Frank Lampard

Day

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Archied said:

What a day ,, derby win 5-0 and lampard replacement gets a win against top of the prem arsenal,, worth ringing frankie to let him know Morecambe might be in the market for a manager?

But would Morecambe take him? His stock is pretty low at the moment!! A busted flush who got ideas above his station way too soon. 

Dyche pre match today on BT Sport, was careful not to throw Lampard under the bus, spoke how the players respected him and know they should have given him more.

Still don’t get the hate, not sure I ever will but won’t lose any sleep over it.

As @Rev said, needs to pick his next job carefully. I respect the fact he couldn’t turn Chelsea down, Everton though turned out to be a real basket case club. Really feel for the guy and still wish him all the best.

3 minutes ago, David said:

Dyche pre match today on BT Sport, was careful not to throw Lampard under the bus, spoke how the players respected him and know they should have given him more.

Still don’t get the hate, not sure I ever will but won’t lose any sleep over it.

As @Rev said, needs to pick his next job carefully. I respect the fact he couldn’t turn Chelsea down, Everton though turned out to be a real basket case club. Really feel for the guy and still wish him all the best.

My wife has a theory that he's a proper old school kind of manager.

Great at building an atmosphere around a group, less adept when it comes to the finer details tactically.

I'd like to see him go abroad, take a lower rated side, like McClaren with FC Twente, and see what he can build without the pressure of past success upon him. 

I guess it just comes down to how much desire he still has to be a manager, punditry would be the easier option.

9 hours ago, David said:

Not hate , obviously the way he left and few other bits irk ( I like Jodie and wish him well) , 

for me the bit that irritates is everyone in the media and you do the same above making excuses for him , bigging him up when he has done nothing , to listen to the media he came in and did a fantastic job taking little old derby out of the wilderness and into the play offs , he had 3 top quality loans , spent a fortune on players and went one game further than rowett the season before and we were competing or in play off for a few seasons before ,,

Chelsea he was crap tommy t won the champions league with the players frankie had in disarray and sinking like a stone 

everton he was crapper but there’s always an excuse , never the fault of darling frankie??‍♂️

Edited by Archied

9 hours ago, David said:

Mine’s not ‘hate’ just don’t get the management career path he chose. A virtual lifetime in the game, his families history in the game, he must have had all the advice & support imaginable yet he believed one season at Derby qualified him as a premier league manager. If he is\was serious about a long term career as a top flight football manager then, in my opinion, he’s gone a funny way about it. I was taken in by the hype surrounding his time at Derby and enjoyed the ride up until he announced his line up for the play off final!! Thought he could have handled his leaving better, it left a bit of a sour taste, and led me to conclude that there was a little arrogance in his decision making. Hence why I think he has tried to run before he could walk. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but he needed to serve a longer apprenticeship as a manager before believing he was ready for the top table. 

He's a poster boy for football, Speaks well with a little honesty...nowt else, If there is another job lined up in football management the owner may want to visit the chemist as he's obviously forgotten to take his medication.

There's a reason Dyche got a performance that Lampard couldn't get from these players...his style of management didn't sit well with them...but his bank manager will be pleased.

1 hour ago, 1977 Ram Raider said:

Chelsea shouldn’t have approached him after one season in the champ.

Get that.

Chelsea couldn’t spend remember, so whilst you’re right, they probably thought at that time, he was the right person, dressing room legend, had Jody who had worked with half the kids coming through and rolled the dice on the fairytale.

He couldn’t resist either. What peeved many here, was the fannying around, when all knew it was likely. Sure we got good compensation but it pretty much gave Cocu no pre season planning and a real bum hand given we had lost the good loans. Not Franks fault, but I reckon that’s the sour taste for many.

I think that's the Lampard way, each time he has joined a club it always takes longer than it should.

I remember him being on the brink of joining us for a week or so before it was actually confirmed and it was the same at Chelsea and Everton. I guess he likes to make sure that everything is watertight before commiting.

33 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I think that's the Lampard way, each time he has joined a club it always takes longer than it should.

I remember him being on the brink of joining us for a week or so before it was actually confirmed and it was the same at Chelsea and Everton. I guess he likes to make sure that everything is watertight before commiting.

Except Everton’s back four

5 hours ago, Gisby said:

Mine’s not ‘hate’ just don’t get the management career path he chose. A virtual lifetime in the game, his families history in the game, he must have had all the advice & support imaginable yet he believed one season at Derby qualified him as a premier league manager. If he is\was serious about a long term career as a top flight football manager then, in my opinion, he’s gone a funny way about it.

I think we have to remember, this was Chelsea, a club he spent the best part of his career, 13 years. 

London, where he lives with his wife and she works, friends, family and a new born child. Even his mate, the assistant manager was a Blue all his life.

It was a dream opportunity for them both and he took it, if I was in the same position say managing Cheltenham and Derby came in after my first season, I would have as well 100%.

You talk about all the advice and support he must have had, yet Harry Redknapp his uncle was his biggest cheerleader for the job. You won’t find a footballer or manager that ever thinks they are not good enough to play or manage at the top level, regardless of experience. You need that kind of confidence, to back yourself to make it. 

It’s easy to sit here with our Derby bias and say he should have stayed, as I say this was the dream job that landed on his doorstep, he didn’t leave to manage a Crystal Palace or Everton at the time, it was Chelsea, no guarantee that opportunity would ever come again. 

I’m sure there is part of him that believes he will get another chance again to manage Chelsea, if it doesn’t happen, he’s done it, the club he loves he has walked them out and tasted victory 44 times. Guided them through a spell of transfer embargo where others wouldn’t have touched it.

His biggest mistake so far was taking on the Everton job. Starting Marriott at Wembley would not have seen us promoted in my opinion, Villa were a far better team and had a far better squad than us at the time. 

1 hour ago, David said:

I think we have to remember, this was Chelsea, a club he spent the best part of his career, 13 years. 

London, where he lives with his wife and she works, friends, family and a new born child. Even his mate, the assistant manager was a Blue all his life.

It was a dream opportunity for them both and he took it, if I was in the same position say managing Cheltenham and Derby came in after my first season, I would have as well 100%.

You talk about all the advice and support he must have had, yet Harry Redknapp his uncle was his biggest cheerleader for the job. You won’t find a footballer or manager that ever thinks they are not good enough to play or manage at the top level, regardless of experience. You need that kind of confidence, to back yourself to make it. 

It’s easy to sit here with our Derby bias and say he should have stayed, as I say this was the dream job that landed on his doorstep, he didn’t leave to manage a Crystal Palace or Everton at the time, it was Chelsea, no guarantee that opportunity would ever come again. 

I’m sure there is part of him that believes he will get another chance again to manage Chelsea, if it doesn’t happen, he’s done it, the club he loves he has walked them out and tasted victory 44 times. Guided them through a spell of transfer embargo where others wouldn’t have touched it.

His biggest mistake so far was taking on the Everton job. Starting Marriott at Wembley would not have seen us promoted in my opinion, Villa were a far better team and had a far better squad than us at the time. 

All a matter of opinions and we’ll have to agree to disagree. Your confidence is my arrogance. I believe Frank would have got his time at Chelsea further down the line come what may & would have been better prepared for it with a few more years in the lower leagues under his belt. Marriott or Bennett to start at Wembley??? A no brainer!! One was a proven goal scorer one wasn’t. Just my opinion of course and neither of us can prove ourselves right ?

When Lampard left I was utterly annoyed, TalkSport and Sky had been hawking him to Chelsea for months. I didnt at the time buy for one minute that whole: "This post may never come up again" like Chelsea were about to hire the next Alex Fergusson and build an 18 year dynasty not the usual 18 month managerial revolving door policy.

I'd argue that his managerial stock was artificially inflated, and the prospect of having a few photographs of Lampard in the dugout sooner rather than later was too much for the sporting community to cope with and they needed to see it happen.

However, if Lampard would have stayed, would it all have come crashing down? His stock falling as the noose tightens around Derby; I can't see Adrian Durham et al flogging Lampard to Chelsea when we are 19th in the Championship. I suspected that Jody may have been the brains and the only real surprise from the subsequent career paths of our big 3 loanees is that Harry Wilson probably isnt currently worth 50m.

On balance if I felt for a minute my stock may wane and Derby came calling then I'd go now, learn, and pray for some luck.