Frank Lampard

Day

12 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

All true, but then there's that Leeds away leg. The Clough era was before my time and that night still rates as one of the best of my life as a Rams fan, despite the ultimate outcome.

In my defence, I actually thought Rowett was OK too and you can't help how you feel, can you? I've no loyalty to him as such, as he showed none to us, but I don't wish him failure either. I'm just not fussed if that's his fate. Feels like ancient history now in any case and it's not something I waste any time thinking about.

Did he get lucky with injury forcing his hand at Leeds ? , I wanted him at derby the minute he was mentioned, thought he underperformed whilst being lauded to the hills for how well he was doing at little old derby ( perhaps not his fault) , he came in as the ultimate badge kisser and ended his time with us early and disrespectfully ( again just my take ) ,

arrogant and ran before he could walk , I enjoy seeing him being exposed but only on the basis he’s not on the breadline and the only thing being hurt is his pride ??‍♂️

Edited by Archied

3 hours ago, Archied said:

Did he get lucky with injury forcing his hand at Leeds ? , I wanted him at derby the minute he was mentioned, thought he underperformed whilst being lauded to the hills for how well he was doing at little old derby ( perhaps not his fault) , he came in as the ultimate badge kisser and ended his time with us early and disrespectfully ( again just my take ) ,

arrogant and ran before he could walk , I enjoy seeing him being exposed but only on the basis he’s not on the breadline and the only thing being hurt is his pride ??‍♂️

Wouldn't disagree, though I'm not too fussed about seeing him embarrassed. It was the manner in which he left that stung a little more than the fact that he did, but as I said, it's not really something I dwell on, especially given what the club nad us fans have been through since.

3 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Gone apparently.

Manchester Evening News reckons that Rooney will be his replacement. 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/next-everton-manager-odds-rooney-26048339

At least that speech to the DC Utd dressing room about not wanting to see 'us' down at the bottom again will come true.  If it happens.

Lampard to Rooney = Frying Pan to Fire.

Rooney did an OK job for part of last season when he managed to make the most of the siege mentality and feelings of being hard done to and got us believing we could get out of the mess.  But once we got that sniff, we faded away.  
Not pulling trees up in America and managing another struggling team without any clear sign of getting them out of trouble (unless things have changed recently and I’ve missed it).

So question is, apart from his name, what justifies his name being linked with Everton? Nothing at all. And there is nothing in his CV that suggests he could get them out of the mess.  

Still, matters not a jot to me what Everton do… but would like them to come down to burst that entitlement bubble there fans have.

Edited by LazloW

20 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Lampard to Rooney = Frying Pan to Fire.

Rooney did an OK job for part of last season when he managed to make the most of the siege mentality and feelings of being hard done to and got us believing we could get out of the mess.  But once we got that sniff, we faded away.  
Not pulling trees up in America and managing another struggling team without any clear sign of getting them out of trouble (unless things have changed recently and I’ve missed it).

So question is, apart from his name, what justifies his name being linked with Everton? Nothing at all. And there is nothing in his CV that suggests he could get them out of the mess.  

Still, matters not a jot to me what Everton do… but would like them to come down to burst that entitlement bubble there fans have.

Pretty much agree with all that.

I enjoyed Lampard's season at Derby but as a lot of us felt at the time, his decision to go to Chelsea was a huge risk at that stage of his managerial career. He's suffered for it now. Subsequent events support the old adage that great players do not automatically qualify to become great managers as history has shown. I think Lampard suffers from a shortfall in motivational skills; like Bryan Robson before him his head goes down when results aren't going his way. He looks to players to meet his own high playing standards but few are equipped to do that. I think he was wrong to part with Jody Morris who seemed to provide a good interface to the players. I think eventually Rooney will exceed Lampard as a manager as he has more natural managerial qualities but going to Everton in their toxic turmoil, most managers will be on a hiding to nothing. Rooney should go and give it a bash at a stable Championship club first to establish his credentials. I never have understood the leap back to Washington if he is looking for development.

I hope we are playing Everton next season.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

38 minutes ago, David said:

Rooney would be best staying clear until they have new owners in place, last thing he needs to do is take on another club thats in turmoil.

Based on Rooney's performance in Washington I suspect Everton are best steering clear of him as well.

After watching us for the first few games under Rosenior I am totally convinced that Liam was doing most if not all of the coaching. Rooney was a great face for the brand and a figure to rally around, but when it comes down to being out on the grass and shaping a team I strongly suspect he needs an awful lot of help.

On 21/01/2023 at 20:12, 86 Hair Islands said:

All true, but then there's that Leeds away leg. The Clough era was before my time and that night still rates as one of the best of my life as a Rams fan, despite the ultimate outcome.

In my defence, I actually thought Rowett was OK too and you can't help how you feel, can you? I've no loyalty to him as such, as he showed none to us, but I don't wish him failure either. I'm just not fussed if that's his fate. Feels like ancient history now in any case and it's not something I waste any time thinking about.

On 21/01/2023 at 21:59, LazloW said:

Go Away GIF  

?

Gary Rowett is the most underrated manager we've had since Billy!

30 minutes ago, LazloW said:

... So question is, apart from his name, what justifies his name being linked with Everton? Nothing at all...

Well, there's the city of his birth.
The club he supported as a mucky kid.
His 6 year youth (playing) career.
His FA Youth Cup Final goal, where he revealed his "Once a blue, always a blue" tee shirt.
Becoming Everton's second youngest first team starter, and their all time youngest first team goal scorer (*At the time).
Becoming the youngest Prem scorer (*At the time) whilst wearing an Everton shirt.
"That" goal that put a stop to Arsenal's 30 match unbeaten run, (plus others), and the onset of his pro career.
His return as a playing messiah, and "That" goal from his own half, v west ham.

Don't get me wrong, I'd agree with those who opine that he'd be foolish to go back there now, as things stand... but to say there are no links between Wayne Rooney and Everton FC are equally as foolish... in my opinion.  

5 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Well, there's the city of his birth.
The club he supported as a mucky kid.
His 6 year youth (playing) career.
His FA Youth Cup Final goal, where he revealed his "Once a blue, always a blue" tee shirt.
Becoming Everton's second youngest first team starter, and their all time youngest first team goal scorer (*At the time).
Becoming the youngest Prem scorer (*At the time) whilst wearing an Everton shirt.
"That" goal that put a stop to Arsenal's 30 match unbeaten run, (plus others), and the onset of his pro career.
His return as a playing messiah, and "That" goal from his own half, v west ham.

Don't get me wrong, I'd agree with those who opine that he'd be foolish to go back there now, as things stand... but to say there are no links between Wayne Rooney and Everton FC are equally as foolish... in my opinion.  

Don't forget that there was also a newspaper(?) interview where he revealed he slept in Everton jim-jams! ?

Edited by RoyMac5