Louie Sibley

Heisenberg

1 hour ago, angieram said:

But I don't want to see him on the wing I want to see us play through midfield with some attacking intent. It says more about the way we are set up than anything, no place for an attacking midfielder in our team! 

And as for him not showing it in training, I am sure the current players aren't being coached to be so negative on the pitch but they keep doing it and aren't being dropped.

Personally I would like us to take the hand brake off and start playing to win. This solid defensive approach is hardly working lately and you can just see the confidence draining out of all the players, not just Louie.

Spot on non of our midfield 3 are playing well at the moment and at least with Sibley playing we will have a midfielder who’s 1st instinct is to be direct and run at players not take the safe option.

2 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

I'm not sure whether its the management destroying his confidence; he's hardly been playing that well this season and nothing about his performances have demanded that he plays. Rooney will see whether on the training ground he is doing what he's being asked to do, and the answer is presumably not because let's face it, the midfield isn't really functioning atm and Rooney is happy to make changes so there's always places up for grabs.

You might as well start him on Wednesday given our lack of attacking guile or threat of late. Rooney has intimated it's his lack of discipline that's the reason he's fallen out of favour but seeing as the whole team is lacking discipline at the moment he's hardly alone. 

Quite like the idea of a diamond midfield with him at the tip and Shinnie at the base, and then two of Waghorn, Joswiak and Roberts, with CKR and Gregory up front. But that might well negate Byrne, who's our best crosser of a ball, and whoever is playing left FB.

Also it depends on whether Rooney wants to play Watson - I can't see both getting the nod. 

Started in 2 of the opening 3 defeats at the start of the season. Dropped completely following the Blackburn thrashing and seemed to be the one of the players to get a heap of the blame for that despite all 4 goals coming from defensive errors.

Then it took until Rooney's first game as manager (Wycombe) for him to start another game, playing in a very defensive lineup (Wisdom and Fozzy fullbacks, Evans at DM, Holmes on the wing). He was dropped from the starting lineup again following that.

He eventually returned to the starting lineup over a month later - the 4-0 thrashing vs Birmingham. He was one of the best players that day and if it wasn't for rustiness (having rarely played all season) he could have come home with a hattrick rather than no goals. Started the next game against Sheff Weds and certainly wasn't the only bad player that day, yet only he and Fozzy were dropped for the next league game.

Only given 2 consecutive starts all season!

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Started in 2 of the opening 3 defeats at the start of the season. Dropped completely following the Blackburn thrashing and seemed to be the one of the players to get a heap of the blame for that despite all 4 goals coming from defensive errors.

Then it took until Rooney's first game as manager (Wycombe) for him to start another game, playing in a very defensive lineup (Wisdom and Fozzy fullbacks, Evans at DM, Holmes on the wing). He was dropped from the starting lineup again following that.

He eventually returned to the starting lineup over a month later - the 4-0 thrashing vs Birmingham. He was one of the best players that day and if it wasn't for rustiness (having rarely played all season) he could have come home with a hattrick rather than no goals. Started the next game against Sheff Weds and certainly wasn't the only bad player that day, yet only he and Fozzy were dropped for the next league game.

Excellent post. Sibley has had a poor deal , though admittedly it might be his discipline that has cost him. He has great skill and thinking back to the way he linked up play with Chris Martin last season, surely he has something to offer us now. 

Rooney is making far too many changes in team selection match to match and as you point out the " only 2 consecutive starts " is a very telling stat.

4 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Excellent post. Sibley has had a poor deal , though admittedly it might be his discipline that has cost him. He has great skill and thinking back to the way he linked up play with Chris Martin last season, surely he has something to offer us now. 

Rooney is making far too many changes in team selection match to match and as you point out the " only 2 consecutive starts " is a very telling stat.

You make a good point too that CM used to provide first time passes which allowed Sibley time and space to gain momentum in his runs. 

2 minutes ago, DRBee said:

He's had 1 wrongful (straight) red card in the first team and two for the U23s for 2nd yellows).

Let him play his game and if it looks like there's a chance he could pick up a 2nd yellow then bring him off. If he accumulates 5/10/15 yellows and misses a few games then its nothing lost anyway. I don't think it's down to discipline, but where the fouls are committed - it doesn't matter too much if it's high up the pitch when applying pressure, but it does matter if they can get a decent ball into the box from it.

Defensive stats per 90
Tackles - only Watson and Lawrence tackle more often out of our attacking players
Dribbled past - less often than Knight, Roberts, Watson (out of our attacking players)
Interceptions - lowest in the squad
Fouls - Highest in the squad (considerably)
Cards - Highest

Clearances - only Jozwiak is lower
Blocks (Shots/crosses/passes) - Only Lawrence and Waghorn are higher (out of our attacking players)

Thinking about this more, I think we need Lawrence in the team to make it work. He'll drift inside and actually link play, something the likes of Jozwiak, Roberts and Waghorn don't do often enough from the wings.
I mentioned in another thread how Lawrence would have 60 touches on the ball when playing on the wing. The others (including Sibley) are the sorts to only get 30. If we play 3 of them in a 4231, then we'd end up with the defence passing it sideways too much.

55 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He's had 1 wrongful (straight) red card in the first team and two for the U23s for 2nd yellows).

Let him play his game and if it looks like there's a chance he could pick up a 2nd yellow then bring him off. If he accumulates 5/10/15 yellows and misses a few games then its nothing lost anyway. I don't think it's down to discipline, but where the fouls are committed - it doesn't matter too much if it's high up the pitch when applying pressure, but it does matter if they can get a decent ball into the box from it.

Defensive stats per 90
Tackles - only Watson and Lawrence tackle more often out of our attacking players
Dribbled past - less often than Knight, Roberts, Watson (out of our attacking players)
Interceptions - lowest in the squad
Fouls - Highest in the squad (considerably)
Cards - Highest

Clearances - only Jozwiak is lower
Blocks (Shots/crosses/passes) - Only Lawrence and Waghorn are higher (out of our attacking players)

Emi Buendi is a red card waiting to happen most week for Norwich but the carrot crunchers play him every game with him they can ,  look half the side they are without him 

6 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Emi Buendi is a red card waiting to happen most week for Norwich but the carrot crunchers play him every game with him they can ,  look half the side they are without him 

I've also mentioned touches on the ball. Sibley, Waghorn, Roberts, Jozwiak (likely contenders for the 3 in a 4231) rarely reach 30 during 90 minutes. Playing 3 all at the same time therefore affects our overall play and why we need someone like Lawrence (60 in a game) to offer more balance. 

For comparison, Buendia touched the ball 89 times at the weekend and 55 times against Brentford.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Which kind of backs up my point, when he is playing he clearly isn't doing what Rooney is asking of him (whatever that might be) or making a big enough impression in training, or he wouldn't keep on getting dropped at a time when we're crying out for some forward drive. 

I'm all for Sibley getting more game time, but there is a reason he isn't and I don't think just blaming the manager (if that's your point) is fair. We are ripe for players coming in and making an impression, so it's up to him to do so.

He hasn't been that good but neither have our other attacking players. I haven't got a clue why he doesn't get more of an opportunity. Surely it can't just be down to discipline. At least he drives forward with the ball and buzzes around the pitch when he plays unlike some others. 

Would like to see him given a fair run of games allowing him the chance to stake his claim as a 10 alongside CKR or LG.

Ive a feeling we will regret it in the long run if we don’t at least give him an opportunity. 

I know we’ve tried the young uns together already but I would like to see

Marshall

Byrne   Clarke  Edmundson  Buchanan 

Roberts     Knight   Bird      Jozwiak

Sibley

CKR/ Gregory

We could then give Sibley the opportunity to grab that number 10 slot whilst knowing that Louie Watson is pushing for that spot, good old competition for places. 

There seems to be something hold back Sibley from playing his natural game, when given a chance he sometimes appears to feel as though he needs to be overly aggressive which leads to yellow cards and this puts doubts into Rooney's mind, whether he can he trusted. He always appears on the edge of being easily provoked on the pitch or liable to do some thing silly. 

He needs to stay calm control his emotions and show his undoubted class and skill and become the player we all know he should become. 

Some of our players will play their entire careers going sideways, and backwards, and boring everybody shitless. 
Sibley goes for the jugular. He picks up the ball and heads straight for the goal. He gets his shots off. He scares defenders. He is one of those players like David Speedie or Craig Bellamy who play on the edge. So be it. Carry on son. 

8 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Would like to see him given a fair run of games allowing him the chance to stake his claim as a 10 alongside CKR or LG.

Ive a feeling we will regret it in the long run if we don’t at least give him an opportunity. 

I know we’ve tried the young uns together already but I would like to see

Marshall

Byrne   Clarke  Edmundson  Buchanan 

Roberts     Knight   Bird      Jozwiak

Sibley

CKR/ Gregory

We could then give Sibley the opportunity to grab that number 10 slot whilst knowing that Louie Watson is pushing for that spot, good old competition for places. 

Exactly. Our issue is creativity and getting the ball forward quickly. Lack of goals could still be our downfall this season. Imagine this team needing to add to goal difference to stay up. No point saying he's off-form when he's either played out of position or given a few minutes here and there. His number of cards could stem from rare chances to play and hence trying too hard. He certainly wouldnt be the only one to give away free kicks in this team. I cant see who other than Watson as you say may give us that spark going forward. Would like nothing more than a proper Ram to be doing it for us on the pitch. If he is sold it will be like Will again for me especially if he goes before being given a chance.