Watchable telly

dog

3 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Agree totally mate.

I find it hard to pigeonhole? Drama laced with sophisticated humour, that has storylines about family relations but elevated massively beyond the norm.

I will laugh at the occasional one-liner in something like 'Not Going Out' which is totally a basic vehicle to deliver 'jokes'. Succession is the opposite, its pretentions and aim is huge. 

I always feel it has lots of sub-text I'm not quite getting but that's good.  

I think it's a black humour laden drama. It's brilliance lies in its ability to portray vile and repugnant human beings in a fashion that 'entertains'. It's also intensely voyeuristic.

After @Anag Ram recommended it, I watched the first couple of episodes and commented on here that it must be the first program I've ever seen where I wished death by fire upon literally every main character. But therein lies it's brilliance, as despite the repellent nature of all of the main protagonists, for me, it's relentlessly compulsive viewing. Others will, justifiably perhaps, watch one episode and never watch another, with the difference perhaps being that those who indulge and indeed relish the show, probably, in some small manner, find elements of it relatable. A frightening thought indeed...

Edited by 86 Hair Islands
typo

36 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I think it's a black humour laden drama. It's brilliance lies in its ability to portray vile and repugnant human beings in a fashion that 'entertains'. It's also intensely voyeuristic.

After @Anag Ram recommended it, I watched the first couple of episodes and commented on here that it must be the first program I've ever seen where I wished death by fire upon literally every main character. But therein lies it's brilliance, as despite the repellent nature of all of the main protagonists, for me, it's relentlessly compulsive viewing. Others will, justifiably perhaps, watch one episode and never watch another, with the difference perhaps being that those who indulge and indeed relish the show, probably, in some small manner, find elements of it relatable. A frightening thought indeed...

The music sets it off perfectly too.

Don’t know if you have seen it but the interview Jeremy Strong (Kendall Roy) did last week was very illuminating.

He sets himself apart from the cast in real life too and takes it all very seriously.

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Don’t know if you have seen it but the interview Jeremy Strong (Kendall Roy) did last week was very illuminating.

He sets himself apart from the cast in real life too and takes it all very seriously.

I'll have a peep. 

6 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

He's a very odd fellow isn't he. Loved the Larry Olivier quote, 'My dear boy, you could always try acting' when dealing with the equally method-obsessed Dustin Hoffman. 

7 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I have this ready to go. LOVED the first 2 seasons and I hear the finale for this season was standout.

I know I said it before, but the scriptwriting is so clever and the acting is top-drawer whilst reaming deliberately tongue-in-cheek.

But much as I love it, I really cannot wait for this to drop on Saturday!

5 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I have this ready to go. LOVED the first 2 seasons and I hear the finale for this season was standout.

I know I said it before, but the scriptwriting is so clever and the acting is top-drawer whilst reaming deliberately tongue-in-cheek.

But much as I love it, I really cannot wait for this to drop on Saturday!

Get in, probably my favorite ever series Gomorrah.  Can't wait.

38 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Yep, it's up there for me too. Totally oustanding.

12 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Same here - even better than The Wire. Got series 4 recorded and was keeping it for a special treat in the New Year but now series 5 is imminent I'd better get a shift on!

You guys watched L'Immortale. It's a feature released between S04 and 5 as a bit of a placeholder. Worth a watch if you love the shows - doesn't quite scale the same heights, but it's a petty handy place setter.

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

You guys watched L'Immortale. It's a feature released between S04 and 5 as a bit of a placeholder. Worth a watch if you love the shows - doesn't quite scale the same heights, but it's a petty handy place setter.

Loved Gomorrah. One of the best TV series I can remember for a long time but L’Immortale? Meh. I thought it was OK but not much more.

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

Loved Gomorrah. One of the best TV series I can remember for a long time but L’Immortale? Meh. I thought it was OK but not much more.

Better than a 'meh' for me, but the makers have so much credit in the bank with me that I probably afford them more scope. It's a solid outing (perhaps more than that had the series' had never existed) and it certainly whet my whistle for the feast to follow.

Started catching up with This is Us (Prime) last night. Watched and loved season 1 a few years ago but for some reason didn't go back until my father in law reminded me about it a couple of weeks ago.

We now have 4 more seasons to watch - and after the first couple of S2 episodes we saw last night, it's going to be fun.

17 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Yes i watched L'Immortale not long ago, same as you, not on a par with the series but well worth a watch especially if you like the Ciro character.

14 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

You guys that have enjoyed Gomorrah so much, have any of you done Suburra, Blood on Rome?  Thinking of watching this over Christmas.

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Started catching up with This is Us (Prime) last night. Watched and loved season 1 a few years ago but for some reason didn't go back until my father in law reminded me about it a couple of weeks ago.

We now have 4 more seasons to watch - and after the first couple of S2 episodes we saw last night, it's going to be fun.

I was enjoying it until the actor character started to piss me off too much, the rest of it was pure emotional manipulation but I didn't mind that.

Edited by Coconut's Beard