Watchable telly

dog

On 19/10/2021 at 06:14, Anag Ram said:

Succession is back hurrah!

Has their ever been a better, wittier programme about power and its abuse?

Brian Cox still amazing as Murdoch, sorry Logan Roy.

Watched the first season on your advice. What can I say? Neve watched a show before where I wanted every single character to die by fire, but it's hellish compelling. 

A quick anecdote to share... Murdoch allegedly used to take a leak off the roof of his old Fleet Street premises directly onto the 'great unwashed' unfortunate enough to be passing by on foot below. More Logan Roy than Logan Roy himself ?

#artimitatinglife

For about a decade, possibly more, I've had a DVD box set of Peep Show still in its cellophane wrap.

For the last four years I've not owned anything to play it on.

Now finally got round to watching it on catch up, coming up to mid point of series 5 and loving, and cringing, every episode. 

I know I'm not even fashionably late to the party, the warnings prior to early episodes about cultural differences between filming and watching show that, but it's superb in every way.

On 10/11/2021 at 13:45, NottsRam said:

The missus wants us to watch After Life together.  Thoughts please?

All a bit disconnected - for example (not too much of a spoiler) but the way Gervais' character shows affection to his wife is by playing humliating practical jokes on her. It's bizarre and just jars on the theme that somehow he really loved his wife when, in reality, he was pretty mean to her even when he thought he was being nice.

37 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

All a bit disconnected - for example (not too much of a spoiler) but the way Gervais' character shows affection to his wife is by playing humliating practical jokes on her. It's bizarre and just jars on the theme that somehow he really loved his wife when, in reality, he was pretty mean to her even when he thought he was being nice.

Not watched it but that kind of sounds like typical Gervais, and makes me glad I've not watched it 

6 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Not watched it but that kind of sounds like typical Gervais, and makes me glad I've not watched it 

I thought it was OK. Not as good as the hype.

Not as edgy as his stand up and with a lot more emotional intention than you would expect...but all served up in his usual sardonic style with everything mainly constructed for comic value rather than any genuine story telling. 

• 2 weeks later...

After a hiatus of what must be close to 20 years we started watching Never Mind the Buzzcocks again.

The episode we watched last night which I have no clue if it's the latest one or not as we never watch anything *live* with Bez and Shaun Ryder from The Happy Monday in had us both crying with laughter. Greg Davies is childish, predictable, profane and utterly hilarious.

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'll differ from everybody else and say I think it was outstanding.

If you like Gervais you'll love it.

If you hate Gervais you'll hate it.

I preferred series 1. Series 2 is just ok. The outtakes are very funny and worth checking out.

Edited by TimRam

Started The Wheel Of Time on Prime as the books are my #1 reads.

The show is "woke" which I don't have a problem with exactly. But certain things mess up the lore. Race and gender are integral to the plot so there's been some choices made that are kind of plot breaking. 

Not overly impressed as it's not very true to the books so far. It's got the names and locations but that's it. 

The first episode played out like a bloated pilot. Not subtle enough by far

Started Irvine Welsh's Crime. It's certainly not an easy watch. Anyone who has read his books will know he's not for sugar-coating his subject matter and this is no break from tradition. Indeed it's really harrowing and I'm only two episodes in. Already, I feel like I've been put through the ringer, but I'm also well and truly hooked, such is Welsh's mastery. Doubtless the denouement will entail a suitably gruesome end for the perpetrator of said 'Crime' so viewers are not left completely in despair. I sincerely hope so!

6 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Watching I'm a Celebrity for the first time in 15 or 16 years and that wife's request.

I'm actually finding myself laughing a lot even though I barely knew any of the celebs other than Madeley, who seems like he's on a PR campaign.

I do really like Ant and Dec.

I think maybe I just lowered the IQ of this thread.

Oh dear. I had such high hopes for you Bob ?

On 22/11/2021 at 19:56, 86 Hair Islands said:

Started Irvine Welsh's Crime. It's certainly not an easy watch. Anyone who has read his books will know he's not for sugar-coating his subject matter and this is no break from tradition. Indeed it's really harrowing and I'm only two episodes in. Already, I feel like I've been put through the ringer, but I'm also well and truly hooked, such is Welsh's mastery. Doubtless the denouement will entail a suitably gruesome end for the perpetrator of said 'Crime' so viewers are not left completely in despair. I sincerely hope so!

What platform is it on?