Watchable telly

dog

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

We watched Squid Game and i would have given up if the Mrs didn't push us through it. In the end I thought it was decent but not especially good.

However my big issue with it was the ridiculous script and annoying characters. But that's because I watched the dubbed version. Nobody who watched it in Korean with subtitles seems to have the same complaints. There's a woman who every time she speaks I wanted to turn off. Horrible. 

Cringey parts in the dubbed version like 

"Let's play odds versus evens. You do know what odd and even are don't you?"

"Urgh.... no. I don't know" 

And

"Hey, we should make a team and work together. We will be stronger for every game if we approach it as a group and help each other to survive to the next round"

"You guys think you are so strong huuuuh? You don't want a woman on your team huuuuh? I will show you huuuuh? Hahahahhahah"

Felt like I was losing brain cells sometimes. Best show on Netflix? Not even top 3 best foreign language show/movie.

I watched the dubbed version too huuuuh and that woman was annoying as hell huuuuh.

I wish I’d watched it in Korean with subtitles huuuuuh.

Sorry.

Huuuuh.

Yeah she made me want to put a fist through the screen.

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

Cringey parts in the dubbed version like 

"Let's play odds versus evens. You do know what odd and even are don't you?"

"Urgh.... no. I don't know"

TBF (mild spoilers) the old man has a brain tumour and is losing his mind. At that point in the plot doesn't even seem to  know where he is, and the main character is in a panic that he isn't compos mentis enough to complete the marble game against him

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

"You guys think you are so strong huuuuh? You don't want a woman on your team huuuuh? I will show you huuuuh? Hahahahhahah"

We watched it in the original korean with subtitles, and that character was annoying as hell even in her own voice - but again, that was part of the plot. She was unhinged and meant to be annoying to all the other players

Seems like Squid Game 2 is inevitable, but I can't see how a second series would be anything like as gripping when you know what the game is

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Succession is back hurrah!

Has their ever been a better, wittier programme about power and its abuse?

Brian Cox still amazing as Murdoch, sorry Logan Roy.

Really enjoyed the first two series and watched episode 1 of series 3 last night. Perhaps it will grow on me again but I was left a little underwhelmed. 

I know it's obviously the theme for the entire set of series but I do wonder how long they can drag out a story about a group of obnoxious  kids (and a few other side characters) swapping sides and jostling for position to take over a media empire.

Sorry for the spoiler for anyone just embarking on series 1 and for any fans. As I say, I'm sure I'll grow into it again and I'll rate it after two or three episodes.

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

TBF (mild spoilers) the old man has a brain tumour and is losing his mind. At that point in the plot doesn't even seem to  know where he is, and the main character is in a panic that he isn't compos mentis enough to complete the marble game against him

We watched it in the original korean with subtitles, and that character was annoying as hell even in her own voice - but again, that was part of the plot. She was unhinged and meant to be annoying to all the other players

Seems like Squid Game 2 is inevitable, but I can't see how a second series would be anything like as gripping when you know what the game is

Aww mate, she was horrible. Genuinely struggled to stick with it when she was on screen. 

Huuuuuuh 

Y - The Last Man - Cancelled after one season. First couple of episodes are decent and odd parts after then. The 'Man' character is a bit weak and comes across as a little bit Mr Bean after a while (without the humour). Maybe should have had someone like a Rick Grimes or Mad Max!

On 17/10/2021 at 21:57, Bob The Badger said:

Two episodes in of The Undoing and it's pretty good in a seen it all before kinda way.

Nicole Kidman is getting dangerously close to that tipping point with plastic surgery.

Much more and she'll slide into trout territory. 

I enjoyed that show on the whole. Hugh Grant was kinda wooden IMO, but Kidman was great.

That said actually, there is a scene where Kidman and Grant are having a blazing row later in the series and at one point Kidman completely loses her US accent and goes all aussie. Keep an eye out for it!

21 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Just watching the new Never Mind The Buzzcocks…….it’s ducking dreadful 

My favourite moment from that programme was Tony Blackburn on the same team as Slash.  Tony gets in an argument with someone on the other team about the lyrics to teenager in love and as it gets more heated Slash gives a hug and tells him to leave it. Lamarr states that if someone had asked him "which was more likely, winning the lottery or seeing Slash holding back Tony Blackburn in a fight it would the latter without a thought"

8 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

My favourite moment from that programme was Tony Blackburn on the same team as Slash.  Tony gets in an argument with someone on the other team about the lyrics to teenager in love and as it gets more heated Slash gives a hug and tells him to leave it. Lamarr states that if someone had asked him "which was more likely, winning the lottery or seeing Slash holding back Tony Blackburn in a fight it would the latter without a thought"

Lamarr was a great host and then later Simon Amstell was awesome, they made the show. The remake is awful which is sad as I really like Greg Davies 

I haven't watched A Question of Sport in probably two decades and watched two back-to-back yesterday whilst tending a sick pup.

I'm not sure why I watched the second one other than I couldn't believe how embarrassing it was and presumed it was a fluke.

I probably just loved it for the nostalgia and maybe it was never that good, but at least it had actually sporting stars on and not celebs and wannabes.