Kaide Gordon - signed for Liverpool

rynny

Someone is badly advising this lad it seems. I for one say let him go, if he doesn't want to be here, then I don't want him. What will probably happen is that he will go to Liverpool, get next to no opportunities due to all the talent ahead of him, and his development will stagnate. He has realistically way more of a chance at future first team football here, if he can't see that then either him, or his advisors are not very bright.

If what has been stated is true and we have offered him a deal and he has refused to sign because Liverpool have come sniffing around, I for one will not loose any sleep over it.

I highly doubt Kaide will play for Liverpool, especially now as questions are being asked due to their drop in form.

The chances are we will see him on loan at some other Championship club, but oh well just another promising English youngster whose potential could be stunted due to bad choices.

He could be in our first team next season. Instead he will sit in their youth team.

1 hour ago, DanS1992 said:

Someone is badly advising this lad it seems. I for one say let him go, if he doesn't want to be here, then I don't want him. What will probably happen is that he will go to Liverpool, get next to no opportunities due to all the talent ahead of him, and his development will stagnate. He has realistically way more of a chance at future first team football here, if he can't see that then either him, or his advisors are not very bright.

If what has been stated is true and we have offered him a deal and he has refused to sign because Liverpool have come sniffing around, I for one will not loose any sleep over it.

I’m 100% with you @DanS1992 loyalty is something that cannot be learned. This boy and his advisors clearly have none for DCFC, F.R.O and I hope you enjoy Under 23s football for the next 7-8 years prior to you mr move to Shrewsbury or somewhere else. 

36 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

I highly doubt Kaide will play for Liverpool, especially now as questions are being asked due to their drop in form.

The chances are we will see him on loan at some other Championship club, but oh well just another promising English youngster whose potential could be stunted due to bad choices.

He could be in our first team next season. Instead he will sit in their youth team.

Seen quite a few Liverpool supporters refer to him as one of their money ball signings.  Basically inferring he will used as a catalyst to make money from loans to put towards first team signings in a couple of years.  A likely situation I highlighted yesterday. No risk at a million quid and no add ons if he's loaned out .   Apparently, they've signed a few more young players who they expect to be earmarked for this - bit like that Ojo fella whose had loads of clubs. 

2 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

I’m 100% with you @DanS1992 loyalty is something that cannot be learned. This boy and his advisors clearly have none for DCFC, F.R.O and I hope you enjoy Under 23s football for the next 7-8 years prior to you mr move to Shrewsbury or somewhere else. 

Sounds a bit bitter when talking about a 16 year old kid. Loyalty in football only extends to fans being loyal to their club and that's it. We're happy enough to bin players off if they're not playing well, and even happier to shout abuse at them in the stands and on social media.

He's been given a chance to join the champions of England, who do actually try to bring youth through - Alexander-Arnold, Curtis Jones, Rhys Williams, Neco Williams etc. I'd think differently if he was joining Chelsea's young perpetual loanees.

The best players don't get to where they are by going for the safer option, he has to believe he's good enough to break into the side in a few years time. If he does, then who knows what he's capable of achieving, maybe he'll be a Sterling or a Sancho. And if he doesn't, he knows there's plenty of clubs willing to sign ex-Liverpool youth players... like us for example! Seems like it's a risk worth taking.

10 minutes ago, JohnHarkes said:

Sounds a bit bitter when talking about a 16 year old kid. Loyalty in football only extends to fans being loyal to their club and that's it. We're happy enough to bin players off if they're not playing well, and even happier to shout abuse at them in the stands and on social media.

He's been given a chance to join the champions of England, who do actually try to bring youth through - Alexander-Arnold, Curtis Jones, Rhys Williams, Neco Williams etc. I'd think differently if he was joining Chelsea's young perpetual loanees.

The best players don't get to where they are by going for the safer option, he has to believe he's good enough to break into the side in a few years time. If he does, then who knows what he's capable of achieving, maybe he'll be a Sterling or a Sancho. And if he doesn't, he knows there's plenty of clubs willing to sign ex-Liverpool youth players... like us for example! Seems like it's a risk worth taking.

This boy and his advisors

2 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

This boy and his advisors

Okay, I'll rephrase. Sounds a bit bitter when talking about a 16 year old boy... and his advisors. Hoping he 'enjoys 7-8 years of under 23 football and a move to Shrewsbury' sounds like it's aimed less at his advisors, however.

Besides, I think his advice is sound:

"Do you wanna sign a professional contract here at Derby, or for a team called Liverpool FC in a rather wet corner of England?"

"Hmmm... not sure. How good are the offers?"

"Well, Liverpool will pay you more, but you might have to do a few years in the U18s and U23s. Whereas Derby are far more likely to give you first team experience within the next year. However, getting paid isn't actually guaranteed..."

8 minutes ago, JohnHarkes said:

Okay, I'll rephrase. Sounds a bit bitter when talking about a 16 year old boy... and his advisors. Hoping he 'enjoys 7-8 years of under 23 football and a move to Shrewsbury' sounds like it's aimed less at his advisors, however.

"Do you wanna sign a professional contract here at Derby, or for a team called Liverpool FC in a rather wet corner of England?"

"Well, Liverpool will pay you more, but you might have to do a few years in the U18s and U23s. Whereas Derby are far more likely to give you first team experience within the next year. However, getting paid isn't actually guaranteed..."

Personally, I'd take the first team exposure and have a choice of offers incoming and a very hefty signing on fee in twelve months if I thought I was good enough.  That will get you further quicker and more than make up for loss of earnings on a first pro contract at the moment.   Sure he would get his wages as well.  I was working on the understanding all the youngsters were still getting paid on time.

That's me now.  At 16 might have been different when someone offered me a nice signing on fee. 

His story reminds me a lot of the Newcastle and Coventry forward Mick Quinn.  In his book he actually turned down Liverpool to come here as Derby were league champions twice in 4 years and Liverpool were 1 title in ten years.  Didn't work out as he was homesick and got lead astray regarding the booze being away from home as a young kid .    

As I noted the other day, much of this is to do with the football food chain that's always there, however a million quid for a player who's supposedly this promising who's had such a thorough and expensive team of academy coaches, nutritionist's, club doctors etc over a  number of years not to mention future value is ridiculous.

No one likes to feel they've rear ended and that's happened with this lad and Delap in just over twelve months.  If they fulfil there potential that's a huge amount of cash down the swanny.  If there was a minimum fee of 1 million but a guaranteed 25% sell on and 50% of any loan fee up to the age of 23 that would be fairer and people wouldn't be so irate.  

46 minutes ago, JohnHarkes said:

@Gee SCREAMER !! has covered it, no need to reiterate the same reasoning. 

I think a few posters should just have a look at their comments about a young 16 year old boy. I have a 16 year old and know how I would feel to read some of the posts on here. However fed up you are about our situation at the moment dont direct it at a young lad. Its embarrassing. If you go Kaide then best of luck and hopefully see you back again one day unless the posts about this everywhere poison your view of our fans. And if your sale lets a couple of others come in who can save us from the abyss thank you. 

7 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Personally, I'd take the first team exposure and have a choice of offers incoming and a very hefty signing on fee in twelve months if I thought I was good enough.  That will get you further quicker and more than make up for loss of earnings on a first pro contract at the moment.   Sure he would get his wages as well.  I was working on the understanding all the youngsters were still getting paid on time.

That's me now.  At 16 might have been different when someone offered me a nice signing on fee. 

His story reminds me a lot of the Newcastle and Coventry forward Mick Quinn.  In his book he actually turned down Liverpool to come here as Derby were league champions twice in 4 years and Liverpool were 1 title in ten years.  Didn't work out as he was homesick and got lead astray regarding the booze being away from home as a young kid .    

As I noted the other day, much of this is to do with the football food chain that's always there, however a million quid for a player who's supposedly this promising who's had such a thorough and expensive team of academy coaches, nutritionist's, club doctors etc over a  number of years not to mention future value is ridiculous.

No one likes to feel they've rear ended and that's happened with this lad and Delap in just over twelve months.  If they fulfil there potential that's a huge amount of cash down the swanny.  If there was a minimum fee of 1 million but a guaranteed 25% sell on and 50% of any loan fee up to the age of 23 that would be fairer and people wouldn't be so irate.  

I think it's hard to compare what I'd do now as opposed to what a 16 year old would do, because I'd certainly be lot less cautious at 16, and most kids believe they're indestructible and aren't as aware of life's potential pitfalls. I don't doubt those advising him are maybe seeing pound signs either, but even then it's exciting - life's short and if he doesn't take this chance he may be left questioning 'what if' later down the line. Of course that also applies if it doesn't work out at Liverpool, but it's all a gamble and I hope for him it works out.

I was being a bit facetious regarding him being paid here, he wouldn't be a high earner even after signing a pro contract and I doubt (hope) Derby's struggles won't last for too much longer.

I do understand the frustration when/if you see players like Delap and Gordon succeed elsewhere, especially if they're sold for tens of millions of pounds later down the line - it's always galling when young talent is poached by these huge clubs, but as you say it's part of the football food chain and their scouting network is designed to recruit them when they're at an age where they don't have to pay huge sums.

I try to take to comfort from the fact that our academy players are attracting such interest though, because there's not been many times in the club's recent history where our young players (or any former players) have gone on to bigger and better things. And it's all part of the business model, sell the best talent to the big clubs, and build a good team with the rest whose value will increase later on. It certainly beats splooshing £4/5m on average 28 year olds then letting them go on a free.

Fingers crossed for the sell on fees though!

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Played against Quinny whilst he was an apprentice at Derby in a preseason.

Got to admit i didn't think he looked very homesick when scored .

3 minutes ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

Played against Quinny whilst he was an apprentice at Derby in a preseason.

Got to admit i didn't think he looked very homesick when scored .

His book was recommended to me. Was actually a good read.  Always a chunky fella and used to give it back when opponents wound him up .  My favourite was a comeback he gave Warren Barton, kept calling him a fat barsteward and he told him to 'blame your wife because  every time he gave her one she makes me eat a chocolate biscuit.

Nice bit in there about how he was going to pack up when he left Derby, till he got a letter from Roy Mcfarland when he was back at home telling him he was a good player and to keep at it .  He still has the letter and considers it his prize possession from his playing days.

There's a lot of animosity towards Kaide on here, which is sad. He's a brilliant young player, and he may make it at Liverpool, who knows? 

He might look at his brother Kellan's career path; he chose to stay at Derby, never got a real first team chance, left I think on a free transfer and is now plying his trade for young Nigel over at Mansfield. Great lad, earns a living from the game, but if I was him, I'd be telling Kaide to go for it. There are no definites in football, wherever you end up - why not go and try to compete with the very best? 

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

There's a lot of animosity towards Kaide on here, which is sad. He's a brilliant young player, and he may make it at Liverpool, who knows? 

He might look at his brother Kellan's career path; he chose to stay at Derby, never got a real first team chance, left I think on a free transfer and is now plying his trade for young Nigel over at Mansfield. Great lad, earns a living from the game, but if I was him, I'd be telling Kaide to go for it. There are no definites in football, wherever you end up - why not go and try to compete with the very best? 

Well said! I think if any of these people had experience of what it is like in the Academy System then they wouldn’t be making the comments.  Kaide needs to do what is best for himself and his family, I’m sure that there isn’t anybody on here that wouldn’t accept a better job if they were offered one!