Frank Lampard

Day

Talking to other fans, I think it’s fair to say Frank and most of the Chelsea players from that era are seen a bit marmite. Great players, maybe a bit under rated in truth, but they all had bit of arrogance but not enough character to get away with it (aside Drogba maybe).

I think also if you look at Terry and Lampard especially, their attitudes have always been ‘nothing else matters but Chelsea’ and it’s always followed them around. Did England matter as much, and how much did that Chelsea clique disrupt the ‘golden generation’? No matter what job he gets now, like with Derby and Everton, it’s about proving he’s good enough for the one job he wants.

From a Derby perspective, I think there’s a few things to consider. Firstly in hindsight, he was a bad appointment. Not from the memories of the season itself, they take some beating, but MM needed promotion that season to keep away any FFP judgements from the EFL (even just in the short term) and to rebalance his own chequebook. To do this he appointed a rookie manager, one with contacts but still a rookie, and that was because Harry Redknapp got hold of Morris’ ear at the opportune time. The other thing is once his season was over then what would’ve happened if he stayed? Presumably MM would’ve started making cutbacks, so that chequebook wouldn’t stretch as far. It’s hard to say, but we couldn’t invest to improve what we had in Lampard’s season so I think it would have been more of a slog without those moments of brilliance. 

Secondly, I don’t think Lampard really took to the area and fans, unlike Jody Morris who did. That’s fine, some players and managers come here and embrace it and others don’t, but I don’t think he envisioned calling Derby home for a few seasons to learn his trade. It’s similar to my point about the Chelsea players I guess, but living here isn’t that big city lifestyle that you have in that London and if you’re a Londoner you probably like it down there. I don’t get it personally, but each to their own. 

• 1 month later...

Boehly didn't sack Lampard previously so doesn't look a completely crazy move to see the season out.

Frank will obviously see it as a great opportunity to put his hat in the ring, the club he loves and a much stronger squad than he inherited last time.

Good old Chelsea and their plastics.  We were beating Real Madrid and getting to the Semi Finals a long time before you kicked a ball in this competition.   We also had more league titles than you for the first 100 years of your existence. Anyone remember Chelsea playing in a stadium that made Birminghams look state of the art in the middle of Division 2. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Gee SCREAMER !!

16 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Hope they do brilliantly for him then keep him dangling for the permanent job into the summer while the Chelsea board are on their holidays then appoint someone else. The end of his reign (other than compensation) left a nasty taste. 

They could give him a copy of Combat Rock by The Clash as a parting gift as they heard it was a favourite of his.