Watchable telly

dog

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

Out of interest - are you watching the dubbed version? 

We're watching the original Korean with subtitles, and I don't think you can judge the acting - it all feels pretty natural to me

We have been watching the dubbed version purely because my wife can’t see the subtitles without her glasses and refuses to go downstairs to get them…so I was reading It out to her…that gets old really quickly.! 
I agree you don’t get the real “emotion” of It all without the original language on It. You aren’t really judging the acting you are just judging the people responsible for the dubbed version. 
Interesting story, I once met the guy who was the Arnold Schwarzeneggers Italian dub person…they use the same people all the time for different actors….

3 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I agree you don’t get the real “emotion” of It all without the original language on It. You aren’t really judging the acting you are just judging the people responsible for the dubbed version. 

Yeah agreed, and worse than that - there is an obvious disconnect between the emotions of the actor's face and the emotions in the (other) actor's voice, which our brains find hard to ignore.

3 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Yeah agreed, and worse than that - there is an obvious disconnect between the emotions of the actor's face and the emotions in the (other) actor's voice, which our brains find hard to ignore.

Yeah, the main character seems to be the worst one and maybe the old man…oh and the annoying girl too.!!!

11 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

@@NottsRam on the theme of Italian made TV I meant to mention ZeroZeroZero. A lot of folk did not like it, least on here, perhaps because it's a tad downbeat and melancholy. Have a peep and see for yourself if you've not already. I think it's very good FWIW. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8332438/

Yes i watched this, thought it was okay to be fair.  Also done McMafia and Gangs of London, both were okay as well but looking forward to watching Suburra and the new series of Gomorrah.

On 14/10/2021 at 18:28, Angry Ram said:

Just finished Squid Games and strangely enjoyed it.. The acting was hard to watch in the first couple of episodes but was okay at the end.

Brilliant series.

The VIPs’ acting was so bizarre though. Couldn’t figure out whether it was because the filmmaker doesn’t understand how English people speak or it was some kind of commentary/satire.

Vincenzo

Netflix. Another Korean programme where a Korean member of the Mafia, raised in Rome, goes back to Korea after the head of his family dies, to retrieve hidden gold under a dilapidated old plaza, gets caught up in a battle with an evil Pharmaceutical firm. 

whilst it has an annoying ‘comedy’ slant and some overacting, it’s pretty decent. 

Tito Villa/10

4 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Brilliant series.

The VIPs’ acting was so bizarre though. Couldn’t figure out whether it was because the filmmaker doesn’t understand how English people speak or it was some kind of commentary/satire.

Yeah it was surreal. Very OTT and it didn’t need to be. Would be interesting to see what a western production would make of the story. 

13 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Two episodes in of The Undoing and it's pretty good in a seen it all before kinda way.

Nicole Kidman is getting dangerously close to that tipping point with plastic surgery.

Much more and she'll slide into trout territory. 

Yep agree her face barely moves. Hugh grant is great in that show…I enjoyed It but just like the Squid Game I thought the ending of It was obvious from episode 1. 

We watched Squid Game and i would have given up if the Mrs didn't push us through it. In the end I thought it was decent but not especially good.

However my big issue with it was the ridiculous script and annoying characters. But that's because I watched the dubbed version. Nobody who watched it in Korean with subtitles seems to have the same complaints. There's a woman who every time she speaks I wanted to turn off. Horrible. 

Cringey parts in the dubbed version like 

"Let's play odds versus evens. You do know what odd and even are don't you?"

"Urgh.... no. I don't know" 

And

"Hey, we should make a team and work together. We will be stronger for every game if we approach it as a group and help each other to survive to the next round"

"You guys think you are so strong huuuuh? You don't want a woman on your team huuuuh? I will show you huuuuh? Hahahahhahah"

Felt like I was losing brain cells sometimes. Best show on Netflix? Not even top 3 best foreign language show/movie.