v Swansea (H) - Match Thread

Bubbles

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Four clean sheets in a row, one shot on target against us in last 3 games, with all three fixtures being against teams in the top 7 at the time.

The turn around in defensive stability has been astonishing, it makes you wonder what on Earth were we doing in training before this?!

Just now, ram59 said:

I disagree with those calling for a number of late substitutions. You don't want to disrupt a team comfortably in control, unless a player is injured or his legs have gone. It wasn't as if you was expecting them to score at any moment and needed to disrupt their play.

Whilst it's fair to say about not disrupting the team, we were rapidly tiring in central areas; Knight and CKR in particularly but both Bielik and Shinnie were tiring as well. Also we essentially had nothing going forwards to keep them honest past about 60 minutes. Just think we could have been a touch bolder in substitutions, perhaps saving some legs for future games with it.

5 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

My Swansea mate said it was a really off day from them.

I think they underprepared and thought we'd be easy. We also got out tactics spot on to stop them and out worked them and wanted it more.

Feeling more confident as games go by that we're gonna be ok, that even if we limp on with no investment we'll do enough to survive.

Team is improving and TWO goals!

Can't show how good you are if the opposition won't give you the ball.

14 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

I think this prediction from a month ago is now coming to fruition - it’s no coincidence we are playing better without him in the team. Far more dynamic in midfield & playing at a higher tempo now

that is hardly saying "give Rooney the job because he could do a great job" though is it...?!? 

No one can deny since he took over we have looked a million times better....give the bloke some credit.

Wazzaball is taking us up!!

I didn't mind that we reverted to 4231 second half. I think that 2-0 win will do more for the players' confidence than if we'd won 3-2 keeping pushing forward.

Also, a good way to manage the fitness of the players. Most likely all are ready to go again against Rotherham if required.

Two things stand out for me. 

The first is the fitness levels. Everyone seems fitter. So much energy in the full back areas, the midfield are always closing down, and Knight and Kazim are great at defending from the front. 

Second is, for me, the most important. The long awaited return of having some gamesmanship to us. We were too nice under Cocu. We now stop them taking quick free kicks by kicking the ball away or picking it up, we argue with the ref, we push players over when they clear the ball, we leave our foot in on defenders. It all makes the opposition more unsettled. Nobody wants Kazim or Knight closing then down and leaving a bit on them.

16 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

It's been an superb team performance but Clarke and Wisdom have been immense. 

They were so good that you just did not expect any errors to occur and they did not occur. Swansea's least attempts on goal since Cooper got the job. Wayne did well to stop his ear to ear grin from making him laugh with joy. He loves this job, he loves Derby County. Manchester United of old on their day off today. Potentially great things on the way. Impossible improvement in performance today. Playing like this, we can give any team a run for their money. He has put £40 million on the team. Kazim Superman shirt with a K instead of an S gif from the teccie guys please. Ideally today. Euphoria at last from the Rams. Glowing reports from Sky team including Prutton.

5 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Four clean sheets in a row, one shot on target against us in last 3 games, with all three fixtures being against teams in the top 7 at the time.

The turn around in defensive stability has been astonishing, it makes you wonder what on Earth were we doing in training before this?!

I think the Bird Rooney double pivot didn't work defensively, now we have a great midfield balance with Bielik, Knight and Shinnie which is probably a top 6 standard midfield in my eyes, full of energy and also very versatile. Also we are more organised for set peices since Rooney became manager. 

Just now, MuespachRam said:

that is hardly saying "give Rooney the job because he could do a great job" though is it...?!? 

No one can deny since he took over we have looked a million times better....give the bloke some credit.

Wazzaball is taking us up!!

You are right - I dont think he is doing anything better than any half competent manager would do with this group of players

He was a handbrake on the team as a player & I doubt many managers would have got us doing any better than Cocu if they were forced to play Rooney every week. The current improvement was inevitable when we no longer had to shoe horn him into the team.

The jury is still out for me as him as a manager - I’m not getting carried away. Give him the job until the end of the season when his contract runs out then - don’t do anything daft like giving him a 3 year contract now.

A genuinely faultless display. Dominate in a way that was reminiscent of a first-era Steve McClaren side. Clever and gritty in the second half in a way that completely nullified Swansea's inevitable response. No point in singling out a player. They were all outstanding.

I had my doubts when he came into the club, and in fairness the impact when he was first appointed was uninspiring to say the least. But he's got us playing better football, defending in a way that I haven't seen since Rowett, and attacking in a way that is just fun to watch.

He deserves all the credit that's coming his way and let's hope his appointment is confirmed soon...

...well done, Steve! 

Archived