Kaide Gordon - signed for Liverpool

rynny

1 hour ago, hughesy 1984 said:

Hopefully we can get him back on loan, possibly the rest of this season and next. As would surely be better for his development, rather than not being involved at Liverpool. 

He isn't ready for our first team yet. If we have an agreement that WHEN he is ready for a championship loan we get first option, then fair enough.

54 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You loan back players who would be starters - the likes of Buchanan and Knight - not those who are fringe players which Gordon is at the moment. We have others who can fill that role at the moment such as JML, Whittaker, etc... I'd rather spend 6 months developing them than 6 months developing a fringe player for another club at the expense of our own players.

Delap was playing against our 2nd string U23 defence, with only Archie starting if everyone was fit: Ebosele, McDonald, Minkley and Wassall. Sykes-Kenworthy is behind Foster, Idem and Yates in goal, and even the midfield was missing JBrown, Hutchinson, Watson and Dixon. I'm not surprised Delap looked a cut above our U23s... but his record at that level is almost identical to Stretton's so far this season, so I don't think we're missing out on much.

But I thought Gordon was the best player since sliced bread? It seems the same people who are saying this and wanting more money/ devastated that he’s leaving. Are also saying he wouldn’t improve the worst attack in the league? 

ive never seen anything of the lad, but he can’t be that good if he people who have seen him play are saying he wouldn’t improve us. 

I thought he was the real deal, when I was thinking of a loan back option. If he’s miles off then it’s obviously a non starter 

I doubt he's ready for the physicality of the Championship at such a young age, it doesn't matter how talented he is, it's a tough league for anyone so young.

It would be great to see him move to Liverpool and become the player he has the potential to be knowing our academy shaped him. It's testament to our academy that we're receiving seven figure sums for teenagers who haven't even started a first team game yet. 
As much as I'd love to see him become the best player in the country at Derby, that just isn't ever going to happen unless we were also up there with the likes of Liverpool. Who could begrudge the kid a move like that anyway?

Edited by JohnHarkes

In the position we are at moment we not 'capable' of offering any upcoming player with any potential the opportunity to quickly increase their wages or offer them a chance of playing at a higher level.

Its sad but unfortunately true  we will find it difficult (just like all the other teams in our position) to hold on to any player when the big boys come knocking.

All you can do is try and get the best deal you possibly can and wish the boy well.

27 minutes ago, hughesy 1984 said:

But I thought Gordon was the best player since sliced bread? It seems the same people who are saying this and wanting more money/ devastated that he’s leaving. Are also saying he wouldn’t improve the worst attack in the league? 

ive never seen anything of the lad, but he can’t be that good if he people who have seen him play are saying he wouldn’t improve us. 

I thought he was the real deal, when I was thinking of a loan back option. If he’s miles off then it’s obviously a non starter 

No... He's one of the best 16 year olds in the country. That doesn't mean he's good enough to be a regular starter in a Championship side at this moment in time.

You loan in key players / starters.. not squad players. Loaning and playing Gordon would hinder the progress of our own youngsters, so I see no value in having him on loan for the rest of the season.

I don't see what all the fuss is here. Our business model is to use the academy, nurture players, and sell them. This is a great example. In fact its a perfect example, as we're getting money for a player who isn't in the first team squad, so it's not like we're losing an important player for our relegation scrap run in. 

People saying he's the best 16-year-old in the country means nothing. It's hype. Callum Ball was the best 16-year-old in the country. So was Lee Holmes. So was Mason Bennett. It's all subjective and an unfair tag as players develop at different times. He might be awesome by the time he gets to 18, or he might be average. Fact is we need the money and there's money on offer, so we take it. 

Why wouldn't he go to Liverpool? Are people genuinely saying we're a better club or that our youth set up is better than theirs? 

It's a great move for the lad and I hope he does very well so we get a big sell-on fee in the future. 

1 hour ago, hughesy 1984 said:

He's 16. He's not the best anything. He's a prospect, not the real deal. I can't think of many 16-year-olds ever that were the real deal.

Like any 16-year-old, he's got a long way to go.

It's a bit like saying I'm a prospect for pope. To become pope, I need to find God, convert to Catholicism, attend seminary etc. But I've got all the right attributes - I'm a bloke.

1 hour ago, sage said:

He isn't ready for our first team yet. If we have an agreement that WHEN he is ready for a championship loan we get first option, then fair enough.

Hasn't he been on the bench for two of the last three games ?

Not that I'm saying he is ready, just playing devils advocate in asking the question.

34 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I don't see what all the fuss is here. Our business model is to use the academy, nurture players, and sell them. This is a great example. In fact its a perfect example, as we're getting money for a player who isn't in the first team squad, so it's not like we're losing an important player for our relegation scrap run in. 

People saying he's the best 16-year-old in the country means nothing. It's hype. Callum Ball was the best 16-year-old in the country. So was Lee Holmes. So was Mason Bennett. It's all subjective and an unfair tag as players develop at different times. He might be awesome by the time he gets to 18, or he might be average. Fact is we need the money and there's money on offer, so we take it. 

Why wouldn't he go to Liverpool? Are people genuinely saying we're a better club or that our youth set up is better than theirs? 

It's a great move for the lad and I hope he does very well so we get a big sell-on fee in the future. 

That's te first time I've heard anyone say that about any of those players! I don't think anyone felt Ball would be anything more than a good Championship forward. No one ever thought they were the best 16 year olds in the country

47 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That's te first time I've heard anyone say that about any of those players! I don't think anyone felt Ball would be anything more than a good Championship forward. No one ever thought they were the best 16 year olds in the country

I can’t say Ball ever looked like a championship forward ( apart from against West Ham )

1 hour ago, BIllyD said:

Hasn't he been on the bench for two of the last three games ?

Not that I'm saying he is ready, just playing devils advocate in asking the question.

He has been on the bench as we have very little choice.

Liverpool would only loan a youngster to get regular game time. Though thinking about it, they may loan him back to us for the rest of the season re covid.