Live football thread.

Rev

Pep just got it wrong from the off, not playing either Doku or Grealish out wide.

City were so poor in the first half, I don’t think they even had a shot at goal.

They had enough decent chances in the 2nd half to have come back, but Haaland and Alvarez both missed sitters and Onana made some decent saves.

I wouldn’t go overboard on United. They parked the bus, were gifted a first goal and then hung on for dear life in the 2nd half. They played like a team scrapping relegation. But in a final, winning is all that matters.

United’s owners would be foolish to let this win cloud their judgement on ETH. They need to change manager if they ever want to challenge for the PL and CL again.

16 hours ago, abertawe_ram said:

Exactly the same for me too.

Another bonus to the utd win is Chelsea get no European football next year I believe? I really really can't stand Chelsea 

I heard it was Newcastle that misses out. 

16 hours ago, Crewton said:

Man United deserved that. I think it's no bad thing that City haven't won everything, even if I'd normally favour anyone but United.

Maybe in the day they did. But I’m annoyed. Over the season they deserved nothing. That they’ve managed to sneak into Europe having finished 8th in the league is daylight robbery. They’ve had one good game all season, and that was it. They scraped to the final with a lucky draw, and lucky results.

They've screwed over City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Newcastle with that win.

Arsenal are wondering where that performance was when they played City in the league.

City are wondering where their double double is.

Chelsea thought they see home and hosed in the Europa league.

And Newcastle have been kicked out of Europe altogether.

in fact they’ve screwed over Tottenham as well, being so crap in the champions league this season ruined our coefficient (I know that’s probably fault of other clubs too, but United being crap didn’t help).

so spawny that they can have such A rubbish season and still end up with a trophy and in a decent European competition. Grr. 

10 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Maybe in the day they did. But I’m annoyed. Over the season they deserved nothing. That they’ve managed to sneak into Europe having finished 8th in the league is daylight robbery. They’ve had one good game all season, and that was it. They scraped to the final with a lucky draw, and lucky results.

They've screwed over City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Newcastle with that win.

Arsenal are wondering where that performance was when they played City in the league.

City are wondering where their double double is.

Chelsea thought they see home and hosed in the Europa league.

And Newcastle have been kicked out of Europe altogether.

in fact they’ve screwed over Tottenham as well, being so crap in the champions league this season ruined our coefficient (I know that’s probably fault of other clubs too, but United being crap didn’t help).

so spawny that they can have such A rubbish season and still end up with a trophy and in a decent European competition. Grr. 

But an FA Cup final win has always resulted in a trophy, and a trip to Europe.
Giants like Southampton, Wimbledon, Coventry, Portsmouth, Wigan, and even Fester, have been awarded thus, in the dark distant past.  

Regardless of opinion on Man U, we shouldn't begrudge an FA Cup Winner the entry into Europe.  It's about all the competion has going for it nowadays.  The once famous competition is nigh on dead on it's arse as it is!

Just now, Mucker1884 said:

But an FA Cup final win has always resulted in a trophy, and a trip to Europe.
Giants like Southampton, Wimbledon, Coventry, Portsmouth, Wigan, and even Fester, have been awarded thus, in the dark distant past.  

Regardless of opinion on Man U, we shouldn't begrudge an FA Cup Winner the entry into Europe.  It's about all the competion has going for it nowadays.  The once famous competition is nigh on dead on it's arse as it is!

Totally agree. I just didn’t see United winning that game, and across the season, they really didn’t deserve the prizes that the fa cup gives, and the fact it’s dicked other clubs that did.

when a Wigan wins those prizes or a Portsmouth, then fair play to them. They’re not likely to pinch up in the top 6 so this is their only route and they’ve grasped the opportunity. But United shouldn’t be relying on these back doors. They’ve had a terrible season, they didn’t do anything special to get to the final. They deserved nothing more than getting absolutely spanked, Watford style, in the final. 

16 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I wouldn’t go overboard on United. They parked the bus, were gifted a first goal and then hung on for dear life in the 2nd half. They played like a team scrapping relegation. But in a final, winning is all that matters.

Spot on Bris, Even in the 1st half united had 2 banks of 5 defending what they had, A miserable Cup final...imo, City are/were so used to having the game and game plan go their way that teams were beaten before they turned up, 1st goal a c*** up, 2nd goal well worked, That Mainoo kid if he progresses is going to be some player.

Pep has admitted he got the 1st half wrong, But giving a team a 2 goal lead at which they can defend with ease, Pack the 18 yard area, Have a wall in front and it becomes very difficult, City's goal was courtesy of Nana.

The great Alan Shearer 🙄 in the media this morning...where has this united been all season...I'll tell ya...floundering in the middle on the EPL.

Nope City were bang average and united took advantage of this 👍

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Leeds v Southampton take center stage in the game dubbed the richest in the world.

Hope it’s not a drab 0-0.

Who do you want to play in the Championship,Leeds or Southampton.? Whoever goes up to the Prem will come straight back down again.

2 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

Spot on Bris, Even in the 1st half united had 2 banks of 5 defending what they had, A miserable Cup final...imo, City are/were so used to having the game and game plan go their way that teams were beaten before they turned up, 1st goal a c*** up, 2nd goal well worked, That Mainoo kid if he progresses is going to be some player.

Pep has admitted he got the 1st half wrong, But giving a team a 2 goal lead at which they can defend with ease, Pack the 18 yard area, Have a wall in front and it becomes very difficult, City's goal was courtesy of Nana.

The great Alan Shearer 🙄 in the media this morning...where has this united been all season...I'll tell ya...floundering in the middle on the EPL.

Nope City were bang average and united took advantage of this 👍

I enjoyed it

33 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I enjoyed it

I thought it was a decent game, especially 2nd half.

I'm ready to be shot down obviously here... but here goes....

The thing I don't understand is with eg Aguero or Jesus, City didn't have to option to just go direct. They then get a 6ft 4in beast of a striker.

Teams like United and Madrid have gone deep and incredibly narrow and said you can't play through us and can cross it to your heart's content. City pass it across the penalty edge, left to right...to Silva, Doku, Grealish.... who granted are inverted and invariably check back in. But regardless of not hitting the goal line, they are given ample opportunity to cross it...and Haaland offers very little at times at the backpost. I'd back eg Shearer to have been much more dangerous in those tight games. Haaland seems very static and not in the position to attack the ball.

Obviously he's a phenomenon,  but he really doesn't offer an aerial threat that I expected him to in these huge games.

7th time lucky has a better ring to it imho.  

And I'm talking about their record in just the finals rather than the play-offs as a whole 😛

2 hours ago, Malagaram said:

Who do you want to play in the Championship,Leeds or Southampton.? Whoever goes up to the Prem will come straight back down again.

Southampton as Leeds will apparently be in financial meltdown if they don’t go up and I can’t wait 😅

Both of them will probably be stronger than us next year so it doesn't matter from that perspective. It will be infinitely funnier if Leeds don't go up, so for that reason... "Come on Southampton!!"