Louie Sibley

Heisenberg

1 minute ago, David said:

Of course it is, but with this being a discussion forum when you post your opinions, others may choose to disagree with you. Just how it goes. 

Of course.  My answers were short as I was on daily walk to try and keep fit lol .

Sibley has a talent of running with the ball and getting shots off occasionally.

His end product is often not as good as it should be  

He often miscontrols the ball which leads to him diving in and fouling and getting booked or sent off .

He needs to look up more and see his team mates and he also needs a position in the team  

I don’t see where he fits in to the team and neither I suspect does Rooney one did Cocu although he gave him chances  

Don’t forget I’ve watched the U23s games a lot which is light years away from Championship football and he does ok but not always  

People need to tell me who he is better than in the present team and who he replaces and in what position.

Yes he did do well when Cocu gave him a chance last season for a short period but he has regressed since then .

I know Tom Lawrence is injured but boy have we missed him IMO and I know that is contentious for some .

People tell me where does Rooney fit Sibley in because he’s not an impact player off the bench 

14 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Can he score though?

Watch Mbappe

That’s facetious.

I was using Mahrez as an example of perfect control of a football a bit Rooneyesc 

As for the Mbappe well he’s probably the best striker in the world. 

Edited by Curtains

3 minutes ago, Curtains said:

That’s facetious.

I was using Mahrez as an example of perfect control of a football a bit Rooneyesc 

As for the Mbappe well he’s probably the best striker in the world. 

Just pointing out how bonkers it is to try and put Sibley down by comparing him with 1 of the top players in world football. 

To answer your question, 'People need to tell me who he is better than in the present team and who he replaces and in what position.' 

Who he is better than is all down to people's opinions. I personally think he is a more talented footballer than Waghorn has displayed in recent times but due to our lack of goals and the importance set pieces now have for us, Waghorn is needed because he's probably the best set piece taker we have. And now we've moved to 4-4-2 I think the only two positions he could really fill are Waghorn's right hand wing spot or alongside CKR. He doesn't offer enough defensively for a 2 man central midfield so unless Rooney decides to revert to 3 in the middle I think that spot isn't viable. 

In senior Championship appearances Sibley has 5 goals in 28 games and that includes 14 of which were from the bench. Waghorn, Lawrence and Jozwiak have got 3 in 57 between them this season (12 of them were off the bench). I don't think it's completely unreasonable that so many of us Derby fans are wanting and hoping Sibley gets more of a chance when our current creative and attacking players have been so poor this season. 

Sibley has talent, no doubt but he isn't consistent enough. That said the lad is only 19 with a handful of games under his belt. There are times throughout his career where he will have dips of form, I'm sure he is still ahead of schedule to where he thought he would be at this stage.

We are in great form at the moment, his time will come, up to him to snatch it when he does and show he deserves a place in starting 11...same as any other player really.

2 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Just pointing out how bonkers it is to try and put Sibley down by comparing him with 1 of the top players in world football. 

To answer your question, 'People need to tell me who he is better than in the present team and who he replaces and in what position.' 

Who he is better than is all down to people's opinions. I personally think he is a more talented footballer than Waghorn has displayed in recent times but due to our lack of goals and the importance set pieces now have for us, Waghorn is needed because he's probably the best set piece taker we have. And now we've moved to 4-4-2 I think the only two positions he could really fill are Waghorn's right hand wing spot or alongside CKR. He doesn't offer enough defensively for a 2 man central midfield so unless Rooney decides to revert to 3 in the middle I think that spot isn't viable. 

In senior Championship appearances Sibley has 5 goals in 28 games and that includes 14 of which were from the bench. Waghorn, Lawrence and Jozwiak have got 3 in 57 between them this season (12 of them were off the bench). I don't think it's completely unreasonable that so many of us Derby fans are wanting and hoping Sibley gets more of a chance when our current creative and attacking players have been so poor this season. 

I want him to get a chance but not at the expense of the team .

I think you need to check the players you quoted careers before you compare them with Sibley 

It looks like I’m criticizing Sibley but it’s the way I see it at the moment and I’m certainly not writing him off and I hope he Rams my words down my throat.

People don’t seem to have a problem criticizing other players like Waghorn and Lawrence do they .

You make good points particularly about yellow cards and yes I do understand that Lawrence and Waghorn have also digressed and got sent off etc  

Ultimately it’s about what Rooney and Rosenior think and to some extent McClaren I would suggest.

When Derby are safe from relegation I’m all for giving players the chance  

Plenty are willing to have a go at Lawrence and Waghorn and other players but 

The issue I have with Sibley is that, from what I’ve seen (I have watched most of the U23 games for the past couple of seasons and pretty much all of the first team games) he has a terrible first touch. 

For all of his dribbling ability, the first touch when the ball comes to him very often bounces off him and he has to make a dangerous lunge to try and win it back.

Without analysing videos of all his fouls, I’ll wager a fair few come from this moment where he’s desperate (probably frustrated) to win the ball back.

It’s ridiculous for me to say it, cos he’s light years ahead of me as a player, but anyone with a keen eye can see that, unless he can learn to cushion a ball in the frenetic pace of the Championship, he’s going to struggle to get to the next level.

29 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

The issue I have with Sibley is that, from what I’ve seen (I have watched most of the U23 games for the past couple of seasons and pretty much all of the first team games) he has a terrible first touch. 

For all of his dribbling ability, the first touch when the ball comes to him very often bounces off him and he has to make a dangerous lunge to try and win it back.

Without analysing videos of all his fouls, I’ll wager a fair few come from this moment where he’s desperate (probably frustrated) to win the ball back.

It’s ridiculous for me to say it, cos he’s light years ahead of me as a player, but anyone with a keen eye can see that, unless he can learn to cushion a ball in the frenetic pace of the Championship, he’s going to struggle to get to the next level.

This is something  he needs to work on.  I think that’s what I was saying.

You say it better

Edited by Curtains

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

THe had one good game against Millwall 

That propelled him to a super player status with some fans 

He scored a hattrick at a younger age than Messi or Ronaldo... Show me any set of fans that wouldn't treat their youngsters as such?

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Sibley or Mbappe

I think this shows you've not really got a clue. 1 is a local lad playing for the team he supports and has recently broke through with only a handful of starts. The other is regarded as one of the biggest phenomenons in world football along with Erling Braut Haaland... Of course Sibley's not at Mbappe's level yet; he's played 100+ games less and is 3 years younger to start with. Sibley will likely never reach Mbappe's level, but anyone who tries to use such an irrelevant comparison doesn't know much about football. It's that simple. 

8 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

He scored a hattrick at a younger age than Messi or Ronaldo... Show me any set of fans that wouldn't treat their youngsters as such?

I think this shows you've not really got a clue. 1 is a local lad playing for the team he supports and has recently broke through with only a handful of starts. The other is regarded as one of the biggest phenomenons in world football along with Erling Braut Haaland... Of course Sibley's not at Mbappe's level yet; he's played 100+ games less and is 3 years younger to start with. Sibley will likely never reach Mbappe's level, but anyone who tries to use such an irrelevant comparison doesn't know much about football. It's that simple. 

Well it wasn’t my comparison.  

Did you miss that.  

Now who hasn’t got a clue 

39 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

He’s just got the rashness of youth. He is desperate to get back to the days of hero worship. Who wouldn’t be at 19? 

But because he’s such a man in a hurry, every time he wants the ball, he’s thinking about what he’s going to do next. So his attention lapses and he doesn’t do the basics of getting the ball under control to do whatever comes next.

You’re right that he then lunges into tackles and referees will always have whistle in mouth and one hand on a card when he does so.

I just think he needs a friendly arm round the shoulder and to know that if he takes it down a notch, he can become a more effective member of the team. Use all of that energy to support teammates then utilise the give and go to make chances for himself. He will be a major force if he can do so.

8 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Well it wasn’t my comparison.  

Did you miss that.  

Now who hasn’t got a clue 

Still you ? imagine trying to wriggle out like that

You endorsed the comparison, i never explicitly stated you were the first to voice it... ? You're like a dog with a bone most of the time, it's fine to not rate Sibley but i swear you have to post 50+ times every time you have a negative opinion on something

I think part of the reason we haven’t seen Sibbo is, as someone said - the red card waiting to happen, I suppose that could be said about Waggy but Waggy knows it and knows he has to curb it. I am not sure Sibbo with the enthusiasm of youth has that self knowledge. You might risk him if we were in a more comfortable position .. A couple more wins for the team and if he is grafting with the U23’s then he might get a go. Just a little time and patience from us and Louis .. all will be well, there’s a good football player under construction. I reckon we will know in a year or two if he is another Mason Bennett or grows to be a championship Paul Scholes. 

Just now, YorkshireRam said:

Still you ? imagine trying to wriggle out like that

You endorsed the comparison, i never explicitly stated you were the first to voice it... ? You're like a dog with a bone most of the time, it's fine to not rate Sibley but i swear you have to post 50+ times every time you have a negative opinion on something

Maybe you have a vested interest right. 

2 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Maybe you have a vested interest right. 

Is that supposed to be a question? ?

Just irks me to see uninformed negativity. You compared Sibley to Mahrez and Mbappe, 2 players with a combined value of over £200m! Using that to try and substantiate your point about not rating Sibley I just find very crass

You should be referring to more relevant comparisons like Adam Idah at Norwich (scored a hattrick in the FA Cup)