat for the evening. Skiing just round the corner as well. Great seafood.