The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

What about the minority of people who, for whatever their reasons, do not wish to be vaccinated?

Will you be defending their rights to have an education and go about living their lives the way you have been able to live yours?

I'm about 99% sure I've never made any derogatory comments towards those who don't want to get vaccinated. I just hope they don't end up dying from Covid and regretting their lack of vaccination.

12 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

That was great. Here is my dcfc fans version. I expect a similar reply!

Gstar recruits the captain, but doesn't blame him for crashing straight into the iceberg as no one else could have directed any better, even though the captain had appointed a crew who had never been to sea previously.

Texas refuses to accept the ship is sinking as the violinists can still play with water up to their ankles. Sorry knees. Now thighs.

Archie knows the company have deliberately sunk the ship and the drowned captain was in on it ?‍♂️

Maxjam thinks that all people will be rounded up and marched onto boats that are then sunk.

to keep with Titanic theme... @GboroRam is arranging the deck chairs. I.e. Trying very hard to keep some form of order in The Covid thread

7 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I'm about 99% sure I've never made any derogatory comments towards those who don't want to get vaccinated. I just hope they don't end up dying from Covid and regretting their lack of vaccination.

Apparently quite a lot of people who get very ill in hospital with covid find themselves asking for the vaccine. 

Sadly, it's too late by then. 

8 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Ive never accused of doing so and don't think that you would. I was asking the question on whether ypu defend their right to live a normal life, the same sort of life that you have lived before Covid, if they do not get vaccinated?

Why is vaccination or death always the go to scenario? Millions of people were catching this virus pre vaccinations and only a minute percentage we’re getting seriously ill or dying. 

Don't worry about it @Eddie, almost everyone will continue to do this. 

Certainly not what Im seeing in the real world, a lot of people could not wait to disband their masks. 

And despite this and the end of social distancing cases continue to plummet.

Have any of the scientists who's opinions you are sure we should be listening to been able to explain this yet? I remember there were quite a few that were very quick to criticise the re-opening and predicting it would lead to the apocalypse, just wondered what they were saying now?

13 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Certainly not what Im seeing in the real world, a lot of people could not wait to disband their masks. 

Have any of the scientists who's opinions you are sure we should be listening to been able to explain this yet? I remember there were quite a few that were very quick to criticise the re-opening and predicting it would lead to the apocalypse, just wondered what they were saying now?

After 2days in Derby I can’t say that I have seen much consistency. Almost everybody wearing a mask in Sainsbury’s, 50% in Asda, 0 in intu.

the other thing about mask wearing is the ones who dont want tend to be the most vehemently committed to their views.  Mask wearers tend to keep their distances but the ones without appear to delight in getting too close.  Everybody should keep a safe distance but I don’t see that happening in the real world.  Just my experience of a few days in UK.

on another subject I spent more time getting all the correct forms completed than the flight time and more money on testing (some b.. must be making a fortune out of this) than I expected.  Talk about freedoms but international travel seems to exclude anybody who is not computer savvy.

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

After 2days in Derby I can’t say that I have seen much consistency. Almost everybody wearing a mask in Sainsbury’s, 50% in Asda, 0 in intu.

the other thing about mask wearing is the ones who dont want tend to be the most vehemently committed to their views.  Mask wearers tend to keep their distances but the ones without appear to delight in getting too close.  Everybody should keep a safe distance but I don’t see that happening in the real world.  Just my experience of a few days in UK.

on another subject I spent more time getting all the correct forms completed than the flight time and more money on testing (some b.. must be making a fortune out of this) than I expected.  Talk about freedoms but international travel seems to exclude anybody who is not computer savvy.

That's even better news then.

If the non mask wearers are taking delight in getting close to people and the cases are plummeting then thats a reason to rejoice.

Also makes me wonder what role, if any, mask wearing actually plays in reducing the spread.

15 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

And if they choose not to and instead suggest that if you are so worried then stay more than 2 metres away from them?

Well, that's already happening, because a (thankfully very small) minority of people are obnoxious, boorish, thick scum with no respect for others.

It's not about being 'worried'. You and @Archied are perpetually implying that I am cowering in my cellar with my hypocritically-purchased Belgian beer. I'm not. I'm going about my life, being respectful of others, and would appreciate it very much if others do the same. Most of the time that is the case, some of the time it isn't, unfortunately. It's not a lot to ask for really, is it?

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Well, that's already happening, because a (thankfully very small) minority of people are obnoxious, boorish, thick scum with no respect for others.

It's not about being 'worried'. You and @Archied are perpetually implying that I am cowering in my cellar with my hypocritically-purchased Belgian beer. I'm not. I'm going about my life, being respectful of others, and would appreciate it very much if others do the same. Most of the time that is the case, some of the time it isn't, unfortunately. It's not a lot to ask for really, is it?

No, I totally agree with you. Dont think I've ever accused you of cowering, know you have been on holiday so that what hardly suggest you've locked yourself away.

I'm more against the way you speak against people with a different view to you and tar them with the same 'selfish covidiot' brush.

I've not worn a mask since 'freedom day' but I always try and assess the situation I am in.

In town on Saturday night nobody was wearing a mask so I went about my normal business in the normal manner.

If I'm in a supermarket and lots of people are wearing masks I will do my best to be respectful and keep my distance.

That's all I have asked for since I first turned against the idea of lockdowns, the right to be able to exercise my own personal responsibility, I dont neee the Government to tell me what is and what isn't safe for me to do, or how to treat other people with respect. 

And anyway, I thought, unless someone was coughing in your face, you're unlikely to catch the virus from someone unless you've been in close contact for 15 minutes or more?

I'd be interested to hear your views on masks and social distancing both being scrapped or, at least, very heavily curtailed and positive infections plummeting?

36 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

The answer is in the next line.

More inside social contact = more chance of infection. I would have thought people would know that by now.

So in answer to the question...yes lockdowns, unless complete lockdowns, will contribute to a rise in cases.

34 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So in answer to the question...yes lockdowns, unless complete lockdowns, will contribute to a rise in cases.

Oh OK, we're playing the game again where you pretend you don't understand stuff.

The virus, in fact any virus will spread easier indoors. In the autumn, more people will be indoors more of the time = potential for more spread.

Not sure why you're making the jump to lockdowns

3 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Oh OK, we're playing the game again where you pretend you don't understand stuff.

The virus, in fact any virus will spread easier indoors. In the autumn, more people will be indoors more of the time = potential for more spread.

Not sure why you're making the jump to lockdowns

No not playing any game, I asked a question and I thought it would just get a yes or no answer.

In the winter we were in lockdown, social distancing and wearing masks and cases were through the roof.

In the summer we are out of lockdown, no social distancing, mask wearing reduced and cases are plummeting. 

You can see why some may be sceptical of the opinion that lockdown, social distancing and mask wearing definitely lead to a reduction in transmission. 

Or maybe I am just interpreting the data incorrectly. 

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

No not playing any game, I asked a question and I thought it would just get a yes or no answer.

In the winter we were in lockdown, social distancing and wearing masks and cases were through the roof.

In the summer we are out of lockdown, no social distancing, mask wearing reduced and cases are plummeting. 

You can see why some may be sceptical of the opinion that lockdown, social distancing and mask wearing definitely lead to a reduction in transmission. 

Or maybe I am just interpreting the data incorrectly. 

Compared to no rules, restrictions do lead to a reduction in cases. The graphs show that & I'm not sure how it can be an opinion that it doesn't, faced with the evidence. An infected person is quite likely to go home and spread it to their "locked down" household but with less opportunity to spread it to other households due to the restrictions in place, cases fall.

The winter lockdown was in response to the rise in cases last autumn, with the biggest numbers coming after the relaxation over Christmas. Cases then fell.

Cases are plummeting now due to the now almost herd immunity brought about mostly by the vaccines (ONS now saying 93% have Covid antibodies), along with more social interaction being outdoors and indoors with windows open in summer. Most people (in my experience) are also still keeping more socially distant than they would normally do and many are still wearing masks, at least some of the time.

13 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Compared to no rules, restrictions do lead to a reduction in cases. The graphs show that & I'm not sure how it can be an opinion that it doesn't, faced with the evidence. An infected person is quite likely to go home and spread it to their "locked down" household but with less opportunity to spread it to other households due to the restrictions in place, cases fall.

There are people on here that don't agree with this and genuinely think that lockdowns do not help to bring down cases. 

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

It's great news cases haven't continued to rise, hopefully we are approaching herd immunity now.

We are still at 20k cases a day though, so still a bit of time to go yet until we get back to the small number of cases we had before Johnson tried to impress Modi.