Watchable telly

dog

11 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Great show. I think it was @Anag Ram who first mentioned it. I pretty much devoured the first two series in a matter of days. I've avoided seeing any of the new episodes in favour of an Xmas hols boxset binge. Can't wait! 

We're doing the same.

Some really complex characters but it doesn't take itself too seriously and there'a lot of tongue-in-cheek stuff that I like - or there was in the first two seasons.

4 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Narcos Mexico series 3. 

Still a great watch. Feels very authentic. Gangs,  drugs, intrigue all loosely based on fact..what's not to like.

We're half way through and it is brilliant.

All 6 (or is it 7)? have been great and I love the way they have mixed the Cali Cartel back in from the first 3 seasons.

None have quite hit the heights of the Escobar seasons, but that is up there as some of the greatest drama and acting of all time imho.

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Thought it was utter garbage with more plot flaws than all the episodes of every Hectors House and Magic Roundabout combined.

Interesting idea crippled by terrible writing and embarrassing acting.

But plenty loved it.

Halleluiah! Thought it was just me. Made it through one episode only! Super popular despite making zero sense ?‍♀️

19 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The sex pistols one is the series that's pretty much cost John Lydon all his cash in court costs.  He hates it that much he took his other bandmates to court to stop them using the music on the soundtrack and lost .  Whether it's because its a load of toss or he's saying that because he doesn't like how he's portrayed I'm not sure. 

One thing's for sure - it's definitely not because he comes across as a complete dick ?

American Crime Story: Impeachment

Third in the series, this one focuses on the Lewinsky Affair.

Not as good as the other two despite a brilliant cast.

The story is somehow not sensational enough post Trump to be that entertaining. 

Interesting though given Lewinsky is a producer on the show.

Watched House of Cards (USA) in recent weeks. Started well with Kevin Spacey well deserving of his acting acknowledgements. However by Series 4 the plot had been lost, and Series 6 (without Spacey because of real life ‘issues’ to deal with) must be up there with the most rubbish writing of all time. I guess I am saying avoid, but if you like the story premise watch the UK version.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Just finished series three of Succession.

Wow, just wow!

Top class acting, brilliantly witty script and fabulous bitchiness. Moments that are funny, cringe-inducing and jaw-dropping.

I forbid you to miss it!

?

Felt this season was a lot more understated but damn, that final scene was *chef’s kiss*. 

Rewatching Peaky Blinders.

For me..

..stuff like Line of Duty, Doctor Foster, The Bodyguard which are incredibly popular, always have the overwhelming feel of British made-for-tv.

Peaky Blinders is two levels above them in terms of quality,  look and complexity of story.  In its own way, I think it can be compared against all the great US series.

On 14/12/2021 at 18:46, Anag Ram said:

Just finished series three of Succession.

Wow, just wow!

Top class acting, brilliantly witty script and fabulous bitchiness. Moments that are funny, cringe-inducing and jaw-dropping.

I forbid you to miss it!

?

My Mrs watched this. She then suggested I should try watching it. 

Now, usually when she suggests a show , I often don't make it to episode 2. 

I checked a few of the good reviews, and then a few of the bad ones. Boy are they bad. 

I'm away at work next week, so I'll give it a go. Though after those reviews, I'm not hopeful!

On 11/12/2021 at 10:54, i-Ram said:

Watched House of Cards (USA) in recent weeks. Started well with Kevin Spacey well deserving of his acting acknowledgements. However by Series 4 the plot had been lost, and Series 6 (without Spacey because of real life ‘issues’ to deal with) must be up there with the most rubbish writing of all time. I guess I am saying avoid, but if you like the story premise watch the UK version.

Fgs I've only just got over susanna harker calling me "daddy"...... 

Sorry, you were saying.... ?

4 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Just finished S03. It's just brilliant. It won't be for everyone, but it doesn't aim to be and that's fine with me.

Roll on season 4.

Agree totally mate.

I find it hard to pigeonhole? Drama laced with sophisticated humour, that has storylines about family relations but elevated massively beyond the norm.

I will laugh at the occasional one-liner in something like 'Not Going Out' which is totally a basic vehicle to deliver 'jokes'. Succession is the opposite, its pretentions and aim is huge. 

I always feel it has lots of sub-text I'm not quite getting but that's good.